Callaway Edge Hybrid Iron Set

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I saw these pop up on golfsmith for sale, very interesting.

Callaway Edge 4H-6H, 7-PW, AW Combo Iron Set with Steel Shafts

The biggest R&D team in golf set out to make the easiest-to-hit, most forgiving hybrid iron set that has ever been made, and they succeeded with the Callaway Edge Irons. And for extra bonus points, they decided to go ahead and make them the best-looking hybrid irons in golf.
High MOI Design:
It's incredible, the amount of forgiveness and playability Callaway's R&D team put into the Edge Iron. That's why this set features the highest moment of inertia (MOI) of any set in the Callaway lineup.
High-Launch Hybrid Design:
The higher launch angles created by the optimized center of gravity (CG) location make these hybrids the easiest to hit in the Callaway lineup.
Hollow Iron Design:
Callaway lowered the CG and increased forgiveness and launch angles. They know for sure these are the easiest-to-hit irons they have ever made.
Set Progression:
Distance and accuracy are built into each club, designed for maximum forgiveness and hitting ease.

30105639_im__________0_gsi
30105639_im__________1_gsi
30105639_im__________2_gsi
30105639_im__________3_gsi
30105639_im__________4_gsi
30105639_im__________5_gsi
30105639_im__________6_gsi

Interesting that there wasn't a stiff shaft available.

I'm surprised there wasn't a announcement here first.

Harry alluded to them in his latest callaway talks, but nothing else really.

It almost reminds me of the SuperSoft Ball, where they want to have an entry in a specific market (in this case Super Game Improvement Irons), but know that the people they reach in their traditional advertising aren't interested, so they put them on the shelves with little or no fanfare.

The other interesting thing to me is that while these are on the Callaway website, there is no option to order them directly. Instead, there is a link to find a retailer.

I was just under the impression they were like a store set or something rather than an actual release.

http://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/irons/irons-edge-hybrids-edge-combo.html
[h=3]Mens 2014 Edge Combo Product Specs[/h]
NameLoftLieAvailable InLengthSwing WeightGraphite Swing WeightSteel Swing Weight
3H19°58.5°RH / LH39.5D0N/A
4H22°59.25°RH / LH39.5D0N/A
5H25°60°RH / LH38.75D0N/A
6H28°60.75°RH / LH38D0N/A
#7 32°62.5°RH / LH37D0D3
#8 36°63°RH / LH36.5D0D3
#9 40°63.5°RH / LH36D0D3
PW 45°64°RH / LH35.75D1D3
AW 50°64°RH / LH35.5D1D3
SW 55°64°RH / LH35.25D1D3
[h=4]Callaway Edge Iron/Hybrid Graphite[/h]
ManufacturerFlexShaft WeightTorqueKickpoint
Callaway GolfLight60midlow
Callaway GolfRegular60midlow
[h=4]TT Speed Step 85 Steel (PTIP)[/h]
True TemperRegular93lowlow
True TemperStiff94lowmid
[h=3]Women's 2014 Edge Combo Product Specs[/h]
NameLoftLieAvailable InLengthSwing WeightGraphite Swing WeightSteel Swing Weight
3H19°58.5°RH / LH39.25C3
4H22°59.25°RH / LH38.5C3
5H25°60°RH / LH37.75C3
6H28°60.75°RH / LH37C3
7H32°61.5°RH / LH36.25C3
#8 36°63°RH / LH35.5C2
#9 40°63.5°RH / LH35C2
PW 45°64°RH / LH34.75C3
SW 55°64°RH / LH34.25C5
[h=4]Callaway Edge Iron/Hybrid Graphite Womens[/h]
Callaway GolfWomen's49midlow

I thought i remember seeing a similar set at Costco maybe big box store full bag set

These appear to be a regular release. Roger Dunn in LA has them. I have hit these on the monitor. This is not Callaway's best effort as in maybe SGI is not their highest priority. The ball definitely gets up like no Bertha, Edge or RAZR X HL iron that I remember, but the trajectory is just too high for anyone with decent swing speed. These could probably work with a better shaft. The graphite shaft is very weak. The heads are very forgiving. As they are currently offered, however, I would classify these as toys relative to the Karstens and JPX-EZs.

I was just at CostCo last night, and they had some sort of box set from Callaway along with gloves and balls and a 2pack of umbrellas. Which I was reminded I don't need.
Next time I'm out there myself, I'll have to take a closer look. I'm a bit surprised to see a "box set" available under the actual Callaway brand, so I imagine these are a cut above some of the ones I recall.

The Edge set is standard offering, it is replacing the Razr HL set that came out last year.

Interesting that there wasn't a stiff shaft available.

Due to early feedback on this set, we will be increasing the offering for this set. As some have said, this set is really easy to hit and designed for the player looking for a high launching, forgiving and easy to hit Iron. More info in the two links below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcUxMgSN_Ew&list=UUDifOmdDEDNZkV0eZl2soQg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ax1h0bMDrY&list=UUDifOmdDEDNZkV0eZl2soQg

Couple of things I see as interesting...first, that you can now configure and buy these on the Callaway site where that wasn't the case just a couple of days ago (may have been just coincidental timing), and second, that a set of these are the same price on the site regardless of all graphite shafts, all steel shafts, or hybrids graphite with irons steel.

Was talking with Rickus last night about his upcoming fitting and it dawned on me that these are out there. Might be the ticket for anybody looking for a little more height or forgiveness. Plus, a six hybrid.

good bump I totally forgot about these

Was talking with Rickus last night about his upcoming fitting and it dawned on me that these are out there. Might be the ticket for anybody looking for a little more height or forgiveness. Plus, a six hybrid.

Hahaha I was literally looking for this thread. I definitely plan on hitting them in my fitting. If they are better for me than the X2Hot, these will be in the bag.

Couple of things I see as interesting...first, that you can now configure and buy these on the Callaway site where that wasn't the case just a couple of days ago (may have been just coincidental timing), and second, that a set of these are the same price on the site regardless of all graphite shafts, all steel shafts, or hybrids graphite with irons steel.

I don't think anyone should sleep on them, I was reading up on them in their catalog pdf last night. Could be a game changer SGI club.

Hahaha I was literally looking for this thread. I definitely plan on hitting them in my fitting. If they are better for me than the X2Hot, these will be in the bag.

They should be called the EDgeRickus set, because they look perfect for you based on what I hear you saying you need.

For the millionth time in as many days, I'll say it again, Hawk is wise.

I don't think anyone should sleep on them, I was reading up on them in their catalog pdf last night. Could be a game changer SGI club.

They'll get slept on, but if it were me I'd at least inquire about the hybrids. Not sure if they can be had individually. A little lower profile like last year's X-Hot it seems.

They should be called the EDgeRickus set, because they look perfect for you based on what I hear you saying you need.

My biggest flaw with my irons is that I need to hit down more and stop sweeping so much and its a work in progress but it is night and day better than last year. Last year with the Xhot, it was my favorite club in my bag. I just dont get along with this years version so these are probably where I am going with my MC bag. Going to hit the irons as well assuming they have them at the CPC which I dont see why they wouldnt.

They'll get slept on, but if it were me I'd at least inquire about the hybrids. Not sure if they can be had individually. A little lower profile like last year's X-Hot it seems.

People will get caught up in "I can get these $1000" irons, not that it's wrong or right, it's America, we can chose whatever we want. I'll be the first to admit, that back even a few weeks ago, I was going Apexes all the way. I've really changed that viewpoint after diving into some convo here. Best part about this place is I literally learn something new everyday, I am thankful for that.

My biggest flaw with my irons is that I need to hit down more and stop sweeping so much and its a work in progress but it is night and day better than last year. Last year with the Xhot, it was my favorite club in my bag. I just dont get along with this years version so these are probably where I am going with my MC bag. Going to hit the irons as well assuming they have them at the CPC which I dont see why they wouldnt.

You know, I have that going on too, but my feeling is it's probably not going to change much in the coming months. I've seen a few indicators that it's a little less of an issue compared to last year, but even then it's just not changing in a huge way. There are plenty of great golfers out there that are sweepers, so I'm just about over it for now.

Spoke with my tour rep and the Edge hybrids are not available as individual clubs, but the Edge set is available. Hmmmm

Back