Bridgestone J40 Driver Review Thread

Take the 12*, this thing truly is a spin killer

For kicks I've got my Rbz2 jacked up to 11, so I'll see how that extra loft impacts my launch angle, but I am thinking 12 might be in play.

At this point I'm just trying to figure out loft, 10.5* or 12*. 12* seems so high, but I've never played a low spin head before either.

Take the 12*, this thing truly is a spin killer

What Mike said. I hit the 10.5 at the PGA SS and it was a low hitter for me and I'm a fan of the PX 6.0... I'd rather have too much loft than not enough on a low spin head like this one.

I have a 97 mph swing speed with my driver. I currently play a Wilson D100 9*. I hit this high to mid launch but I'm pretty the loft on it is not right because it launches higher than some 10.5* drivers I've hit. Can't decide between a 10.5 or a 9.5 so I need advice.

Has anyone hit the J40 with the Project X black shaft in it? With the test drive program being shut down for the J40 drivers, I'm not going to get a chance to hit this driver before ordering it, so I'm going to be doing some educated guessing. I'm thinking 10.5* or 12* (leaning 12 actually), with the Project X 6.0 shaft, but saw the PX black as an option, and sounds like same spin characteristics but lighter, and that has me intrigued. I play a 50g shaft now in my RBZ2, any reason not to go with the black vs the blue?

j40 445 driver. 9.5 degree. AD-Di 7x shaft.

What a beast of a pairing. I think I have my Morgan Cup combination.

Nice! Good to hear you found your combo

Bridgestone J40 Driver Review Thread

During my quick 9 hole round yesterday the J40 performed admirably. 7/7 fairways. Technically only hit driver on 6 of them, but I was hammering it all day long. This driver just continues to perform wonderfully.

Nice! Good to hear you found your combo

It's great. I can hit it mid launch with great distance, or I can crank it up and really get some height on the shot if I am feeling like it.

Hit a few today that rolled out nicely, a couple over 300. With a bit of hardness adding roll, I'm getting big numbers at times. LM suggests 270-283 carry and I'll take that all day.

Didn't hit it this morning, but gamed it this afternoon and went 4/4 fairways. And basically hit the ball exactly where I wanted. Awesome stuff.

Has anyone hit the J40 with the Project X black shaft in it? With the test drive program being shut down for the J40 drivers, I'm not going to get a chance to hit this driver before ordering it, so I'm going to be doing some educated guessing. I'm thinking 10.5* or 12* (leaning 12 actually), with the Project X 6.0 shaft, but saw the PX black as an option, and sounds like same spin characteristics but lighter, and that has me intrigued. I play a 50g shaft now in my RBZ2, any reason not to go with the black vs the blue?

Based on the ball flight I saw in Dallas, the 12* would be best for you. I'd also look at Blue board in reg flex.

It's great. I can hit it mid launch with great distance, or I can crank it up and really get some height on the shot if I am feeling like it.

Hit a few today that rolled out nicely, a couple over 300. With a bit of hardness adding roll, I'm getting big numbers at times. LM suggests 270-283 carry and I'll take that all day.

Didn't hit it this morning, but gamed it this afternoon and went 4/4 fairways. And basically hit the ball exactly where I wanted. Awesome stuff.

That is great to hear, Dan. I felt the same way. Felt like I could tee it up a bit more or adjust my swing to carry a corner or trees when needed. I would love to see some roll, but I don't think that is in the cards for me, haha.

That is great to hear, Dan. I felt the same way. Felt like I could tee it up a bit more or adjust my swing to carry a corner or trees when needed. I would love to see some roll, but I don't think that is in the cards for me, haha.

Come up to Ohio for a round or two Jeff/John.... It's a bit firm out there right now!

Come up to Ohio for a round or two Jeff/John.... It's a bit firm out there right now!

Ha, I played Saturday and had two tee balls plug in the fairway. I dream of roll right now.

Does anyone have a idea on how a Miyazaki b Asha 4s might be in one of these spin killers? Or even anyone using?

Does anyone have a idea on how a Miyazaki b Asha 4s might be in one of these spin killers? Or even anyone using?

I believe JB used to play one with a Miyazaki in it. Don't know if it was a 4S or not.

Not in the driver, no. I play the 7x in the J40 fairway.

I believe JB used to play one with a Miyazaki in it. Don't know if it was a 4S or not.

His was a Kusala white if memory serves.

Your tee game definitely improved that second 9. I find it fascinating that a driver head (with the same shaft) can produce such differences.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

j40 445 driver. 9.5 degree. AD-Di 7x shaft.

What a beast of a pairing. I think I have my Morgan Cup combination.

Told you so. ;-) Love the DI series of shafts in these heads.

Told you so. ;-) Love the DI series of shafts in these heads.

It is a slightly different result (a bit higher overall, but not left like the SLDR has been trending), but man, it's a very good situation.

Now to talk myself into incorporating the 8s or 8x into the 14*!!!!

It is a slightly different result (a bit higher overall, but not left like the SLDR has been trending), but man, it's a very good situation.

Now to talk myself into incorporating the 8s or 8x into the 14*!!!!

I used the DJ 7S in my fairway wood, really enjoyed it. The DJ series gives a touch more spin than the DI series. Probably not something you need, but the DJ series is nice in a fairway wood for a lot of people as a compliment to the DI series in the driver.

Ok, any thoughts to putting one in a 12* head, I have tried project X and just don't like the feel. Everyone seems real high on the b Asha Reviews say the shaft really wants to be aggressively swung to load, but then others say a very smooth shaft? I avg about 95 tempo swing

I used the DJ 7S in my fairway wood, really enjoyed it. The DJ series gives a touch more spin than the DI series. Probably not something you need, but the DJ series is nice in a fairway wood for a lot of people as a compliment to the DI series in the driver.

With the AD-DI being mid kickpoint, high launch, and low spin, it's not a huge gap from the new MT which is mid kickpoint, mid launch, and low/mid spin.

I wish I could find one of them somewhere to hit. The lower torque vs the Ad-Di intrigues me in the 8 series.

Ok, any thoughts to putting one in a 12* head, I have tried project X and just don't like the feel. Everyone seems real high on the b Asha Reviews say the shaft really wants to be aggressively swung to load, but then others say a very smooth shaft? I avg about 95 tempo swing

What are you trying to accomplish with your launch rogt?

I think a lot of people say that about the B.Asha 4s because the IFC is 6732, which means it's quite stable in the hands while still having a lower half soft enough to promote launch.

Yea kind of what you say, the feel, I can hit it low to high would rather have it mid, its weird I play the 62 S+ stiff in my 913 d3 and hit it well but looking for something smoother, in my 913F a reg 62 S+ hate the shaft but the 913f is hard to hit off the deck also, my 7 wood which I love to death is a old school Fujikura vista pro 70 reg I can hit it any where from 190 to 225 and its smooth every time usually straight with a very small draw. my hybrid again reg shaft 913H 24 degree ilima shaft love the feel straight with slight draw. so kind of looking for the same thing. I love the Bridgestone products use to game a 12* J33R trying to get back to those days have picked up a 10.5 J40 6.0 then sold cause of shaft now grabbed a 12* J40 with a 5.0 hit it well but its almost to much of a slice

Yea kind of what you say, the feel, I can hit it low to high would rather have it mid, its weird I play the 62 S+ stiff in my 913 d3 and hit it well but looking for something smoother, in my 913F a reg 62 S+ hate the shaft but the 913f is hard to hit off the deck also, my 7 wood which I love to death is a old school Fujikura vista pro 70 reg I can hit it any where from 190 to 225 and its smooth every time usually straight with a very small draw. my hybrid again reg shaft 913H 24 degree ilima shaft love the feel straight with slight draw. so kind of looking for the same thing. I love the Bridgestone products use to game a 12* J33R trying to get back to those days have picked up a 10.5 J40 6.0 then sold cause of shaft now grabbed a 12* J40 with a 5.0 hit it well but its almost to much of a slice

So you didn't like the 6.0 but the 5.0 is too soft?

yes that's what's weird, I'm a old 40 yard slicer long time ago aim left and hope it comes down in middle, lol but with lots of practice have developed into a straight ball hitter, and can move it both ways but my preferred is a nice easy cut. Its frustrating when I know my 7 wood and Hybrid both go straight as a arrow or slight draw and I just want to find something in that realm.

Back