Andrew Rice - The Wedge Project

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Cover-for-website-2.jpg

Some of you are probably familiar with Andrew Rice, a highly regarded instructor who has his own website featuring instructional and technological information. He also has a book out called, "It's All About Impact".

Mr Rice created a 50 minute video called 'The Wedge Project' that explores the science and technique behind great pitch shots. Those folks looking for that penetrating and spinny wedge shot may be interested in this. He asked me to view the video and his book recently and I had a chance to look at it today. Tons of information in it, including:

• Learn how to manage your attack angle for consistently clean strikes
  • Understand the importance of the "face to ball" interaction and the role of equipment
  • Learn how to "land the plane"
  • Know what bounce can and cannot do for you
  • Understand how to create a 3D flat spot at the bottom of the arc
  • See slow motion analysis of the best wedge players in the world
  • Be able to hit low flighted, high spinning pitches with little to no divot
  • Have a line-up of easy to do drills
  • Experience the control and confidence that has eluded you for so long

After checking this out, I'll say that it's not going to be for everybody. It's quite technical, and I know we all like to take in our information differently. Those of you that are fans of either Mr Rice or very in-depth explanations of how to execute golf shots should really enjoy it though.

Price is $18.50 for the video, or $24.50 for the video and his book, and it can ordered here >>> http://www.andrewricegolf.com/the-wedge-project/. When ordered, you are able to download the items directly to your device for viewing. Pretty quick process, but does take a tiny bit of technical know-how.

If you check this out, let us know what you think...

Interesting for sure...not sure if it would be my cup of tea or not. I think I'm more hands on for stuff like that.

I read a lot of his stuff, may eventually drop the coin on it in the future. My pro bought it and he really got a lot of good I for out of it he said.

Sounds like great info, just what I need.

Heard about Mr. Rice and have checked some of his stuff out. You are right Hawk, he is very technical but I really like that. I have thought about getting the video and may in the near future but want to do a little more research first.

• Staff
Let me know if you have specific questions and I'll try to answer for you guys.

Here's a little sample.

We'll have to give this a look. I have already talked with my instructor about starting to work on wedge play. Definitely interested in something like this. Thanks.

Very interesting, the wedges (scoring clubs) are key to improving for sure.

Practicing with the rod like that is an interesting trick.

Sounds like great info, just what I need.

I was actually thinking about you and your thread while I was watching this Duey.

I was actually thinking about you and your thread while I was watching this Duey.

I bet you say that to all the guys! hehe

I bet you say that to all the guys! hehe

Ha!

I'm actually lucky in ways I guess, because my path is already pretty shallow and I can hit that lower/spinny shot pretty well, assuming conditions are set up in my favor.

Ha!

I'm actually lucky in ways I guess, because my path is already pretty shallow and I can hit that lower/spinny shot pretty well, assuming conditions are set up in my favor.

I'm really curious and lot of whats in this information, especially close in around the greens. I feel my short game from inside 30 yards is pretty darn good right now, but I really just use the hell out of low bump-n-runs. Does he tech a bunch of different shots using different clubs and techniques? Outside 30 yards will be very interesting.

Not really a video on multiple types of shots. It's really centered around the mid-range pitch that comes in with a lot of spin and he talks about finding the right wedge to make that happen.

Not really a video on multiple types of shots. It's really centered around the mid-range pitch that comes in with a lot of spin and he talks about finding the right wedge to make that happen.

Gotcha, guess I expected this was covering all the wedge shots, but possibly even more interested now as this is the one shot most people seem to really want, yet struggle with. I often wonder if shots like that are even possible here with the crappy fairways and rough greens we play most of our rounds on here.

Gotcha, guess I expected this was covering all the wedge shots, but possibly even more interested now as this is the one shot most people seem to really want, yet struggle with. I often wonder if shots like that are even possible here with the crappy fairways and rough greens we play most of our rounds on here.

Definitely possible if you can get the club on the ball cleanly.

I'm a big fan of the author and have interacted with him on Twitter in the past. That said, I'm a little hesistant to pay for a video that is only devoted to a single type of shot. The "techy" stuff does interest me, but I wish it talked more about different types of shots. That said, the combo deal of the book and video does intrigue me.

Just so I don't portray this as overly narrow in scope - it is essentially a pitching video, which I suppose is on type of shot, but one that can be used from varying distances. Not really a sand/chipping/bump and run type video though.

Pitching is a weak spot for me, so I went ahead and scooped this up. Don't know when I'll get to sit down and watch it, but I'll try to before my round this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks for the link Hawk!

This looks very interesting...may have to check it out

I like AR and even has his ebook, It's All About Impact. The new swing sensors like SwingByte would be a perfect match to his method.

Purchased and printed. Will watch the video when I get home. Thanks for this.

Really interesting, I have no problem learning things on a technical side but when it involves golf I really need to feel it as much as understand it. Might give this a chance down the road.

Anyone tried this lately? It is weakest part of my game.

Back