The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

Thanks JB for the clarification.

Depends on the situation. If one person is the reason the group is slow, then that person/team will be penalized and the group will advance.

I also think people within the group needs to speak up if someone is lagging behind. No feathers need to be ruffled by someone in the group bringing it up. Take responsibility within your group and don't make it JB's problem.

I hit about 10 drives today on the range pretending that it was my MC introduction. I envisioned TB No.1 and about 50 people standing behind me while I put a tee in the ground.

Even just pretending, it was a little nerve wracking. I've teed off at THP events before. I've even been the first one to tee off (285 right down the pipe at Ohio last year, thank you very much). But, I've got to prepare for this tee shot.

I'm getting my work in, but I really cannot wait to get down to MB. Starting to feel very real.

Or you could be like me last year and tee off last both rounds on Saturday and have about 6 people watching.... :alien:

I also think people within the group needs to speak up if someone is lagging behind. No feathers need to be ruffled by someone in the group bringing it up. Take responsibility within your group and don't make it JB's problem.

I have a feeling this is how most issues will be settled - in a good way.

I hit about 10 drives today on the range pretending that it was my MC introduction. I envisioned TB No.1 and about 50 people standing behind me while I put a tee in the ground.

Even just pretending, it was a little nerve wracking. I've teed off at THP events before. I've even been the first one to tee off (285 right down the pipe at Ohio last year, thank you very much). But, I've got to prepare for this tee shot.

I'm getting my work in, but I really cannot wait to get down to MB. Starting to feel very real.

I've been doing the same for #TheKing prep when it comes to putting at home. 6 footer for par that I need to make to win the match. On the course, I'll make $1 bets with my friends on whether or not I can hit a GIR on certain holes just to see if the things I've been working on hold up under pressure.

The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

My new morning and afternoon drive time entertainment. Prep takes on all forms.

ejaba6y6.jpg

That's a great book. Some of the thoughts apply to so much more than golf.

Something I'd pass onto all of this year's MC participants: I saw an interview at the RBC Heritage with William McGirt, and he was talking about his experiences being in contention this year. He said that it allowed him to learn what happened to his body and his swing when he got nervous; for him, he knows that he gets faster with his tempo so he has to focus on slowing down. I would encourage everyone playing in this event to try to get into a tournament situation or something close to it before you get to Pawley's, so you can figure out what your body is going to do when you are nervous or when the adrenaline is pumping. I know that I was the same as McGirt, everything moves faster for me so I had to focus on taking deep breaths prior to swinging and trying to swing smoothly.

Something I'd pass onto all of this year's MC participants: I saw an interview at the RBC Heritage with William McGirt, and he was talking about his experiences being in contention this year. He said that it allowed him to learn what happened to his body and his swing when he got nervous; for him, he knows that he gets faster with his tempo so he has to focus on slowing down. I would encourage everyone playing in this event to try to get into a tournament situation or something close to it before you get to Pawley's, so you can figure out what your body is going to do when you are nervous or when the adrenaline is pumping. I know that I was the same as McGirt, everything moves faster for me so I had to focus on taking deep breaths prior to swinging and trying to swing smoothly.

Great advice Ary. Nothing can simulate pressure. I am registered for a tournament 2 weeks before the MC here in NJ so I can get a good feel for it.

How do you guys find tournaments? Most of the ones I'm finding are scrambles or charity events put in by local courses, but not exactly high pressure situations.

Usually your state golf association will have tournaments from month to month

How do you guys find tournaments? Most of the ones I'm finding are scrambles or charity events put in by local courses, but not exactly high pressure situations.

I am fortunate to be playing as fireitup's guest in a tournament as he is part of the Philly Golf Tour (local organization). The entry fee is a little expensive but it's well worth it to get the experience.

Completely Agree Arydolphin. You can practice all day long but nothing prepares like being in a situation where you are stressed, heart is pumping, your grip tightens etc.... There should be a clearinghouse on most states golf association websites that show different invitationals and better ball events that you could play in. I believe I have 4 big tourneys on tap before the MC in July

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I should add, it doesn't have to be a tournament. It could be something as simple as a 5 dollar bet when that's all you have in your wallet, or trying to carry that water hazard that you've never done before. Really, anything to get you out of your comfort zone and your heart rate up.

I should add, it doesn't have to be a tournament. It could be something as simple as a 5 dollar bet when that's all you have in your wallet, or trying to carry that water hazard that you've never done before. Really, anything to get you out of your comfort zone and your heart rate up.
It's the pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone for sure!

So far I have played in two CT Amateur Golf Tour Tournaments. I just wanted to get myself out of my comfort zone and put myself in uncomfortable situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely Agree Arydolphin. You can practice all day long but nothing prepares like being in a situation where you are stressed, heart is pumping, your grip tightens etc.... There should be a clearinghouse on most states golf association websites that show different invitationals and better ball events that you could play in. I believe I have 4 big tourneys on tap before the MC in July

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Plus the flog/ATL Challenge -- Known as the Seventh Major in some parts.

Lucky to have two MGA associations near by to play in this year. Good for general pressure situations--Tourney play is easy to find, but the team or match play is more rare.

Plus the flog/ATL Challenge -- Known as the Seventh Major in some parts.

Has there been a major contested where the competitors brought only their C games and had a chance to win???

Has there been a major contested where the competitors brought only their C games and had a chance to win???

If I remember correctly, Ian Baker Finch won an Open Championship. So, yes.

Just registered for the Chandler City Amateur Championship. I would have never taken this kind of leap without the Morgan Cup pressing upon me and my abilities. So excited and nervous at the same time.

Just registered for the Chandler City Amateur Championship. I would have never taken this kind of leap without the Morgan Cup pressing upon me and my abilities. So excited and nervous at the same time.

Nice! Good luck. My first tourney is this weekend!

That's awesome, good luck!

Should be a fantastic bit of experience you'll gain from it. Best of luck.

Back