2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love powders and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go near this one haha

Fun story. I try to follow a feast and famine type eating program. Herbalife said that it is awful for metabolism. Until they looked at my resting metabolism and saw that it was higher than many of their regulars.

I've had good stretch of working out during the past month, this week is the first week I've had trouble to have the time, energy and time. 4 weeks back, not a single workout missed, 5 times a week, cardio & gym.

I've got the last week of my 3-week fathers leave, but this week I've had to work a couple of days still, and I got the ok from my wife to play a couple of rounds of golf.

Lost a few pounds and, my strength and endurance has gotten better, so everything is quite ok. Next week back to normal, back to work and 5 times a week workout.

Fun story. I try to follow a feast and famine type eating program. Herbalife said that it is awful for metabolism. Until they looked at my resting metabolism and saw that it was higher than many of their regulars.

hahaha nice. I love when the "experts" are wrong.

I've had good stretch of working out during the past month, this week is the first week I've had trouble to have the time, energy and time. 4 weeks back, not a single workout missed, 5 times a week, cardio & gym.

I've got the last week of my 3-week fathers leave, but this week I've had to work a couple of days still, and I got the ok from my wife to play a couple of rounds of golf.

Lost a few pounds and, my strength and endurance has gotten better, so everything is quite ok. Next week back to normal, back to work and 5 times a week workout.

NICE dude! Consistency is HUGE.

hahaha nice. I love when the "experts" are wrong.

I tried to explain to them that I am more concerned about what I eat as my activity level.

I think the herbalife program has merit. But to say there is only one way to eat smart is wrong.

Starting P90X3 with the wife tonight. I really enjoyed Blu's mass workout he sent me and I did that for about a month before life got in the way. Right now though I need to lose some mass, not gain it haha

I'd like to try P90X3, I've done both 1 & 2. Let me know your intial thoughts after week 1.

I'd like to try P90X3, I've done both 1 & 2. Let me know your intial thoughts after week 1.

Will do. I have done 1 and enjoyed it. I just need something more condensed for time right now.

I tried to explain to them that I am more concerned about what I eat as my activity level.

I think the herbalife program has merit. But to say there is only one way to eat smart is wrong.

THIS. I don't ascribe to a ton of body building myths as far as food- especially in Arnold's book. That being said, there are a few really good chapters identifying the different body types and how different body types gain muscle and process foods.

Will do. I have done 1 and enjoyed it. I just need something more condensed for time right now.

That is why I've stayed away, however I've heard they condensed and shortened the workout time.

Isn't p90x a 90 minute program? I guess the benefit is that it can be done at home.

60-75 depending on the day. The ab ripper bonus adds 15min

P90X! Good luck! I hear it is a beast and kudos to you for getting after it.

I have always had pretty good endurance, but not much strength in my upper body. I am working on changing that.

One of the main reasons I work out regularly is the extra energy I get the rest of the day. I have two young kids and I need all the energy I can muster to keep up with them!

Nutrition-wise, I don't drink Cokes and haven't for several years now. It is a cup of coffee in the morning and water (or sparkling water) the rest of the day. I might have a glass of wine or beer (or maybe a neat bourbon or margarita if it is the weekend) but tend not to this time of year due to allergies. For the last several months the wife and I have been eating non-processed, organic foods and making everything from scratch. If we don't make it, the food item has to have less than five ingredients and no chemicals. Do that for a month and you really start to feel alive! We decided to splurge and get some fast food a couple of weeks back (it was a local burger joint) and we just felt so bad afterwards. It was pretty amazing. Eating this way is not very cheap, but we feel it is worth it for our family.

Isn't p90x a 90 minute program? I guess the benefit is that it can be done at home.

No- it is 90 days. The program P90X 1 workouts are about 45 minutes to an hour. Except yoga is an hour and 15 minutes. P90x 3 is only 30 minutes per workout.

That is why I've stayed away, however I've heard they condensed and shortened the workout time.

Reading the booklet, the combo exercises are freaking genius.

THIS. I don't ascribe to a ton of body building myths as far as food- especially in Arnold's book. That being said, there are a few really good chapters identifying the different body types and how different body types gain muscle and process foods.

Different goals require different eating plans.

Henry Cavil for Man Of Steel ate 5000 calories a day with little regard on how they came.

P90X! Good luck! I hear it is a beast and kudos to you for getting after it.

I have always had pretty good endurance, but not much strength in my upper body. I am working on changing that.

One of the main reasons I work out regularly is the extra energy I get the rest of the day. I have two young kids and I need all the energy I can muster to keep up with them!

Nutrition-wise, I don't drink Cokes and haven't for several years now. It is a cup of coffee in the morning and water (or sparkling water) the rest of the day. I might have a glass of wine or beer (or maybe a neat bourbon or margarita if it is the weekend) but tend not to this time of year due to allergies. For the last several months the wife and I have been eating non-processed, organic foods and making everything from scratch. If we don't make it, the food item has to have less than five ingredients and no chemicals. Do that for a month and you really start to feel alive! We decided to splurge and get some fast food a couple of weeks back (it was a local burger joint) and we just felt so bad afterwards. It was pretty amazing. Eating this way is not very cheap, but we feel it is worth it for our family.

Thanks dude. Good to hear the family is buying into it as well!

Different goals require different eating plans.

Henry Cavil for Man Of Steel ate 5000 calories a day with little regard on how they came.

Exactly.

I think I have got my mind set on upping the amount of work I am doing.....badminton season finishes next week so I need to keep up the activity levels until it starts again in September

So I am going to try and increase the number of times I go running, and go by myself so that I can push myself rather than running at Jen's pace as that won't be enough to keep the fitness heading in the right direction once I stop playing badminton

We also have some free weights at home so want to start using these, even if it is just simple stuff for arms and chest and using them as additional weight while doing lunges - so if anyone has some simple routines that they can fire over my way that would be appreciated

I keep saying it to myself, but I really need to get the mountain bikes sorted out as well so we can go cycling to have a change from just running

Your going to have opening up the pocketbook. I don't want to sacrifice workout for faster.

Yup. It looks really well done right now. I may feel differently after doing it, but right now I like what I have read.

What are the opinions on Nitric Oxide supplements? I used to take them before a workout and thought they were great until I started feeling funny during sessions.

What are the opinions on Nitric Oxide supplements? I used to take them before a workout and thought they were great until I started feeling funny during sessions.

Like beta alenene tingly like funny?

Right now, I am against all supplements, other than a select few protein powders from a select few companies that I consider "safe" (EAS, Muscle Milk and Naked Juice- nothing else). The supplement industry is rampant with misinformation and safety issues. I just choose not to be a part of it.

Like beta alenene tingly like funny?

I've bounced through a few different version, NO-Xplode, C4 and Muscle Pharm Assult. I just started seeing some adverse reactions if I dont start working out almost immediately after taking it. NO-Xplode definitely had the worst beta alenene tingle for me. th C4 stuff was alright but I didnt really get the kick in the butt like I do from the Assult. I'll probably try to stop taking it for a month or so and start back up in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back