Tired of sucking at golf....

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
Let me give you a little background...I have been playing for about 4 years and I love this sport. I play twice a week, watch the golf channel all the time, read magazines, try every tip I see or read. I am a 16 handicap, my best score ever is a 79 and my usual score is 89-90. I have taken some lessons with different instructors and each one sees a different flaw in my swing. I have had a very hard time making swing changes. For example, one instructor told me that my grip was too weak and that I had to make it stronger, he also told me that I had to be patient with the swing change because it would take time. as a result, I started hooking the ball bard and low. Whenever I would go to a course, I would shoot about 120 because I would loose the ball on every tee shot. Playing partners would look at me as if I was insane because I would stay disciplined hooking the ball non stop. I gave up after 3 months and reverted....Another instructor told me I wasn't shifting my weight enough, so I started shifting enough, the problem was that I started having a huge slice because I could not time it correctly. After a couple of months I reverted to what felt logical in my mind.
Meanwhile I have played tournaments and I have won a few of them (if you can believe after what you have read) (won my division, not the entire tournament). in addition, I have sucked in many of them.
I am 32 years old, swing speed of 95. Poor driver, decent iron player, average wedge player, decent putter. Top of the line equipment.
I don't have any issues in terms of wanting to practice, but I simply have not found a method that has solved my shortcomings. It is hard to believe that I have actually won a few trophies and shot some low rounds, yet I cannot tell you what a good swing feels like.
I don't understand how I can love a sport so much yet know so little on how to play it correctly....
I hope to satisfy my own expectations to be a decent player, but I have no clue how to get there. I write all of this hoping that someone out there has felt this way at some point and found some answers...

Where are you located?

I've been there. Been playing for about 4 years. Was horrible the first 2 years and was ready to quit. I've improved over the last 2 years thanks to a couple of things. First, Monte Scheinblum really simplified the golf swing for me (http://montescheinblum.com/). His blog and videos (Hititlong on YouTube) have been priceless. Second, I've given in to better course management. I hate playing the smart and safe play. I always want to go for the hero shot. That killed my scores because I'd have snowmen on some holes. I'm still not a great golfer (I'm still trying to break 90 consistently), but I play better than I used to. I just have to score better.

I am located in Bethesda MD (15mins from Washington DC).

Trevor, my entire family uses GolfTec up in north Bethesda, I will tell you up front it can be a little expensive. However Kevin Tanner is a great instructor. Also up at the Olney golf Park off Georgia ave has a great teaching staff and facility. Which may be a little easier on your wallet.

Welcome to THP, you have found the right place...lots of people addicted to this crazy game.

Being a 16 handicap and breaking 90 most days puts you right in line with the the majority of average golfers, it's a never ending goal to get better.

I think you'd be better served to not be switching instructors so frequently. It is hard enough to learn the game trying to make one set of changes. Trying to switch up to do what the next person wants to change would be incredibly frustrating and hard. So I'd say find the right instructor - someone you have good dialogue with, who you trust and who has a plan that you understand for getting you to your goals - and stick with him/her.

I haven't found em yet buddy but I feel ya pain. Golf is frigging hard and all you can do is focus on the good games you've had. You know they're in ya. Most importantly, don't fight yourself because it will do more harm than good. Golf is secondary to breathing and living so chill and just beat they hell of that ball and have fun doing it.

I've been there too man and holy cow is it a frustrating place to be. All I can offer is this, it's not permanent, you have to be patient, 4 years is not long in golf years, slow down a little, and keep looking for the right instructor you click with. This game is terribly frustrating but when you earn your improvement it's incredibly rewarding. Don't give up Trevor you've got some world class instructors in your area find the right one. One of the best guys I can recommend for someone at your level is Terry Schaeffer at the Nike learning center at Potomac Ridge, incredibly nice guy and is very very good.

You broke 80 in just 4 years I certainly wouldn't say you suck. I understand you're frustrated but we all have our moments. You gotta hang in there and it'll start to come back around. Like others mentioned Golftec is a fantastic place to go. Best of luck

Thing about golf, it's never mastered. As soon as you think you have it figured it kicks your ass again.

Changing instructors is frustrating. I've been going to a guy at the local course who knew my swing and was helping me get better, but he left this year. I will probably get a package from the next young guy they hire. In the meantime, as I save the money, I'll work on chipping and putting, hard work there can be boring, but it's cheap and it saves strokes.

There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. All you have to do is get in touch with it.
Stop thinking......let things happen......and be.....the.....ball.

I've been playing 16 or so years, pretty regularly now for the last 7 and I'm hanging on to a 14 handicap. I can go anywhere from 82-102 any given day. I hate to say it but if you're frustrated now, the future doesn't look good. I try to enjoy the game and play to the best of MY ability. I will never be a scratch golfer but I enjoy trying. I love playing in scrambles and tournaments. In fact my uncle is a pro at a local course and the "opening day" tourney is week away and it's all I can think about. Lol.

It's an addicting sport and yes it's frustrating at times but I can't think of a better way to kill 4 hours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other thing I've found is that no matter how well I play or how low I've scored I want more. Don't imagine the best players don't get frustrated. I remember Lee Westwood complaining after a round of 60 or 61 that he was frustrated that it wasn't a 59... Hope you keep going

I have been playing for around 5 years now, my all time best rounds were 89. Now I have shot back up into the low 100's, for me most of that is due to lack of practice and consistency. I have a very high percentage of fairways hit, but have trouble with my chipping/approach shots. Putting actually has been great this year with mid 30's putts per round. Don't beat yourself up too bad, I bet a lot of people would love to be a mid teens HC. The game is very difficult and if you can't dedicate a lot of time to it, your going to have to assume your scores will fluctuate. My fiancee hears me all the time rant/rave about my golf game and she always has to remind me that the game needs to be fun. Whether I shoot 150 or 89, if I am having fun that's what really matters.

Lessons and practice. GolfTec is expensive, but I'm a believer after seeing the improvements in my game. If you want to get serious and get better, invest in lessons.

I've been playing 16 or so years, pretty regularly now for the last 7 and I'm hanging on to a 14 handicap. I can go anywhere from 82-102 any given day. I hate to say it but if you're frustrated now, the future doesn't look good. I try to enjoy the game and play to the best of MY ability. I will never be a scratch golfer but I enjoy trying. I love playing in scrambles and tournaments. In fact my uncle is a pro at a local course and the "opening day" tourney is week away and it's all I can think about. Lol.

It's an addicting sport and yes it's frustrating at times but I can't think of a better way to kill 4 hours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is pretty much me too, you are far from alone Trevor. I'm 24 and have been swinging the club since I was 11, but only really played frequently over the last 3 years or so, and I'm rocking a 15 handicap. My goal this season is to get close to a 10, but I've got some serious work to do, and if I don't get there it's not the end of the world. Let's face it, even at this level we're better than a significant percentage of the golfing population!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP, you have found the right place...lots of people addicted to this crazy game.

Being a 16 handicap and breaking 90 most days puts you right in line with the the majority of average golfers, it's a never ending goal to get better.

I have to disagree with the bold. Breaking 90 most days? I believe would put him among a small percentage of the golfing population. Imo and probably a fact the he is one of the luckier ones.

I hope to satisfy my own expectations to be a decent player, but I have no clue how to get there. I write all of this hoping that someone out there has felt this way at some point and found some answers...[/QUOTE]
First I would ask you about on course decision making. Something you havn't mentioned. you mention "own expectations" but I ask, are you playing within your ability or loosing many strokes trying to live up to expectations? Making smarter choices with clubs and shots may possibly be one area that alone may bring you closer to that next level. It works at any level one is actually at imo.

But I still think you have to put things in perspective. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to get even better and work hard at it if you wish. But let me tell you. A best of 79 and a norm of 89-90 is better than most people who play this game will ever come close to doing especially on a normal basis. You my friend (as disappointed or frustrated you may be vs your expectations) are pretty darn good at this game and I think are part of a small percentage of players far from the norm.

I say this because putting things in perspective may help not only in playing smarter (within your means) but also maintaining a better mindset. There is certainly (from your post) a sense of frustration that you cant meet as you say "your expectations" and also as you say "to be a decent player". But you already are a decent player and that imo must be realized. I don't imply you have to give up trying to improve even further. But just may be the frustration you feel will subside and that alone may also help with further improvement.

Let me give you a little background...I have been playing for about 4 years and I love this sport. I play twice a week, watch the golf channel all the time, read magazines, try every tip I see or read. I am a 16 handicap, my best score ever is a 79 and my usual score is 89-90. I have taken some lessons with different instructors and each one sees a different flaw in my swing. I have had a very hard time making swing changes. For example, one instructor told me that my grip was too weak and that I had to make it stronger, he also told me that I had to be patient with the swing change because it would take time. as a result, I started hooking the ball bard and low. Whenever I would go to a course, I would shoot about 120 because I would loose the ball on every tee shot. Playing partners would look at me as if I was insane because I would stay disciplined hooking the ball non stop. I gave up after 3 months and reverted....Another instructor told me I wasn't shifting my weight enough, so I started shifting enough, the problem was that I started having a huge slice because I could not time it correctly. After a couple of months I reverted to what felt logical in my mind.
Meanwhile I have played tournaments and I have won a few of them (if you can believe after what you have read) (won my division, not the entire tournament). in addition, I have sucked in many of them.
I am 32 years old, swing speed of 95. Poor driver, decent iron player, average wedge player, decent putter. Top of the line equipment.
I don't have any issues in terms of wanting to practice, but I simply have not found a method that has solved my shortcomings. It is hard to believe that I have actually won a few trophies and shot some low rounds, yet I cannot tell you what a good swing feels like.
I don't understand how I can love a sport so much yet know so little on how to play it correctly....
I hope to satisfy my own expectations to be a decent player, but I have no clue how to get there. I write all of this hoping that someone out there has felt this way at some point and found some answers...

You could have been describing me with this post! Hang in there and find out what you need to work on. I use a program on my IPhone called swing by swing and it allows me to track each club, and go back after my round is complete and find out where my misses are. It also lets me know how I compare to other golfers around the same handicap which is nice. Knowing how to practice has helped me go lower. As others have said too, course management goes a long way. I really want to hit the ego shot but I score better when I pull the 6 iron and lay up instead of pulling the 3 wood and going for the par 5 in two. If you were interested, maybe we can follow each others progress and see how we get closer to our goals. I think we are both quite alike from what we have read and I would be interested in just sending each other updates on what is working and what is not. Not necessarily swing tips or anything, but more like motivation for each other to keep pushing ourselves towards our goals. Looking forward to hearing from you!

This game can definitely be frustrating. But don't give up. Lessons are always a good thing. I'm contemplating some myself.

I made this post last year:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?48298-Why-do-I-bother-playing

I stuck with the game, got some lessons under my belt, hit the range more often, and worked on my short game. I have another lesson booked with more in the future and a second fitting once my swing is tamed.
I've seen people talk about how frustrating it is to break 90, 80, and even those trying to break 70. I just want to break 100. I'm not in a race to improve myself because that will just cause me to make more mistakes. I am taking it slow and things will fall in place.

You can't hit a home run if you don't know how to swing the bat.

It looks like it's the inconsistency that has you bothered. Don't worry dude, 90% of golfers are that way and it's just the way it is. The only way to get better is a good instructor and range/course time which the majority do not have.

For only playing 4 years and posting some nice scores, keep at it dude, it will only get better.

Let me ask a question. Have you ever been to the same instructor twice? I'm an idiot, and a horrible golfer, but from what I understand from both life and THP is that change IS hard. And part of that means you have to pick a lane and stick with it for a bit. Take your time trying out some different instructors, but try to find one you want to go back to and work on things over time.

Hell, look at Tiger. For a time the best player in the game easily, just an insurmountable force. Then things got tough for him. Even the best among us get frustrated by the difficulties of golf. Even the best.

In regards to course managment, I consider myself very good at it. I almost never take risks or loose balls. Let me give you an example, this past weekend I played a tournament and shot a 90. Didnt loose a single ball. Played smart the entire round looking for pars or boggies. The problem that I have is that in order to play "within myself" I have to do this smooth/slow swing that keep the ball in play while going a moderate distance ( driver may go 210 yards, 6 iron 155, 45 degree wedge 110). Up and downs sometimes happens and sometimes not.
My frustration is that I dont have the ability to play agresive and go after greens. The moment I add some speed into the swing I begin loosing control. I generally play with players that are better than me. I want to be able to attack the course but dont have the ability even with my best efforts. I think I may not have the hand eye coordination to be able to swing fast and straight.

In regards to course managment, I consider myself very good at it. I almost never take risks or loose balls. Let me give you an example, this past weekend I played a tournament and shot a 90. Didnt loose a single ball. Played smart the entire round looking for pars or boggies. The problem that I have is that in order to play "within myself" I have to do this smooth/slow swing that keep the ball in play while going a moderate distance ( driver may go 210 yards, 6 iron 155, 45 degree wedge 110). Up and downs sometimes happens and sometimes not.
My frustration is that I dont have the ability to play agresive and go after greens. The moment I add some speed into the swing I begin loosing control. I generally play with players that are better than me. I want to be able to attack the course but dont have the ability even with my best efforts. I think I may not have the hand eye coordination to be able to swing fast and straight.

I definitely takes time. Personally I think the more you play the faster your swing speed will become and your contact will be better as well. There are times I can really go after the ball and still make a good shot, but there are other times I know I have to play it nice and easy. Driver is one of the clubs that I do better with a nice easy swing, same thing with wedges. Other clubs like mid irons I feel like I can go after more often. It will come with time. This game can be frustrating as it is, don't get to upset about distance right now. Look at the older guys that have played golf forever. They may not have the longest drive but a lot of the time it can be the straightest and they kick my but all the time. Distance isn't always the most important thing. Accuracy is far more important I think.

Back