The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to nightly practice.

Looking at where I was over the weekend, I know what caused one issue at least - getting too long creates a loss of knee flex creates a lean forward creates a crappy full swing. So, just worked on feeling my hands get no higher than shoulder height and really getting the lower body to lead. One day maybe I'll be able to take that out of my garage and to the golf course ugh.

Need to get outside for some driver work, but that'll have to wait a few days.

Had a good practice session tonight. Only had a short time I could hit irons, but they were pretty solid. I'm getting more comfortable with swinging at 80% and not overswinging. I was able to work on some chipping and putting as well. Rolled the rock pretty well. I drained a number of 6 footers in a row. That definitely built some confidence.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

So my range sessions today...

The last few days after my last time playing a round I noticed that my tempo was way off. So my last two sessions have been focused on getting my tempo back. Let me tell you have I been excited about what I saw.

My ball striking has been spot on...yes I do have the occasional "shank", but not I know what the exact cause is. Tempo!!!

Once the tempo issue was rectified it was time to work on getting my club path where it needed to be. That all clicked during my wedge practice. I finally was able to get my back to remain at the target, while letting my arms just drop into position. Ding, Ding!!! Ball flight expected was achieved.

Everything felt great and I must have hit 250 balls this afternoon. When the lady came to tell me my time was up I pleaded for another 20 mins. This was definitely a range session where I did not want to leave!

*Note I have been gaming the j40 CB*

Back to nightly practice.

Looking at where I was over the weekend, I know what caused one issue at least - getting too long creates a loss of knee flex creates a lean forward creates a crappy full swing. So, just worked on feeling my hands get no higher than shoulder height and really getting the lower body to lead. One day maybe I'll be able to take that out of my garage and to the golf course ugh.

Need to get outside for some driver work, but that'll have to wait a few days.

I believe that's called a reverse pivot? I struggle with that upper body lean forward if I get too long in the backswing too. Then you have to cast the club on the downswing to get it square or its off the hosel (I won't say the word!). And you usually pick the ball instead of compressing it. Hey we got something in common! Hehe.

I worked a lot on short game today, specifically hitting short sided shots. They are by far the worst part of my short game. I always try and avoid being short sided but it will inevitably happen from time to time. I try not to get frustrated but those types of shots cause havoc for me.

Hit the range again tonight for some more work since it was a balmy 35* and I didn't want to hit the course. I had a great session with very few miss hits spent most of my time working on the top end of my bag and comparing the recoil vs steelfiber shafts.

Really working on tempo with driver, 3wd and hybo are paying dividends as I am seeing some great ball flight I am hitting the "fairway" almost every single time now.

Irons are going really well as far as contact is concerned and accuracy, is spot on. I may have a swing flaw "too steep" or too aggressive through the ball that is causing a really high ball flight, need to get a lesson scheduled to figure it out and get some things to work on getting my flight down.

My shoulder turn and weight transfer are feeling really good right now and are something I am continually working on to make for at least a couple swings every session.

One of the retirees that works at the range came out and hit with me and he made the comment today that my swing was very relaxed and smooth and looked effortless even though my distance is long. His comment made me feel good about all the work I have done over the winter and since my terrible play in HHI.

One of the most full filling sounds in golf is that of a well struck ball, the click of impact and the sound of the ball cutting through the air is addicting and something I hear more and more every time out.

More bucket drill tonight with zero hooks and no inside-out swings with the short to mid irons. I'm getting the hang of hitting a fade and so far my "miss" is dead straight which is only about 10 yds left of the target. I felt more compression of the golf ball tonight and less impact towards the toe. I think I was cutting across the ball which resulted in a loss of distance. The swing thought is to swing down the line with quiet hands and that high / left elbow out finish. Hoping my instructor can squeeze me in for a lesson this Saturday. I think he'll be pretty happy.

When I feel bored on the range. I start trying to hit balls in a series. 10-15 balls per club. Try to hit one low, one high, one draw, and one fade, then if I still have balls left - high draw, high fade, etc. Actually a hook and a slice is more accurate. I find I practice better when I have a task or goal to reach.

Right now I'm trying to sync up my arms and body/legs. I'm struggling mightily with early extension. Can't seem to stop moving in to the ball at impact.

I believe that's called a reverse pivot? I struggle with that upper body lean forward if I get too long in the backswing too. Then you have to cast the club on the downswing to get it square or its off the hosel (I won't say the word!). And you usually pick the ball instead of compressing it. Hey we got something in common! Hehe.

Mine's not a reverse pivot, because I do get to my right side. Problem is that as I get longer, my upper body just keeps going until it can't go anywhere else but towards the target. I basically get outside my rear foot and upper body leans moves toward the target when I should be inside the right foot and then lower body moves towards the target. It all starts with a stupid overturn.

Mine's not a reverse pivot, because I do get to my right side. Problem is that as I get longer, my upper body just keeps going until it can't go anywhere else but towards the target. I basically get outside my rear foot and upper body leans moves toward the target when I should be inside the right foot and then lower body moves towards the target. It all starts with a stupid overturn.

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought losing your knee flex in the right leg means the weight is on the left and reverse pivoting.

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought losing your knee flex in the right leg means the weight is on the left and reverse pivoting.

I wish sometimes lol. I actually used to reverse pivot about three years ago. Now I've just gone and took it all too far the other way.

Going to work on the take away a little bit tonight. Still ending up too far inside, so when Im trying to do an abbreviated swing its turning all kinds of messy.

Going to focus on getting my left arm extended straight back and hinging up from there and hopefully that will help me stay away from the inside so much. Ive got to get where Im making a fuller swing instead of this 40% backswing on the inside crap Im still seeing now.

Going to work on the take away a little bit tonight. Still ending up too far inside, so when Im trying to do an abbreviated swing its turning all kinds of messy.

Going to focus on getting my left arm extended straight back and hinging up from there and hopefully that will help me stay away from the inside so much. Ive got to get where Im making a fuller swing instead of this 40% backswing on the inside crap Im still seeing now.

That impact ball actually might help you alot with that Mike. I don't think about hinging at all dude. I just try to turn back and let the hinge happen on its own.

I'll do whatever it takes to stop doing this. Seems liek the last few lessons we have gotten away from that and have focused mostly on getting the right hip firing on the downswing. Might need to go back and work on the take away and getting to that point first.

ene5ynaj.jpg

Yea, that makes it tough to do anything. Seriously dude. You can make one of those balls with a nerf volleyball.

I have the tendency to sweep it too much to the inside. Usually it comes with the core turning too early in the backswing and it just sucks everything inside. A thought that was working well on video was to keep the center still until the hands are at hip height. The center might move for all I know, but the thought of not moving it might be toning it down. Either way, hip height, the club is either even with or slightly outside the hands. I can't argue that.

Yea, that makes it tough to do anything. Seriously dude. You can make one of those balls with a nerf volleyball.

yeah I mean where Im at I cant make a a legit 80% swing consistently.

I have the tendency to sweep it too much to the inside. Usually it comes with the core turning too early in the backswing and it just sucks everything inside. A thought that was working well on video was to keep the center still until the hands are at hip height. The center might move for all I know, but the thought of not moving it might be toning it down. Either way, hip height, the club is either even with or slightly outside the hands. I can't argue that.

would this conceptually help me get where I need to be assuming the natural hinging is done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOmkRNV4-yM

All day in practice, not so much on the golf course. That's gotta change.

See I can make the short swing (as you saw in the pic), and even my MC footage last year had some really short swings, but the distances I was expecting. Frankly its been quite some time since my swing was long, for better or worse. It has however lead to a similar swing with the driver which just flat out sucks, 0 distance

However I cant make 80% from the inside, its thin and FUGLY city all day long.

See I can make the short swing (as you saw in the pic), and even my MC footage last year had some really short swings, but the distances I was expecting.

However I cant make 80% from the inside, its thin and FUGLY city all day long.

Mike is your natural swing path too far inside? Or are you trying to promote an in to out swing and it's causing these issues? Just trying to understand what is happening.

Yeah thats a great drill to get more upright in the backswing but be careful you dont pull it inside on the downswing or you might stab yourself. That would really hurt.

HAHA thanks

Early on, with the indoor lessons he just held a club upright behind me and made me stay outside of it, leading to a similar motion.

As Ive focused more and more on the hips, ive gotten away from that feeling and as 1 thing may have improved the other got worse

Mike is your natural swing path too far inside? Or are you trying to promote an in to out swing and it's causing these issues? Just trying to understand what is happening.

Yeah over the last few years its gotten more and more inside, and flat ala Kuckar (minus the distance, consistency, top 10 finishes, money etc), and in this pic just flat and short too

Yeah over the last few years its gotten more and more inside, and flat ala Kuckar (minus the distance, consistency, top 10 finishes, money etc), and in this pic just flat and short too

HAHAHAHA well played.

I get it, so you've always battled a bad hook as your miss then correct? And I imagine from time to time you block things out to the right as well?

would this conceptually help me get where I need to be assuming the natural hinging is done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOmkRNV4-yM

Certainly not a bad drill to use at all Mike. If you do it indoors, your wife might kill you if you use a wall and you start putting dings in it though. You have girls, you can't exactly blame it on them quite as easily. Couch might be the better solution for indoor practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back