2014 #TheGrandaddy - The Event Of A Lifetime

What's funny is that video doesn't interest me at all having been there. I think it would have taken from the mood.

I can see that when you stop and think about it, no camera means you aren't thinking about a camera and can just be you completely.

I can see that when you stop and think about it, no camera means you aren't thinking about a camera and can just be you completely.

I mean, it's not like we didn't flood twitter, vine, and the forum with coverage. It's just one of those things though. This was a very personal event in my mind and having a video camera following you around would have taken away from that imo. At least in an all-encompassing sense (like full video coverage).

I mean, it's not like we didn't flood twitter, vine, and the forum with coverage. It's just one of those things though. This was a very personal event in my mind and having a video camera following you around would have taken away from that imo. At least in an all-encompassing sense (like full video coverage).

It makes perfect sense to me, it really does.

I have to agree with some of the previous suggestions....

The drone needs to be there . . . even multiples.
Maybe just a few more participants. (purely a selfish request to increase my odds of getting in)
Video of the Q&A session with the R&D guys.

On the outside looking in, I tend to agree with Hawk. GG and I made sure to keep our distance around the course. Sure we were there for pictures, chat with the guys/gal from both squads and bring you some coverage, but while video would be great, I think that it does take away. The recaps and reviews as well as the live updates were incredibly detailed to shed some light on what went down.

We all know what happens when video is shot. People watch it and then never pay attention to any of the recaps and reviews. We have seen it with the Morgan Cup every year outside of a select few and the participants. This event is the Grandaddy of em all. It should be about the Zoo Crew, THP and sharing it all. Those words have a great impact than watching golfing videos.

I do think that having some videos are not a bad thing however. In fact I have put together an outline of 12-15 videos that I think would improve the overall quality of the coverage of the weekend and take some of the burden off Callaway in communicating it after the fact on products and such.

On the outside looking in, I tend to agree with Hawk. GG and I made sure to keep our distance around the course. Sure we were there for pictures, chat with the guys/gal from both squads and bring you some coverage, but while video would be great, I think that it does take away. The recaps and reviews as well as the live updates were incredibly detailed to shed some light on what went down.

We all know what happens when video is shot. People watch it and then never pay attention to any of the recaps and reviews. We have seen it with the Morgan Cup every year outside of a select few and the participants. This event is the Grandaddy of em all. It should be about the Zoo Crew, THP and sharing it all. Those words have a great impact than watching golfing videos.

I do think that having some videos are not a bad thing however. In fact I have put together an outline of 12-15 videos that I think would improve the overall quality of the coverage of the weekend and take some of the burden off Callaway in communicating it after the fact on products and such.

I agree about having some. Grouping selections would make a great video, snippets of fittings, etc. Just full coverage of the actual golf is what I'm talking about. That was some holy land golf right there - both the location and company. I wouldn't want that to change in any way for the next group.

I don't think the videos of the golf are needed...vines or tweets are great and allow the individuals to show what they think are important. The day at HQ though is stuff that we just can't get enough of.

From an outsiders stand point I couldn't see anything that would need to be added. However with that statement JB and GG always seem to never do the same thing twice.

I felt following along through the Live Update feed was great w/o needing video. On that note I would have enjoyed seeing the face plant into the door.

You're right on about the vids and what they do to all the other feedback and recaps, I never even thought about that but its true. A lot of really cool thoughts and memories get skipped over.

Plus, I love using words as descriptors myself, something I truly enjoy.

Some R&D based vids and such on line could be cool though for sure.

MAN there are some good thoughts and discussion here, makes you really think.

Thinking about that brought me right back to mid-fairway sipping on a cool drink with Matt, Johnny, Harry, and Kevin. Perfect weather. Ahhhhhhhhhhh. So relaxing.

Jeez that's really tough man. It was basically flawless.

-The course should stay the same if at all possible.
-Do Presidents Cup matchups for both rounds. That was really exciting and brought some intensity to the whole deal.
-Set blocks of time for any fittings that may or may not be happening :)
-Bus with a bathroom lol.

It's tough to critique anything. The Grandaddy was about as close to perfect as I could imagine.

The fitting session seemed time-crunched a little. But, in reality we were there for four plus hours. There was just so much stuff to try, though, that I could have been there for hours longer.

Learning that the extended Tank putters were there in hindsight was my only regret from the testing. Again, this isn't a slight by any stretch. The entire day at ECPC was beyond phenomenal. More time would have been better, but you could always say that.

I agree with this. I like that you can just live in the moment and not have to worry about a camera following you around. I liked the vines, twitter pics, and the like so everyone could experience it along with us, but a MC type coverage would kinda take away from the event.

I keep seeing this via Tapatalk and keep thinking it's Bill Gates...

4y4usy7y.jpg

Ok, question for both the "Dreamteam" and those that followed along. As we begin planning for making the 2nd annual Grandaddy as special as the first (if even possible), what are the things that we could do to make it better or what changes would you like to see made? Beginning to end, what would you like to make sure we do, what can we do to make it better, and what should we make sure we don't change.

For me, a couple things stand out:
-Need to ensure that TexasHacker is there and I compete against him (sorry, it had to be done)
-Need to treat the THP team like my wife and tell them we are leaving ten minutes before we really are to make sure we leave on time
-Everyone must bring their wallet and not leave it in Carlsbad (sorry, it had to be done)
-We need to not go to places with large glass doors and windows
-We must have a TON of fun

Look forward to what everyone has to say.
I like all of those ideas.

I'd say make sure Hideaway is the location again!!!

Ok, question for both the "Dreamteam" and those that followed along. As we begin planning for making the 2nd annual Grandaddy as special as the first (if even possible), what are the things that we could do to make it better or what changes would you like to see made? Beginning to end, what would you like to make sure we do, what can we do to make it better, and what should we make sure we don't change.

-Need to ensure that TexasHacker is there and I compete against him (sorry, it had to be done)
-Need to treat the THP team like my wife and tell them we are leaving ten minutes before we really are to make sure we leave on time
-Everyone must bring their wallet and not leave it in Carlsbad (sorry, it had to be done)

Jason, first of all we cannot thank you and Callaway enough. I am still at a loss for words of what this experience meant to all of us, truly life changing. For improvements, I gotta go with the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." However, if it will make it run smoother, that would be my only suggestion. Take from that what you will, but you can't pick apart perfection. Darn frost robbed us of 9 holes out there (yeah, that made ALL the difference) but everything, and I mean EVERYTHING about this was better than I had dreamed.

If only we were rolling tape when Sabella kissed the glass....and the "Callaway HR" reveal.

One thing I think that would of been kind of cool, is if we could of done a little Meet and Greet Social thing on the arrival night. Specifically down at the ECPC, do the tour, and stuff then, so there is more Range time, and the R&D talking lunch wouldn't of been pressed for time. Maybe follow that up with Drinks and a Dinner at the Hotel with everyone, not on ELY dime for dinner and drinks.

A few things that would be cool, but not sure how feasible:
If video of the golf is out, a live scoring site similar to PGA tour coverage would help those of us following along at home keep updated on matches
If at all possible, if clubs are part of the package, get them built and in play for competition so it's the best gear being played on both sides
Think the Goodyear blimp can provide some aerial shots? Then at least use the drone, maybe let someone besides Hashtag fly it?

I really can't think of anything else that would make this incredible event even better, but I know the innovative minds at THP and Callaway will find a way. #TheDos is going to be amazing.

The only thing beget then reading last year's recaps and live updates would be posting some myself :)

I can only think of a couple of things.
Maybe just a quick interview with the fitters while they are fitting the guys and why they have chosen what they have. It might not be possible but would be cool the hear their thoughts.
Im not sure full video coverage is required as I really enjoyed reading the reviews, and they gave you the feeling of actually being there as well.
Im sure what ever Callaway and THP have planned will memorable and amazing for the few guys lucky enough to make it, hope im one of them:D, but if im not ill be following along of course.

As far as videos go, I can see little out takes, like vines, but km not a huge fan of the live video feed at all.
Last year there were times where I felt like I wanted certain parts of the days we spent with Callaway and my team that I wanted to be more personal, and less about providing minute by minute coverage to the forum. I think as a whole we answered the call very well with bringing it back to the forum. We felt the support of the forum so something was working.

Last year was something new. This year it's something we've done, but not exactly. It will be awesome I'm sure. As the forum we need to support whomever is chosen through the entire process. Not just the last 4 days.

I know it's a small thing, but if everyone, Zoo Crew and THP used the same hashtag on twitter during the event on every tweet, that would be cool to keep it all connected.

I know it's a small thing, but if everyone, Zoo Crew and THP used the same hashtag on twitter during the event on every tweet, that would be cool to keep it all connected.

That would be super helpful. One hashtag for everything going on during the event. Last year I found myself scrambling all over twitter trying to follow along!

As a follower it's hard to imagine it could be better.

But I like Donnie's idea of the QA being filmed. I know the NDA could prohibit that though.

Talked to Kevin a lot last night about the event. One thing must stay the same. The course therefore more Sliders!!

As far as videos go, I can see little out takes, like vines, but km not a huge fan of the live video feed at all.
Last year there were times where I felt like I wanted certain parts of the days we spent with Callaway and my team that I wanted to be more personal, and less about providing minute by minute coverage to the forum. I think as a whole we answered the call very well with bringing it back to the forum. We felt the support of the forum so something was working.

Last year was something new. This year it's something we've done, but not exactly. It will be awesome I'm sure. As the forum we need to support whomever is chosen through the entire process. Not just the last 4 days.
Good point Kevin. Every Trip experience I've followed on here THP'ers and the staff do a great job of updating.

However it shouldn't be so much that it distracts the participants from taking it all in. After all for most it will be a once in a lifetime chance.

The recaps afterward are awesome.

Back