TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

Wait until you see the Nike Covert 2.5 Cavity Back Mini DriverWood with asjustable loft + lie + weight distribution + color modifications. That's going to be revolutionary.

If is only a Deep faced 3 wood on steroirds... is not revolutionary anymore. Several companies did it already...

Revolutionary is a subjective term, especially in golf. Yes, this may be the same breed but a different size...but to golfers who have never known anything between a 460cc and a 150cc this WILL be revolutionary. If something changes the way he/she plays, attacks and manages a golf course then that sounds like it is worth the label.

I think most amateurs would benefit from getting rid of a traditional driver. Most people never learn to swing up on the ball with the driver and modern drivers aren't made to hit down on the ball. If these new super 3 woods let people swing more down on the ball, I really think it'll be huge for the average joe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most amateurs would benefit from getting rid of a traditional driver. Most people never learn to swing up on the ball with the driver and modern drivers aren't made to hit down on the ball. If these new super 3 woods let people swing more down on the ball, I really think it'll be huge for the average joe.

Why not just go with a high lofted driver then? I mean, a 3w has less surface area to hit and less of a sweet spot.

TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

Important to also know that a lot of tour pros hit down slightly with their driver.

A lot of amateurs can't hit drivers because a lot I amateurs don't have good (enough) swings. I also believe that too many amateurs have two swings, one for their driver and one for everything else.

Deep 3woods are a good thing because they are options. And options are good. IMO

Big Bertha is back 1990's style.

Why not just go with a high lofted driver then? I mean, a 3w has less surface area to hit and less of a sweet spot.

I think that a shorter shaft would also help

I never thought I would be hitting a 12° driver. Ever. When I hit it well, it's better than any other driver I've hit.

I think that a shorter shaft would also help

I really think this is why I am most interested in trying it. I want to see how having that shorter shaft with the bigger head affects ball flight and distance. Can't find these anywhere in Australia yet... assume they're on a boat somewhere.

I really think this is why I am most interested in trying it. I want to see how having that shorter shaft with the bigger head affects ball flight and distance. Can't find these anywhere in Australia yet... assume they're on a boat somewhere.

In the US they will not release until 5/2

I really like the look of this club. I don't have a need for it, but I definitely see where it can be of great benefit to a lot of people.

I really like the look of this club. I don't have a need for it, but I definitely see where it can be of great benefit to a lot of people.

Nobody seems to be able to explain this one to me, maybe you can.

I don't. I see it more as a course specific club if one wants to really get involved in their bag setup. I really don't think it's a club that is going to be a benefit to the masses out there.

Shorter club length would also help. May reduce overall distance, but could promote more accuracy.

JB.... I was contemplating this and I had a thought that was 2 fold.... One might be for the better player senior that just doesn't like the size of drivers this day and this might look better to the eye. For one, I love the look of a smaller head and that is why I might consider this.

My second thought which is somewhat random but what about the player that doesn't want to spend as much on a driver. This could possibly knock out 2 clubs depending on the loft and it is a little cheaper than buying both a driver and 3 wood. I know this would be an exception and not the rule but I can think of some people that might go this route to add another club on the other end of their bag

I don't. I see it more as a course specific club if one wants to really get involved in their bag setup. I really don't think it's a club that is going to be a benefit to the masses out there.

It is less forgiving than a regular sized driver and offers less adjustability (none) than its regular sized counterpart. If one is truly moving the ball left to right for their game quite a bit, I could see it as offering a bit more than that of the 430, but I just do not see how this is a good move for most consumers in their driver slot.

Shorter club length would also help. May reduce overall distance, but could promote more accuracy.

But one could reduce the length of their current driver without sacrificing the extra forgiveness.

JB.... I was contemplating this and I had a thought that was 2 fold.... One might be for the better player senior that just doesn't like the size of drivers this day and this might look better to the eye. For one, I love the look of a smaller head and that is why I might consider this.

My second thought which is somewhat random but what about the player that doesn't want to spend as much on a driver. This could possibly knock out 2 clubs depending on the loft and it is a little cheaper than buying both a driver and 3 wood. I know this would be an exception and not the rule but I can think of some people that might go this route to add another club on the other end of their bag

I dont disagree with either of those, but neither have performance benefits. FWIW, with the low spin being produced by these, I would find it hard to find a senior would get great benefits with it, but understand the look part of it.

Perhaps confidence will be more important as people use this club. It is a "hybrid" driver and nothing truly special, but I think it now gives everyone an excuse to play a little safer but still feel like they're hitting the big stick. My two cents.

It is less forgiving than a regular sized driver and offers less adjustability (none) than its regular sized counterpart. If one is truly moving the ball left to right for their game quite a bit, I could see it as offering a bit more than that of the 430, but I just do not see how this is a good move for most consumers in their driver slot.

I certainly would not throw this in instead of my driver. I agree that it's not a good move for probably 95% of the golfers out there.

Perhaps confidence will be more important as people use this club. It is a "hybrid" driver and nothing truly special, but I think it now gives everyone an excuse to play a little safer but still feel like they're hitting the big stick. My two cents.

This is my fear for the masses of golfers. They will think its safer, and they will be sacrificing quite a bit of forgiveness in doing so.

:comp::golf:

I did think a bit about that. Some people do have that anxiety over hitting a driver. Maybe this gives them a little more peace at mind? I dunno. I don't really have that issue so I can't really comment on if it would help or not.

Let me change "a lot" to "some". Where I see this club helps those who can't hit driver, but can hit a 3w off the tee all day long. You probably have seen it more than I have, but there are some people who flat out just can't hit a driver because of a mental block. Yet, when you give them a 3w they can't miss.

At the same time, there are those of us who don't, can't and won't hit a 3w off the deck. I don't often hit a 3w off the deck...very well, but use it more off the tee. I could actually see myself using this club, or one like it now that I think about it.

Not sure if that 100% answered your question.

Back