Taylormade Tour Preferred CB Iron Review Thread

So I did a little informal test last night of these. Before I get to the results, I will say that as my round went on last night, I started to see some better results. So that was encouraging. Hopefully more course time tonight to see if I can build upon that. Anyway on with my quick trials last night.

Hole number 3 is a par 3. From the tee I was playing the pin was 145 and back edge was 150. Little bit of wind in the face(this is a part of the course where it swirls big time). Took 1 swing a piece with the CB 7 iron and my DPC 7. Hit both decently. The CB gps'd at 138 and the DPC at 151(was just off the back).

Next chance I got was on a flat hole and I just dropped 6 balls and took 3 swings a piece. This was later in the round and I was swinging a little better. Anyway of the 3 CB swings the AVG was 144 and the DPC was 153.Now these are certainly informal tests and believe it or not, I am not a robot so my swing varies from swing to swing.

2 swings that really got me excited, even though the results weren't perfect.Playing the 6th hole, had 149 to the back pin. Took out the 7 iron and flew the green(lost ball in hazard). Result wasn't good, but the strike was and the distance was there. The other was an 8 iron, to a wicked uphill green. Pin was 138(not counting slope) middle, pulled the 8 iron and found the back of the green, ball was 4 feet from it's pitch mark. So those 2 swings really had me encouraged.

Dean, the two swings that had you encouraged, were those with the CBs? Any clue why you would see such a variance?

Dean, the two swings that had you encouraged, were those with the CBs? Any clue why you would see such a variance?

they were with CB's. Really no clue. I would guess that I stayed down a touch longer and perhaps didn't flip. Those 2 *should* be my normal yardages from there, but I played 1 less club due to what I have been seeing.

Dean, I know you are in a simulator so there will be a difference but when you were getting fit did the numbers on the launch monitor indicate anything like this would happen?

Dean, I know you are in a simulator so there will be a difference but when you were getting fit did the numbers on the launch monitor indicate anything like this would happen?

during my fitting my AVG was 159 yards, carry was around 156. Typical for what I would want to see. I'm still not pushing the panic button yet, just trying to give feedback on what I am seeing.

Got the CB's a few days ago. Compared them to my RAC LT's. Very similar look, the CB's are slightly larger. They are +.50 so they are the same length. The CB's are very light in comparison. I have the project X 5.5 flighted shafts in them. I don't know if that what makes them feel so light. I only got to hit about 20 balls in a swirling wind. They definitely get up in the air I just have to really back off of them. I'm thinking maybe a different shaft or stronger shaft like the project x 95 that or I might go look at the speedblades and see if they are a little heavier or feel better.

Had my fitting today and order placed. Should have them next week. Went 4-A with the SteelFiber I95's. This will be my first graphite iron shaft. Can't wait to get them in and out on the course.

They are real beauties.

Had my fitting today and order placed. Should have them next week. Went 4-A with the SteelFiber I95's. This will be my first graphite iron shaft. Can't wait to get them in and out on the course.

They are real beauties.

Sweet man. I should have gone that same route. Can't wait for you to get them in.

They are real beauties.

Great choice. In hindsight I too should have gone with the Aerotechs but hindsight is 20/20 I suppose. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Taylormade Tour Preferred CB Iron Review Thread

Great choice. In hindsight I too should have gone with the Aerotechs but hindsight is 20/20 I suppose. Looking forward to your thoughts.

The neat thing is. I went in "wanting" the SteelFbers. But like a good fitter does, my guy insisted I try a variety of shafts. We tried about 7 or 8 and low and behold these were the best.

The next closest was the I80's and even though I got a couple more yards out of those the heavier 95's have me a much tighter dispersion.

I'm just extremely indifferent to these right now is what it all comes down to. I play them just fine and can score with them as I've shown the last 4-5 rounds, but I honestly just want a little more length and I don't think that is greedy of me to say. They feel great, good launch, decent forgiveness on my misses, but there is just something missing for me.

They are real beauties.

The SteelFiber i95's are my favorite iron shafts out there right now. Great decision. I have them in the Speedblades and CB's and love the way they perform with both. Enjoy them and let us know what you think.

I'm just extremely indifferent to these right now is what it all comes down to. I play them just fine and can score with them as I've shown the last 4-5 rounds, but I honestly just want a little more length and I don't think that is greedy of me to say. They feel great, good launch, decent forgiveness on my misses, but there is just something missing for me.

I like them, but I want more distance as well. I am going to get 20 round in for a full handicap, and I will see them if they stay or not.

That's me too. My distance has improved some over the last few rounds. Still want some more time with them but I'm not sold on these being the irons for me long term. I think they are a good set, like you mentioned feel good and look great. Not sure I would go for them over the i25 given the choice.

That's me too. My distance has improved some over the last few rounds. Still want some more time with them but I'm not sold on these being the irons for me long term. I think they are a good set, like you mentioned feel good and look great. Not sure I would go for them over the i25 given the choice.

I wouldn't put them in the top 5 of irons sets out right now, for me. Not a chance to be honest.

I know that will ruffle some feathers, but its what I'm seeing.

I wouldn't put them in the top 5 of irons sets out right now, for me. Not a chance to be honest.

I know that will ruffle some feathers, but its what I'm seeing.

You and me both bro. Too many other solid options bump this one down the line. The distance just isn't there and the feel is just kind of blah.

i had the G25's and i just bought the tour preferred cb's after trying the I25's and the titleist ap2's. While i agree with the feel being better on the other two. For me i was getting about 5 more yards out of the taylormades than those other two. I also was getting more distance than my G25's. I know everyone is different but for me who is a die hard ping guy they were the best choice

i had the G25's and i just bought the tour preferred cb's after trying the I25's and the titleist ap2's. While i agree with the feel being better on the other two. For me i was getting about 5 more yards out of the taylormades than those other two. I also was getting more distance than my G25's. I know everyone is different but for me who is a die hard ping guy they were the best choice

And that is why we always say here to go hit them all for yourself and see what fits best, for me the i25's are 8 yards longer on every club. Love it, enjoy these dude, sounds like you found on that will work really well for you.

I have made a decision on these for right now. With leagues coming up on Wednesday, I am going to sideline these for a while. Since I have someone else counting on me to hit good shots, I feel better about going back to my old set. Just not sure which ones I will use! It will probably be my MC Razr X irons, but it still might be the HB3's.

I hit the CB's ok, but I am still inconsistent with them, and right now I need to be getting good scores, so it's time for this change. I will still go out with them, but they are not as forgiving as any of my other sets, and I gotta have that right now.

Starting today, the CB's are out as my regular set. The gap wedge is staying though. It's the one club I love pulling for a shot!

I do love that gap wedge too smalls. My favorite club from the set.
I thought you were hitting these good?

Back