What Stats Do You Track?

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
I've never been much of a stat tracker. I've always been afraid of paralysis by analysis. Also, I play really fast so I forget to add things like putts, GIRs, FIRs, etc. to my scorecard. (Most of the time, I don't even use a scorecard but just track how many over par I am in my head.)

Now that I'm a single digit, however, I realize I should probably track more information each round. When I see a big picture of what I do on the course, I can better accept what I can or can't do. Also, it will give my practice sessions more purpose.

What stats do you track each round? Also, how do you do it? (scorecard, app., tea leaves?)

Score, FIR (and misses) , GIR, # of putts.

I track score and putts, which I can then figure GIRs with. I use a scorecard. I've also started tracing my shots on the hole layouts on the scorecard after the round to help think about where I lost my strokes.

None but score.

This is a good question, and stats are something I never tracked before. Last week, I had one of my worst 9 hole scores ever while trying to take notes about each shot I was hitting. On the back, I threw away the notepad and shot 12 strokes better. This past round, I simply tracked Score, Putts, Tee Club, FIR, GIR and Penalties. I look forward to the day (it better be soon) where I can stop that last category.

I keep my stats while I play -- FW, GIR, putts. But, I don't keep up with them after the round. Only score.

I kind of use the stats to see if they validate how I felt about the round.

I have an app on my iphone/mac that I plug them into, but on the course I just grab an extra scorecard and on each hole write down the following (first couple whichever one pertains to what I actually did)

F/R/L (fairway/right/left)
G/U/S (Green/Up/Save)
1st putt distance (approximate)
# of putts

I also make a mark if I took a penalty stroke or if I went in the sand. During a round I don't feel like it takes any extra time (do it while the other guys are putting or teeing off following the hole) and I get a good amount of data from these 4-5 stats with maybe 5-10 minutes after the round on the phone or computer (to enter these stats).

If I improved I might look at the Game golf system to try and do a better job of tracking distances and what not.

FIR/GIR%, Putts per round average, average drive and longest per round.

Score, FW's hit, putts, and any penalty strokes. GIR I can tell afterwards by comparing score and putts.

Tee club, ball path off tee, pitches, chips, putts, bunker shots, and obviously strokes. I'll write down any FIR and GIR I get.

Per round, FIR, GIR, Number of Putts, Shots from sand. OVer the course several rounds I look at the percentages that Golfshot gives.

FIR, GIR, Putts and score.

HTC M8

Score mostly once in a while GIR but not often

Unfortunately, being a high handicapper, I track # of putts and penalty strokes in addition to score.

Tracking penalties helps me realize that I could shave probably 10 strokes of my score if I hit the fairway more lol. Tracking putts has helped me focus on avoiding the 3-putt, and really not giving up too many strokes on the green.

I track score only. I really don't care how I get to my goal as long as I get there. I know that on any given day certain aspects of my game will excel and others will suck, I know it when I'm doing it, writing it down does not help me.

What Stats Do You Track?

Score
FIR
GIR
Tee club
Putts
Sand shots
Penalty shots
Up & downs
Number of doubles or worse

If I'm using Golfshot it tracks a lot of stats

If I'm a single on my scorecard I track

Score, putts FIR, Sand and penalties.

Using Tapatalk

Only score for me.

Score
FIR
GIR
Putts
Penalties
Doubles or worse.

Score
FIR
GIR
Tee club
Putts
Sand shots
Penalty shots
Up & downs
Number of doubles or worse

Same here. I do it on my scorecard except for updowns, which I figure out later. I'll also track the number of pars, birdies, bogeys, etc.

I use golfshots. It tracks strokes, GIR, Fairways (or left/right), sand, penalties, and putts. I think it CAN be very useful. Not so much for me because I'm about evenly divided in my fairways, left or right, so how do you fix that. If you were always left then you can focus on that, or vice versa if right. It will also track distances for clubs I believe, but that's not a feature I use or have tried to learn anything about. You can look at your last 5 round average, your last 20 round average, or all rounds in history as well.

I pretty much track score and putts right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fairways
Greens
Putts
I can get most of what I need from those 3 things, I used to track everything but my guru at the time said to keep it simple and quit.

What Stats Do You Track?

Strokes to par

Recently I've started tracking FIR and direction of miss and putts.

Back