TaylorMade R1 Black Driver Preview

With Dan's announcement as the new staff writer, we are free to post our entries. Here's what I came up with for the R1 Black. I am not 100% sure these are the exact photos I used. If not, they are close. Enjoy (I hope)!

-------------------

Perhaps no other club is as much of a paradox as the driver. It is the club the average golfer loves to hit the most, but it is also the most difficult to control with accuracy. TaylorMade lends golfers a helping hand with the R1 Black, a driver which promises the same optimized performance through total adjustability as the original R1, but with a new darker crown.

Aesthetics
The R1 Black is TaylorMade’s first driver in three years not to feature a white crown. While it is tempting to become overly focused on just the new base color, a closer look reveals more.

Consider the graphic at the rear of the crown. The original R1 contrasts bold colors against a white background to create conspicuous “racing stripes.” The R1 Black treats this graphic much differently. Contrasting light and dark gray are set against translucent black, giving the graphic an almost holographic quality - its appearance can range from nearly imperceptible to comfortably visible, depending on the volume and direction of light applied to the crown.

In both cases the graphic fulfills its functional purpose of shaping the ball to the club at address. However, by contrasting colors against a dark background instead of white, the R1 Black achieves the objective in a more subtle and subdued manner than the original. Similar effects occur elsewhere on the crown, creating a visually appealing club.

Technology / From The Manufacturer
Three familiar adjustment devices form the technological heart of the R1 Black. The loft sleeve, adjustable sole plate and interchangeable weights combine to offer 12 loft options, 7 face angle settings and the ability to promote a straight ball flight or draw. They allow the club to be fine tuned to any swing for optimized performance.

Performance
The R1 Black offers a potentially staggering combination of possible configurations. It can take time to find your optimal settings. While the process can be expedited through a professional fitting or with TaylorMade’s free application for mobile devices, some patience is required.

On the other hand, experimenting with the settings is the best way to fully appreciate how the club can help you. Struggling with a fade? Adjusting the face angle or switching the weights can help straighten out your shot. Losing distance because you are hitting the ball too high? Adjusting the loft can bring down your trajectory, allowing you to gain additional rollout. While the club is definitely not a substitute for lessons and it will not fix your swing, it may help you enjoy the game more.

Two stock shafts are offered with the R1 Black: the 55g Aldila RIP Phenom and the 50g Fujikura RocketFuel. Each shaft paired nicely with the head during testing, though they offer slightly different characteristics. The Aldila provides a greater sense of stability and produces a more penetrating trajectory. The Fujikura is more active in the tip and effortlessly delivers additional trajectory. The availability of two shafts further enhances the player’s ability to fine tune the R1 Black to their swing.

While the R1 Black is louder at impact than many others drivers, dispersion and forgiveness are excellent. Distances achieved are within an expected and acceptable range. Feedback provided on mishits is informative without being punishing. This is a solid performer.

Conclusion
The R1 Black offers effective technology in an enticing package at a reasonable price (it is currently available for $199). The ability to adjust the driver to minimize the effects of a swing flaw or maximize distance makes the R1 Black an excellent option for golfers of varying skills.

That's a very nice review T4K!

I'd go buy one after that if I didn't already own one lol. Good job

Grip n Rip
@bigtazzGOLF

Great writeup there Frank!

Very nice write up Very good effort

Great write up. Gotta say I still love mine. Mmmmmmmm that black... so good.

Anyone know if the R1 adapter will fit another driver head?
I've got an aftermarket shaft with the R1 adapter and looking to either get another R1 head or maybe
something else if it'll fit.

Thoughts?

Anyone know if the R1 adapter will fit another driver head?
I've got an aftermarket shaft with the R1 adapter and looking to either get another R1 head or maybe
something else if it'll fit.

Thoughts?

I thought I read somewhere that they wireless with the SLDR, I've not tried it myself though.

RBZ Stage 2 and SLDR use the same adapter as the R1.

Edit: Its the same adapter, just marked differently.

I thought I read somewhere that they wireless with the SLDR, I've not tried it myself though.

RBZ Stage 2 and SLDR use the same adapter as the R1.

Edit: Its the same adapter, just marked differently.

Thanks, opens the field up some. Hopefully I can find a head fairly cheap.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Thanks, opens the field up some. Hopefully I can find a head fairly cheap.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

The Jetspeed and the New Adams driver also use the same adapter

I'm still gaming this driver and still loving it. At 11.25, neutral and heavy weight at the heel this club is just money for me. I get tempted by newer offerings now and again but then days like today - one missed FW and that was about 5 feet into the first cut, everything else straight, high and long (for me) - brings me back to reality. The game is so much fun when you play it from the middle of the fairway (and when you have confidence that's where your ball will be). LOVE me some R1 Black.

I'm still gaming this driver and still loving it. At 11.25, neutral and heavy weight at the heel this club is just money for me. I get tempted by newer offerings now and again but then days like today - one missed FW and that was about 5 feet into the first cut, everything else straight, high and long (for me) - brings me back to reality. The game is so much fun when you play it from the middle of the fairway (and when you have confidence that's where your ball will be). LOVE me some R1 Black.

Been wanting to try one for the longest time. My RFX is still money for me most of the time so no reason to switch, but the R1 is always in the back of my mind for drivers to hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been wanting to try one for the longest time. My RFX is still money for me most of the time so no reason to switch, but the R1 is always in the back of my mind for drivers to hit.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have struggled FOREVER off the tees - it has easily been the worst part of my game. I could never tame my open face at impact block right. Until the R1. At 11.25 the face is a touch closed and the weight helps me close the face. Together it just works for my natural swing motion. Driver is now pretty easily the strength of my game.

I keep trying to replace my R1 black, but it always finds it's way bag in the bag.

I was hitting my R1 Black the other day at the range. Still one of my favorites and would put it in play immediately if something happened with the SLDR

Back