Renegar Golf Wedges

Not just the image. They partnered with Aldila for graphite wedge shafts as the offering.
Thanks for the clarification. Will be interesting to see how the graphite shafts from Aldila in the wedges compare to what Cleveland did with the Miyazakis in the Black wedges and the 588s.

Their website is an interesting read...packed with information, and sprinkled with a few claims of patent infringement by other club makers. Colour me intrigued!

They're on sale at kingdom59.com for $149 for a single wedge, $279 for two, $389 for 3, $479 for 4.

Has anyone seen the commercial for these? They seem to be marketing them in a big way. Saw the ad on the Golf Channel the other night...

Shanker / Tadashi / et al -

As the designer of the Renegar Rx12 wedges, it looks like it is time for me to get into this discussion myself and offer a little explanation regarding my patent and my design work. I actually most appreciate your interest in our new product - it is generating quite a little buzz in the biz.

I did in fact found Solus golf in 2003 and design that product (and other similar product in the 10 years before that). I originally developed and patented this sole contour concept. It is a utility patent and not a "grind" as many of my competitors would describe it. The Renegar Golf wedges are the fifth generation of this development that I have now been working on for more than 18 years.

These golf clubs enjoyed their first PGA Tour victories in 2002. That was followed by many more wins in the hands of marquis players, including a handful of majors (look at the sole contour on the cover of the April 2009 Golf Digest). Most of these wins, however, remain "unofficial" - in that many PGA tour players will take their contract clubs through the Darrell Survey club count on Thursdays and change to their real "gamers" for the balance of their weekly play. My clubs were the real gamers used by some PGA Tour players on weekends.

I will not argue the merits of the design in this forum. I think the continued tours usage speaks well to that and the fact that my design has been copied by EVERY major OEM except one for their tour players (I have the pictures from the tour bags to prove it).

We would instead urge you to take the time to visit our web site at renegargolf.com to learn what is really happening here from a design standpoint. This is a next generation in golf club design for the wedges category (after 80 years of Sarazen bounce soles) and surely cannot be explained in this limited space. The slot in the sole is "interesting," but I assure you it is much more than that - it is doing some amazing things. This is indeed a new paradigm for short game club design.

If improved playing versatility, better control, and greatly improved accuracy (read shorter putts and lower scores) are of interest to you as serious players, come to renegargolf.com and see what is coming next to the short game.

Thanks for your interest - I will continue to check back with this thread when I can and answer more questions as they come up.

Bob Renegar
Renegar Golf Founder and Designer

Bob, very cool of you to hop on here and spread a little info! I guarantee you it will be appreciated by many (and frankly is just cool as heck to get any info directly form the horses mouth on things).

Welcome to THP.

I agree Jman, interesting info in there. I like all the info on the website when I checked it out when this thread was posted but as with most smaller companies, the moment I see not left handed models, I check out.

Welcome to the forum, and I congratulate you on designing a winning wedge!

I would like to see these pictures you have, can you post them?

I won't comment further since I haven't tried the club, but I believe that it takes a lot more than just a new sole design to achieve improved playing versatility, better control, and greatly improved accuracy (read shorter putts and lower scores).

Icemann / guys -

Thanks for the nice welcome and nice comments. Actually, the sole technology alone does make a huge difference in performance, but we have done much more than that one improvement with this club. It includes new design strategies for facing and grooves, and we have done a year's worth of R&D with Aldila and Lamkin to develop our short game composite shaft and wedges grip. Any one of these improvements alone would give you some scoring advantage - collectively, they will absolutely give you shorter putts and lower scores - We have extensive TrackMan live player testing that confirms greater accuracy over and over again when tested against the two wedge sales leaders . . . OR you can just keep playing state-of-the-art 1930's wedges if shorter putts don't appeal to you.

We are thinking about putting up the pictures on our web site, but there are possible patent infringement legal issues and new working relationships with tour players at stake, so we have not made that determination yet. Look at that Golf Digest cover.

And for you lefties, check our web site periodically - we have begun working on it, but it will surely be this fall earliest.

Bob Renegar

Very interesting concept and I'd love to be able to try them out somehow.

Always awesome to get the designer/builder to chime in. This happens a lot on a guitar forum I belong to. Nice to have someone that knows everything about a club/guitar giving out information.

I'd love to try these sometime, but from a brand as little known as Renegar, the odds of finding one to try are slim. I'd be amazed if my scores got lower due to the different wedge and not my tecnique.

too bad no one sells these up in manitoba here, definately in the market for some new wedges, and these, would definately help, if they do what they say

These have come down in price....
i am real interested in these....but would love to hit them first. They are based here. Maybe I should stop by.

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on one or two of these wedges to try it out!!! Anyone tried these on here for some feedback?

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on one or two of these wedges to try it out!!! Anyone tried these on here for some feedback?

Check out the Solus review on the home page. Similar setup. I liked it and gamed it for half of last year.

Back