#TheKing w/ Callaway Golf - Final Rosters

I agree with Freddie that it seems a little less thought out than the other holes, but hell I'll take an easier hole anywhere I can find it on this beast of a course haha

Just getting caught up after a long day. Love the look of the crowns, those look sweet. Also liking all the hole pictures and insights. Couple of those holes look pretty tough, but it's going to be so much fun. Our own version of a Masters invite.

THP #theking #imwithchad

So question for the players on each side. How have you prepared for this event? What has been your plan and have you hit your goals?

So question for the players on each side. How have you prepared for this event? What has been your plan and have you hit your goals?

I was a late addition to #TheKing, but I've been working my butt off since before the Ultimate Club Testing in January to be ready for THP events this year. I really wanted to get a shot at PGA National by winning an Invitational.

I bought GolfTec lessons in January and I've seen a big improvement in my consistency off the tee and in my irons. Short game is finally starting to come around and I purchased a Birdieball green so I could really work on my putting, which has been the weakest part of my game lately. It's helped a ton and I putt every night, constantly working on my stroke.

I've broken 80 twice in the last month and I that was main goal this year: break 80 more and become a single digit handicap. The handicap is trending downward and my scores are improving, so I'm right where I want to be as far as my 2014 goals go.

I feel like I've played my best golf at the 3 THP events I've been to this year and I'm hoping my game will be peaking whenever I make the trip down to this amazing event in less than 14 days.

This is my first team event and I want to make my teammates proud. I can't wait to get down there and compete. I've put in the work to improve, it's just time to see the results of all of this work under pressure.

I don't know of a way I could be more ready. Typing all of this has my heart pounding. I wish I could tee it up and compete right now!

#ImwithChad

Since I was a late add I had no plan specifically for this event so I haven't hit or missed any milestones.

I did put into place my MC prep from last year when I was a month out. Range sessions with a purpose, yoga and mad trash talk.

I started seeing a new pro and we are working on a few small things that I have put in play from day one. I'll be in a good place when the first tee is on the ground

Great questions TNT. I have prepared by working on some specifics in NY game that have given me trouble in the past, spending quite a bit of range time to get the winter rust off. I also worked hard on my overall fitness and stamina spending time in the gym with strength and cardio training like I haven't done in years.

My plan centered around those things, and while I haven't achieved my goals in either space just yet, I can see my work paying off both on and off the course. With 14 short days to go l will be ready!

#ImWithHarry

typo's courtesy of Samsung Galaxy S4 autocorrect... Enjoy!

Since I found out I got in, I have been hitting the range at lunch 3 days a week and playing on the weekends. My focus is working on my driver, keeping swing compact and not pulling off the ball.

My 1st goal was to get healthy. In December I had Rhabdomyolysis which was darn near fatal. After getting released from the hospital I couldn't lift my 2 or 4 year old and would get exhausted simply walking up the stairs. I've been working with a physical trainer for the last couple of months and feel my strength is close to what it was. Which is a good feeling since I was told it should take at least 6 months.

I've had 5 sessions with my pro working on some items. They seemed to come along pretty quickly and look forward to see if I can bring them to the course. Also had a putting lesson with the Putt Doctor who was in town with my pro on a SAM lab to understand my "pressure miss" a bit more. One thing I discovered was that I had a poor putter fit that I'm getting addressed and a setup flaw that is going to take some time to get comfortable with. The setup flaw caused poor alignment, a outside stroke on the backstroke and a slight cutting motion with hold off. The funny thing was that I was "pro" consistent with it according to the SAM machine. Basically we all agreed that although I was consistent with it, it wasn't something that has held up under pressure nor would.

My home course opened up yesterday and plan on getting some range time in and my 1st round in over the weekend. Hopefully another round next week and more range time. Then range time and a few rounds in Florida before the event when down there with family. After all that I should be in pretty good shape for the event. Considering the winter we've had weather wise and where my health/body was 4 months ago... I'm very pleased.

I bought a five pack of lessons and have taken two to date. My pro will not let me move until I have passed his test that verifies I have the techniques he is teaching down without a doubt. I'm ready to take the test for lesson two and have a third lesson prior to heading to Florida. I have work on my driver, hybrids, mid irons on one lesson and focused on wedge shots with the 2nd lesson. Next lesson on the agenda will be chipping and putting around the greens on different lies, slopes, etc.

I play match play type rounds with friends to prepare me physically and mentally for the King.

I hit balls around my home from different distances for my wedge practice. I have access to farmland around my home that's like having a driving range as your yard.

I've added a new putter to my bag that has given me more confidence and consistency. It was well worth the price. I also have some other secret weapons on the agenda and will be putting hours of practice time in with them. We have unlimited range balls with our membership and excellent practice facilities so I have it all at my fingertips. I'm retired so I have all the time in the world to practice pending weather permits.

I have two hard courses on my agenda to play in the next two weeks to test my skills on the road. This will be a good gauge as to how my game has progressed.

I feel like I have a couple more issues to prep and I will be ready to rumble.

I've done a number of things to prepare for the event. I upgraded my equipment, and I've taken 6 lessons since the middle of January. In between lessons, I've been in to practice a few times each week, and I have been working on my putting stroke at home. I played a a few difficult courses in California, and I played a round at a new course to me here at home. I don't think I've ever practiced and worked on my game more than I have played rounds ever, but spending more time practicing has paid some dividends already. I've also started working out in the mornings, doing a core exercise that is quick but effective.

I feel like I am in a better place at the start of this season than I was at the end of last season. Having to prepare for #theKing has really motivated me to do work, even though it can be hard during the winter we've had. It goes to show that where there's a will, there's a way.

I'm getting excited to follow this one. Looks to be a really cool event and even more so being that have played the courses before and know a couple guys on the teams. GL to you all in the final preps!

Taps away

#TheKing w/ Callaway Golf - Final Rosters

Final hole on the International and most likely a layup par 5 for me:

C50E9A56-280A-442D-9A07-D245EA058D14.gif

short game, short game, short game. I have swapped between 6 different wedges since being selected and have finally settled on my AW, SW and LW. Really focused on playing as many shots as possible with fulle and abbreviated AW swings as well as all types of SW swings. The LW is only there for a really tight lie or extremely short sided pitch/flop.

I knew all along my putting would be my strength but I have still made time to hit the putting greens on lunch breaks to stay sharp. I have rolled hundreds more putts this winter then I ever have. I'm taking nothing for granted.

I have also tried to get the 200-230 gap filled and get some practice there as well. I have settled on my 5w (so far seeing positive results early, more work to come) and 4h for those gaps and decided the 3w will simply not be used off the deck. This is not much change from my normal strategy as I hardly hit 3w off the deck. I am the Zach Johnson of par 5's...only not as good. I plan to work on 3w off the deck after #TheKing but I tried to keep my priorities as practice time is limited.

My driver and I have a pretty good relationship. I have focused on swing technique more than driver tinkering and/or results as BBA will take her rightful place in my bag upon arrival. The plan is to have a solid swing foundation that should work regardless of what driver is in my hands.

When I found out I was in #TheKing I was really in a state of limbo with my golf game. It was good enough to have fun, but not good enough for me to hold any confidence that I will play well on any particular day. Being up here in Vancouver options are kind of limited for winter practice so I decided to use the best thing I could, whatever courses were open.

I looked into GolfTec but I was really unimpressed with the pro there in talking to him, not to mention the prices are tough to stomach, and I talked to a few pros at my home course and they all said that I need a swing rebuild if I'm serious about golf, and I don't have enough time to change it and hone it prior to this event. I took it upon myself to just try and work on everything that plagues my game and costs me strokes by playing rounds as often as I could over the winter.
I played a serious amount of golf this past winter in some brutal weather, but I think it was worth it. I have confidence right now with my long irons, something I thought I'd never have. I am hitting the ball much better from imperfect lies which took a TON of practice. My wedge game isn't stellar, but it is reliable and I'm improving every day. Over the last 5 months I have dropped my average score from 84.5 to 82.5 which is progress that I'm really happy with.

The only part of my game that hasn't improved is my putting, but it's tough to tell because the greens here in the winter are hardly true and consistent. When I was in Palm Springs in March my putting was the best part of my game so hopefully that transfers to Orlando!

I feel like right now my game is every bit as good as it was at the end of last season, if not better, and I'm really happy to be starting a season on the right foot like this.

My main goals since being chosen have been:

1) Get my swing fixed so I quit hitting short and right
2) Improve my putting, particularly by making more under 10ft putts
3) Improve short game and bunker play

And these all line up with my overall goal for my game this year, which is to hit a single digit handicap or at least be sniffing it by the end of the year. I addressed #1 by getting a set of 4 lessons late last year and early this year, which resulted in some swing changes that have slowly fallen into place over the last few months - the result is that my iron distance is much more consistent, and a little longer, and my predominant miss is left now. Still miss right sometimes, especially if I'm tight and not swinging well, but it's a better miss right, not a weak push fade like it used to be.

#2 I have been working on consistently since being chosen, I have solidified my putting routine much more, and I've been working on keeping my shoulders out of the stroke and putting with a pure pendulum motion as much as possible. For the most part, it has helped - I definitely make more 1 putts on average now, and I don't pull putts as frequently, but sometimes I have some small issues with speed as the way I control my distance has changed slightly. Drilling that in the next few weeks.

And #3, I have definitely been hitting the chipping and pitching game pretty hard on the short game area at my local course, and that has been helping immensely, particularly on the chipping. I am giving myself way more reasonable opportunities at 1 putts now than I ever have, which is awesome. The jury is still out on the sand play, because our bunkers are basically mud pits right now, but I have been in there anyways trying to solidify my swing/routine a bit. I've definitely mitigated my issues leaving the ball in the bunker - almost always get it out at least now, but need to work on a good way to think about distance control.

So I feel like I've definitely accomplished some good things. SO ready for the event!!

Last edited:

Yeeeep, that's almost definitely a layup for me as well. Not sure how much carry is required, but I'd think about a 3W off the tee here, and plan the second shot so that I have a GW or PW on the 3rd shot and try to hit it close.

Only a fortnight, gentlemen. Only a fortnight until we all converge on Championsgate for this most regal event. Time to put the finishing touches on the ole game and get ready for battle!

My prep plan for the event was to play my normal amount of golf over the winter but add in additional short game and putting practice. The plan was to wait until the time change in March to put in more serious work which was to be two 9 hole rounds a week and at least one 18 hole round a week plus range, short game and putting sessions.

With a surprise bonus from work was able to throw lessons in late. Had the first one a week ago and have another planned for next week.

My goal was to stay in the single digits over the winter (something I haven't done the last three years), then get down to around a 9 or 8.5 by the time the event started.

I did manage to stay just barely inside the single digit line and I'm holding at 9.9 right now. I'm currently trending to a 9.5 and should get in at least one more 18 hole round before the next revision.

Overall I'm happy with where I'm at. Short game and putting are definitely improved over last year. Wish I could have started the lessons 2 months earlier. Even only 1 lesson in, when I swing the way my instructor wants, I'm much more consistent with distance and accuracy than I was before.

Bottom line I'll be ready in 2 weeks. I should be trending about 2 to 2.5 index points better than the same time last year.

Took advantage of taking my daughter for a practice round for her upcoming High School Golf Team Regional tournament and got in a "JB Challenge" round. Played Canongate on White Oak - Seminole course for the first time. Played the blue tees at 6,220 yards which are a 70.0/131 rating/slope. Next tees back were 6673 which are just a bit too long for me. Shot a 39/42 for 81.

Played really well and was able to hit most all of my shots the way my instructor has me working. Didn't drop many putts though, but for greens I'd never played before I wasn't too unhappy. Had good lag putting and burned a few edges. Had one triple bogey that could have been avoided with a smarter play off the tee.

This is a great finishing hole. The smart play if the 2nd set of bunker on the left side of the fairway. Longer hitters can walk it around the corner and get some roll out. The hole plays down hill. The hazard on the right is a ball magnet. Laying up is tricky with bunkers and rough down the left hand side. Long green that is very narrow in the first. 1/3.

Barry, nice round there on a pretty tough course!

Well, I had a very light week of work so I took full advantage with lots of practice for #theKing. 4 trips to the range with a round of golf wedged in the middle. The round of golf exposed an issue in my swing (tempo problems, what a surprise) that I think I ironed out these last 2 range sessions. I went back to an old tip from years past and it just worked for me. (Keep your back to the target as long as possible). I was just crushing my irons and hybrids today with this simple swing thought. Unfortunately, its not quite translating to my driver fully yet because I'm a mental midget.

Here's where the SC100 device really helps with feedback: I was actually swinging my mashie 1 hybrid faster than my driver today, here's what I was doing with the M1 (set it at 4 wood as there's no 1 or 2 hybrid option):

With a shaft that is about 5 inches shorter, that should just not be possible. This coming week I will be working on that hybrid swing tempo for my driver.

Tomorrow I'm playing in a golftec tournament so I'll be putting my work to more in game practice.

Time is getting short, and I don't want to have any regrets!

Got a round planned tomorrow with THP'ers up in BC tomorrow on a tough Arnold Palmer track that used to host a PGA event, so that will be a really good indication of whether I can just upkeep till the event, or whether I still have some tweaking to do. Also hoping for a lesson Sunday morning to address some issues Freddie saw in my last range session - no major changes, but I need to get back to the inside-out swing path that has been working for me since making my swing changes. I think I got a little too "arm-y" with my swing yesterday, causing a slight OTT move and some fades with irons that I haven't really seen in a while. Again, nothing serious, but I could do with a tune up from my instructor for sure!

Thanks for all the responses everyone. As I am getting ready for the MC it is good to see how others are preparing for such a big event.

Finally getting a chance to sit down and relax a bit, and do some THPing. To answer TNT's question, I have been working hard on my golf game the best I can being in Alaska. I caught the golf bug late, as I'm just entering my third full season of playing. This is also the first winter I have worked during the off season. I have been taking lessons, going to golf dome when I can (it's only open during the day, and rented out for soccer in the evenings). I've played many, many rounds on the simulator, and have a net and mat in my garage. I try and do something every single day, whether full shots, short game, putting, and reading the Dave Pelz books. I went to Seattle in February to be able to play a few rounds outside. I had two decent rounds there, and one awful one with Skibumgolfer, although that one was really fun (and wet / sloppy). Tomorrow I have two dog agility training classes, but have a few hours in between that I can hit the one outdoor range that is opened. If the course is open, I might try and play the nine hole pasture. I'm not the greatest golfer, in fact, probably the farthest from, but I have worked my butt off to improve. I will go to Florida with no regrets, and I will try my darnedest for my team. That is the best I can do.

THP #theking #imwithchad

Back