Sunblock recommendations.

JoeyJoeJo

Reaction score
We've got a 4 day weekend here and the weather was forecast to be sunny so I turned my attention to sunblock this week. Thought I'd share my thoughts and maybe pick up some tips from the rest of the community.

I hate the feeling of any lotion etc on my skin (and getting anything on your hands in a round when you inadvertently touch a treated area) but I hate the thought of cancer more so I'm always looking for that elusive perfect product. I have a typically scottish milk bottle complexion and can burn in minutes so decent protection on the course is vital.

Last year, I was using a supposedly "invisible", "easily absorbed", "non greasy" spray which in reality was none of those things so I've spent some time in the chemist this week trying to find something new and I think I have.

It's a product by Banana Boat aimed at kids and is an SPF 30 lotion that dries almost instantly.

http://www.bananaboat.co.uk/kids_powder_dri_spf_30.html

It really does dry quickly and I had no need to wash my hands after applying. This is a key thing for me as it means I can reapply during a round without getting greasy hands. Also smells great - coconut. I'd usually go for higher spf but as this is so good to use, I'm more likely to actually apply and reapply than I am with a greasy 50.

Today, I applied to hands, arms, ears, scalp, face and neck, spent two hours in bright afternoon sun and there is no sign of sun damage at all, so glad I picked up a couple of bottles on special and one is going in the bag.

So what are you folks using and recommending...?

I also will use some of the kids stuff in the summer. It doesn't burn around my eyes quite so much. Ive been told anything around 50 or above is a crock and you should just use 30 and reapply a few times, so that's what I do. I don't have issues with a greasy feeling because I wear two gloves haha. Ill add I use the stuff with moisturizer in it because for some reason certain sunscreens dry me out. I think it's called tear free or sting free something like that. Im all that is man

I don't know if they export to the UK, but if you can get Bullfrog brand sunscreen, they make a sport gel that's 50 spf I believe. I use it on my face and it works really well. Absorbs and doesn't leave me feeling sticky. Most of all, sweat doesn't seem to take it off. I prefer spray on my arms, just because it's easier to get coverage without trying to rub lotion or gel into all that arm hair.

Edit: just realized JohnnyMojo posted the exact same stuff right above me!:banghead:

I always go with an SPF 50 in the sport version, brand doesn't really matter as long as it is a brand name. I have also heard the anything over spf 30->40 doesn't make much of a difference but it is the same price so even if it is only 2% better it is worth it to me.

Be careful of the aerosol sprays, they are always rated as the worst sun screens. Not for their SPF performance but because of the chemicals in them to make them spray. Most of them use a chemical that has the affects of synthetic estrogen.

I like this stuff http://www.bullfrogsunscreen.com/

No matter what you decide on, the key is to re apply though.

JM
Agree 100%...and it's the part I always forget. I usually apply the tube stuff when I'm getting dressed, and then carry a spray bottle sunscreen in my bag for easier reapplying--when I remember.

It look like you get better products then us on this side of the pond.

[h=2]5. European consumers can get better sunscreens.[/h]European sunscreens offer superior protection from skin-damaging UVA rays. In Europe, sunscreen makers can formulate their products with any of seven chemicals that filter UVA rays. American manufacturers can use only three UVA-filtering ingredients. They have been waiting seven years for FDA approval to use Europe’s better filters. Until the FDA approves these ingredients and lifts restrictions on combining certain active ingredients, American consumers will be hard-pressed to find sunscreens with the strongest level of UVA protection. http://www.ewg.org/2013sunscreen/europes-better-sunscreens/

There's a roll-on available in Australia that I thought would make reapplying very easy but I've never seen anything like that here.
I also haven't found anything in a pump spray that doesn't leave a residue and get on your hat and shirt.

Will check out the bullfrog stuff, thanks :)

I hope I don't lose my man card for this lol but I use Neutrogena with SPF of 30 for my face, I reapply ever 90 minutes or so. Works good and does not dry your face out

Bullfrog pump spray. I have used this for quite a few years. It had been a very good product for me.

I hope I don't lose my man card for this lol but I use Neutrogena with SPF of 30 for my face, I reapply ever 90 minutes or so. Works good and does not dry your face out
#revoked Also a 7 day suspension from the Pull Hookers Club.

Get some SPF chapstick too it really does make a difference.

It's okay Shane. I use it too in the SPF 70 flavor. But, I've had two skin cancers removed, one of which was a melanoma. So, call me sissy if you want, but, I use Neutrogena and a spray on for other parts of the body whenever I can. I've also used Bullfrog, which is excellent.

I'm a fan of the banana boat coolzone sunscreen. It's got a refreshing cooling effect when you put it on, so it doesn't feel quite as gross as regular sunscreen does.

I'm a fan of the banana boat coolzone sunscreen. It's got a refreshing cooling effect when you put it on, so it doesn't feel quite as gross as regular sunscreen does.

It is indeed cooling but doesn't work nearly as well as others. Last 2 times I wore it I got buuuuuurnt

It is indeed cooling but doesn't work nearly as well as others. Last 2 times I wore it I got buuuuuurnt

Haven't had that problem, but if it's a really hot and humid day, I'll reapply after 9 holes.

Thanks for posting this. I have always been put off by the smell of sunscreen and as a result, I usually di not wear any.

I like the spray can type easy to apply and does not make my hands greasy

It's okay Shane. I use it too in the SPF 70 flavor. But, I've had two skin cancers removed, one of which was a melanoma. So, call me sissy if you want, but, I use Neutrogena and a spray on for other parts of the body whenever I can. I've also used Bullfrog, which is excellent.

Had MOHS surgery to remove melanoma on my nose so use SPF70. I do not remember to re-apply often enough! It can be greasy and have smell, but beats the alternative.

I use the sport type from any reputable brand, with at least SPF 30. From what I know it doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference above 30, so I just use what's available. My girlfriend is paranoid though and tends to buy the stuff with high numbers, so I'm usually using SPF 50 or more.

Be careful of the aerosol sprays, they are always rated as the worst sun screens. Not for their SPF performance but because of the chemicals in them to make them spray. Most of them use a chemical that has the affects of synthetic estrogen.

I may have finally figured out why I keep leaving my putts short!

I use a 70 spf spray, I find that spray can be quickly reapplied while walking when I feel like I need it

Topic seems strange as we've had about 4 full days of sun and warmth so far this year, lol.

Back