TaylorMade R1 Black Driver Preview

That's what I was thinking, but then got all confused when he was talking about testing both the black and white with the same shaft.

I think he meant that each head had a different shaft (Aldila & rocket fuel) so it was really just a shaft comparison and not a head comparison.

I think he meant that each head had a different shaft (Aldila & rocket fuel) so it was really just a shaft comparison and not a head comparison.

That could be, I just got confused by his last sentence in the post when he was talking about Aldila shaft and both heads.

Heard back from TM and they offered me 2 shafts, the stock RIP Phenom or the Matrix 6Q3. According to the spec sheets they are very similar other than the 6Q3 being a bit heavier. Anyone hit both and share some insight?

Heard back from TM and they offered me 2 shafts, the stock RIP Phenom or the Matrix 6Q3. According to the spec sheets they are very similar other than the 6Q3 being a bit heavier. Anyone hit both and share some insight?

Odd that they wouldn't offer you the Fujikura, as that's a standard shaft. I don't know about the Matrix but I didn't love the Phenom. If heavier works for your game (and assuming you also didn't love the Phenom) I'd lean Matrix; if lighter works for your game I'd call back and ask about the Fujikura.

That's what I was thinking, but then got all confused when he was talking about testing both the black and white with the same shaft.

Yeah they're the same, but perform differently for me for some reason. And look different at address to me as well.

Taps away

TM has already come out with a new driver. The SLDR.

Reckon, the RBZ2 and R1 are now obsolete as I heard the SLDR produces 2 more yards with a 130 mph swing....

Reckon, the RBZ2 and R1 are now obsolete as I heard the SLDR produces 2 more yards with a 130 mph swing....

I don't think the SLDR is replacing the RBZ2 or the R1, it's just another option. I could be wrong though.

Why would they become obsolete?

Just a joke. They will not be obsolete. However, new offerings usually bring down prices of their predecessors.

Therefore, your new $300 to $400 driver will soon be selling for half.

I have decided I will be buying an R1...I just dont know if I want black or white.

I have decided I will be buying an R1...I just dont know if I want black or white.

Appearances are obviously subjective but to me this isn't even close. The Black is just beautiful with the graphics kind of hidden but still there. Also, the Black's face does seem to do a better job withstanding impact strikes with balls over the White.

Appearances are obviously subjective but to me this isn't even close. The Black is just beautiful with the graphics kind of hidden but still there. Also, the Black's face does seem to do a better job withstanding impact strikes with balls over the White.
yeah, I agree with you about the black looking good. I kind of want to go black but for some reason the white calls my name. decisions!

someone flat out stole Jordan's (smithfaced) on the Marketplace for $185 yesterday. what a great deal!

i was half-tempted to jump on it. i love the R1 in black...

yeah, I agree with you about the black looking good. I kind of want to go black but for some reason the white calls my name. decisions!

The black is gorgeous One-T. I like the stock setup, but it looks flat out awesome with the B Asha in it...

83F5D3A4-74F6-4E5E-A776-551B037C1ADA-28097-00000A2028D8D094_zps16c4acb3.jpg

3F09EAA2-73BC-492F-AB5F-AEDD2B27215D-28097-00000A203A53C33C_zps2da50d11.jpg

Either is a good choice. Bomb city with it dude

Also, the Black's face does seem to do a better job withstanding impact strikes with balls over the White.

Agree with this completely.

Taps away

Saw three of these used in golf smith today for 249, seemed like a decent deal for the one, looked like it had been hit just a few times. I wish I had gotten some more seat time with this driver, still would like to play a round or two with it sometime.

Saw three of these used in golf smith today for 249, seemed like a decent deal for the one, looked like it had been hit just a few times. I wish I had gotten some more seat time with this driver, still would like to play a round or two with it sometime.

You should just start golfing with me more often and you won't want to cheat on your XHot. When you just pictured my head teed up on the box in place of the ball you seemed to smash that thing!!!

Anyone else wish they would have made the R1 blacks headcover different from the original? I think one mostly black with the orange would look great.

Anyone else wish they would have made the R1 blacks headcover different from the original? I think one mostly black with the orange would look great.

I agree. I'd rock a black one.

I LOVE this driver. I had my best driving day ever, only missed 1 FW with it today and that was blatantly a bad swing. Everything else was just awesomely in the short stuff. I didn't catch a couple of them but they were in the middle of the fairway. I caught most of them flush and thanks to tee'ing them up higher and lowering the loft, I have found more distance. And best of all I had TOTAL confidence today that the right side of the fairway was simply out of play. I literally would stand over the ball and think to myself "Fire away, this ball is not going right." It was awesome. Seriously, before R1Black driver was the weakest part of my game.

I LOVE this driver. I had my best driving day ever, only missed 1 FW with it today and that was blatantly a bad swing. Everything else was just awesomely in the short stuff. I didn't catch a couple of them but they were in the middle of the fairway. I caught most of them flush and thanks to tee'ing them up higher and lower the loft, I have found more distance. And best of all I had TOTAL confidence today that the right side of the fairway was simply out of play. I literally would stand over the ball and think to myself "Fire away, this ball is not going right." It was awesome. Seriously, before R1Black driver was the weakest part of my game.

That's awesome! What do you have the loft down to now?

Back