Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

Glad you liked your shaft change, not every change is for the better.

That's for sure. Luckily had some good experience with the 90's in the past to go off.

I want to do some big old write up on these, but I'm tired, have work to do, and ain't nobody got time for that anyway.

Happy I hung in there and recognized that I could make them something special with a better fitting shaft. Interestingly, I've lost some of that 'launch monitor magic' that sort of blew my mind, but the on-course performance is much more playable for me now. Easier to swing, easier to get up in the air, and just generally more suited towards what I'm trying and able to do.

My irons I ordered are still not here; it's killing me.

Weather is warmed up, the range is open; and I am interested to see if the low launching XS shaft works on the range.

A question; I ordered 5i-PW, 48* wedge; thinking I might get the 4i. Will not use it much (I hit the 5i plently long), but thinking if/when I get something new it would make the set more desireable.
Am I crazy?

Last edited:
Are you crazy? Not really. Lots of people like 4 irons. Me personally, I prefer a hybrid, but that is preference and I like the forgiveness.

I went with 5-PW AP1 and have an X2Hot 4h in my bag. Love it!

Yep, that is what I will play. Will likely not even carry the 4i. But for resale, seems like it would be worth the extra $$
right?

Yep, that is what I will play. Will likely not even carry the 4i. But for resale, seems like it would be worth the extra $$
right?

That I cant answer. Never really thought about resale when buying a set of clubs. I want to play them and love them. I cant imagine spending more up front necessarily leads to making it back up when reselling however.

Our fitting cart got updated yesterday. Hit 6i with C-Taper Lite in it........ummmm I need them in my life.

Solid arent they?

Solid arent they?

The look is super clean, yet they're super easy to hit. It's like the best of all worlds.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My irons I ordered are still not here; it's killing me.

Weather is warmed up, the range is open; and I am interested to see if the low launching XS shaft works on the range.

A question; I ordered 5i-PW, 48* wedge; thinking I might get the 4i. Will not use it much (I hit the 5i plently long), but thinking if/when I get something new it would make the set more desireable.
Am I crazy?

You aren't crazy, I'm think like you. I have the 4 iron, it gets used once in a while but not a whole lot. I do think that sets of irons these days that go from 4i to wedge are more desirable, at least to me. I have made a couple of club changes recently so my 4i may not be shown in the WITB but it always goes to the course.

You aren't crazy, I'm think like you. I have the 4 iron, it gets used once in a while but not a whole lot. I do think that sets of irons these days that go from 4i to wedge are more desirable, at least to me. I have made a couple of club changes recently so my 4i may not be shown in the WITB but it always goes to the course.

IMO, it depends on the set.

For a player's set, either 3-PW or 4-Gap is probably acceptable. I think for GI or SGI, 4-Gap and even 5-Gap is ok because these days 3 and 4 hybrids are pretty well accepted at the amateur level.

I think that when it comes to resale a buyer is just as likely to ask "does it come with the 4i" as they are "do I have to take the 4i"?

Got another 18 in today with these. It was just effortless to get the ball up in the air. For the first time ever I stuck a green with a 5i. My playing partners were all amazed at how well my iron play was. I only misses 6 greens.

I did have a problem when trying to swing out of my shoes though. I just can't seem to force anything with these clubs. If I let if flow naturally though......money, just pure money.

That is some very solid iron play AH!

I'm still happy with my setup. Launch is definitely higher, as is spin, with the tour 90's, which has actually sapped a little distance for me, but I like my trajectory and it's more consistent. Had some missed last round that either still found the green or were just shirt.

Feel is awesome. Love these irons at impact.

Adam, glad to read that the irons are working well for you, I am still waiting for courses here to dry up and open so I can get back out.

Was able to have a hit of these yesterday. Great clubs. I sent my dad for his 50th to be fitted for a new set. He hit and loved the AP1's. Absolutely loving them. Able to work the ball and do what he wants. I still prefer the feel off the face of my Rocketbladez but geez the AP1 are a great club. Really great review guys though I'm not after a set just wanted to drop in and say that these are a really great set with some excellent workability from the round I played with theme.

I'm contemplating selling my irons and picking up a set of these. I hear nothing but praise about these irons. At first I was skeptical about not being able to become "really good" with these irons and learn how to shape shots etc. The more and more I read I see how the consistency and forgiveness of these outweighs almost everything else. I'm nowhere near the level I think I am by thinking these will hold me back. I need to swing these. Huge reality check.

Great irons JOEE. Easy transition from something smaller to a set like this imo.

I like the set I have, they're great irons as well. However, Every 1 or 2 times out of 10 I'll hit a weird shot with one of my blades. The AP2's I don't have problems with, but I'm looking for the ultimate consistency. These clubs seem to have just that.

I like the set I have, they're great irons as well. However, Every 1 or 2 times out of 10 I'll hit a weird shot with one of my blades. The AP2's I don't have problems with, but I'm looking for the ultimate consistency. These clubs seem to have just that.

That is one of the main reasons i bought them, because they were the most consistent club when hit flush and when hit off a little bit.

So, took my interest in these one step further today by doing a little self fitting with our fitting cart, tapes, and lie board.

Want to check the specs again with our pro, but looks like 1* flat and .5" short. Noticed on the impact tape that I was hitting a lot close to the heel, so broke out lie board and length adjustment tape (not sure the proper name) and realized that I should have just over 1* flat, but figure the shorter shaft will bring it to that number on the dot.

Hit them with C-Taper Lites and KBS Tours. Love the feel of the Tours (which I'm currently hitting), but the lighter weight of the CTL's made me feeling smoother when loading them up and the impact tape showed this as, though towards the heel, were much more consistent.

Also did some work with AP2's. The AP2's are obviously an amazing iron and my numbers were not really different, little lower launch, but that's about it. Would rather have that extra little help for days that are far from perfect. In the middle of the face, honestly I couldn't tell any difference between the two.

I didn't think my irons would be changing this year when I decided to finally start making changes to my back and get some stuff that fits me as most of my stuff has just been bought by me or hand-me-downs from the pros at work. These are just too good to pass up on for me. Will wait to get it out on the actual range before ordering, but I have a feeling these will be in the back in the next month or two.

So, took my interest in these one step further today by doing a little self fitting with our fitting cart, tapes, and lie board.

Want to check the specs again with our pro, but looks like 1* flat and .5" short. Noticed on the impact tape that I was hitting a lot close to the heel, so broke out lie board and length adjustment tape (not sure the proper name) and realized that I should have just over 1* flat, but figure the shorter shaft will bring it to that number on the dot.

Hit them with C-Taper Lites and KBS Tours. Love the feel of the Tours (which I'm currently hitting), but the lighter weight of the CTL's made me feeling smoother when loading them up and the impact tape showed this as, though towards the heel, were much more consistent.

Also did some work with AP2's. The AP2's are obviously an amazing iron and my numbers were not really different, little lower launch, but that's about it. Would rather have that extra little help for days that are far from perfect. In the middle of the face, honestly I couldn't tell any difference between the two.

I didn't think my irons would be changing this year when I decided to finally start making changes to my back and get some stuff that fits me as most of my stuff has just been bought by me or hand-me-downs from the pros at work. These are just too good to pass up on for me. Will wait to get it out on the actual range before ordering, but I have a feeling these will be in the back in the next month or two.

Very nice dude. I think (with the right shaft) they are even better outdoors, which isn't true about all clubs for me.

Very nice dude. I think (with the right shaft) they are even better outdoors, which isn't true about all clubs for me.

That's the thing for the AP1 vs AP2 debate for myself. Sure the numbers are pretty equal, but I'm no amazing ball striker. Would rather take the side of caution and play something with a little extra help. Something my current irons don't offer.

That's the thing for the AP1 vs AP2 debate for myself. Sure the numbers are pretty equal, but I'm no amazing ball striker. Would rather take the side of caution and play something with a little extra help. Something my current irons don't offer.

On the monitor they've been very forgiving toe-side and low for ball speed loss, but also outdoors. I think there are probably others out there that could outperform them there, but not necessarily in the same package. The tungsten insert is a big help I think. I had 4 misses during my last outing witht them that come to mind, 3/4 either just short or front of the green (fringe) rather than back and I was 3/4 scrambling on those holes, with the bogey coming thanks to a pull hook and subsequent poor pitch shot.

Back