TaylorMade SLDR S Driver & Metal Woods

mikedean441

6X HOF
Reaction score
Handicap
Hearing some rumors that TaylorMade has the SLDR S line coming out very soon. It appears the line will be Driver, Fairway Woods and Hybrids and adjustability will be absent.

Low and forward center of gravity will continue, just not as low and forward as the original SLDR.

Heard about a launch in about a month.

Not as low means higher spin, its needed IMO, they need a viable option for those who don't need ultra low spin.

Not as low means higher spin, its needed IMO, they need a viable option for those who don't need ultra low spin.

I'm thinking the same thing. Gives a guy like me a fighting chance at liking this one

Interesting......... Really interested in the fairway woods and hybrids to see if some additional forgiveness will be a result of these changes

I dont really understand the driver other than fitting into a pricepoint in the market. I am sure they will have their reasonings though

Boo for no adjustability. Higher spin could be good for more golfers. If it's still low and forward I will be interested to see how that translates in terms of forgiveness.

On the one hand, I like the idea that they're aware that the SLDR simply does not match the swings of people who need a bit more spin and forgiveness in their lives.

On the other...how confident is TM, really, in the notions they've trumpeted as the future, such as the rule of 17, low forward CG, and loft up, if they're releasing a line of clubs that is less of those things?

Would rather have seen something like this first, then seen them release the SLDR as the "next step" toward those things. This release feels...opportunistic. Reactionary, even. Where does this sort of thing sit? Between the SLDR and JetSpeed? Or even more in the game improvement category?

The lack of adjustability does not bother me. Once I find settings driver that work best for me, I don't change them. So basically, find what works before you get it and then there you go.

If this does add a bit more forgiveness, fantastic.

The lack of adjustability does not bother me. Once I find settings driver that work best for me, I don't change them. So basically, find what works before you get it and then there you go.

If this does add a bit more forgiveness, fantastic.

If I am properly fit for it, then it's not a bother. But I see the lack of adjustability as a slight step backwards for TM. I'm speaking more so for the driver than the FW and Hybrids. I thought the adjustability of the SLDR was a step backwards form the R1, in which you get the club set up for you pretty much however the heck you wanted. I am with you though, once I get a setting that works for me, I rarely mess with it(now).

I guess I look at from the perspective of it's just another TM release. There will be one in a couple months as well for some "new" technology they have come up with. I am not knocking TM or trying to be negative towards them. I don't play their stuff any longer so it doesn't bug me. Just an observation.

If I am properly fit for it, then it's not a bother. But I see the lack of adjustability as a slight step backwards for TM. I'm speaking more so for the driver than the FW and Hybrids. I thought the adjustability of the SLDR was a step backwards form the R1, in which you get the club set up for you pretty much however the heck you wanted. I am with you though, once I get a setting that works for me, I rarely mess with it(now).

People expect it now. It has got to hurt sales to not have it in there right?

I'll add this. If this line is something they believe in more than the Jetspeed line, then good for them for getting it out on the market. If it's something that can really help the consumers, good for them. For all the Hot List love that the SLDR got, it seems to be hit and miss for most golfers, while the Jetspeed line just gets overlooked and probably ignored.

I'll add this. If this line is something they believe in more than the Jetspeed line, then good for them for getting it out on the market. If it's something that can really help the consumers, good for them. For all the Hot List love that the SLDR got, it seems to be hit and miss for most golfers, while the Jetspeed line just gets overlooked and probably ignored.

I hope you are right and they are not just trying to put lipstick on a pig.

I hope you are right and they are not just trying to put lipstick on a pig.

I hope so too buddy. I need to find something I can hit off of that first tee at True Blue. 6 iron won't cut it.

I hope so too buddy. I need to find something I can hit off of that first tee at True Blue. 6 iron won't cut it.

5i would be the better play then :alien:

I'm excited for the new possible option available. Who doesn't like choices?

5i would be the better play then :alien:

I'm excited for the new possible option available. Who doesn't like choices?

Love me some choices.

This has me excited, and will be welcomed. Having wanted to really like the SLDR, it just was not a good fit for me.

Now this, I can get excited about.

So is this replacing the Jetspeed then? As someone that loves TM equipment, I could not hit the SLDR at all. It felt awful and the numbers I got were very surprising.

Really really looking forward to this new launch. Just very surprised that they are going with zero adjustability. Seems like 2 steps forward, one step backwards

I heard that they will be bonded no adjustablity Driver - Fairway - Hybrids and have silver crowns similiar to the mini Driver
in addition there will be a new set of irons coming as well sloting inbetween Speedblades and TP CB's

I heard that they will be bonded no adjustablity Driver - Fairway - Hybrids and have silver crowns similiar to the mini Driver
in addition there will be a new set of irons coming as well sloting inbetween Speedblades and TP CB's
New irons too?

I figured the crown would look similar to the Mini. Noticed the S on on the Mini Driver sole. The new irons interest me if that's true. And if they fill that small gap between the Speedblades and the TP CB's, then I am all ears!

Interesting release if its all true. Surprised by the bonded driver. Figured they would still offer the loft adjustablity like they have for so many years now. Will be interested in seeing the spin difference between this one and the OG SLDR in the same setup.

New irons too?

I figured the crown would look similar to the Mini. Noticed the S on on the Mini Driver sole. The new irons interest me if that's true. And if they fill that small gap between the Speedblades and the TP CB's, then I am all ears!

The new Irons really has me confused but i have a good source he is a guy TM is trying to sign and is World Champ in his event he said he is going to get some SpeedBlade TP to test but was not sure if that was the final name or it could also be SLDR Irons

I think overall this is probably a good move. I think bonded versus adjustable seems like a step backwards, but starting with RBZ they have been releasing a bonded version at a cheaper price point later. Granted this one is allegedly a modified head. Seems like it will do them good to have a new product line to talk about since the SLDR has been a tougher story than expected for them.

I have a feeling we see these in Myrtle! I HOPE!

Back