Forgiveness vs. Workability

This is me as well. I can't get past it, visually. There are some heads out there that I am quite a fan of though, particularly in the "crossover" type category - Apex, X Hot Pro, RocketBladez Tour, Adams CB3, those types. My trouble is I often don't like the stock shaft offering, and I'm not willing to pay anywhere near full retail, so it's tough. I imagine I will make a change at some point when the right set at the right price comes along, but for now I'll probably stay where I'm at.

Have you ever been through a fitting to determine the shafts that are right for you?

I made the switch from "workability" to "forgiveness", and my handicap dropped significantly.

Putting ego aside and making a decision to make this game easier has really helped my scoring. Truth be told, I can make the Apex move the ball (to the left...), and the typical shot shape - a slight draw - tends to play anywhere.

Looks are certainly important, but several GI clubs still fit the bill, including the Apex. Ultimately, though, I want to make this game easier.

I made the switch from "workability" to "forgiveness", and my handicap dropped significantly.

Putting ego aside and making a decision to make this game easier has really helped my scoring. Truth be told, I can make the Apex move the ball (to the left...), and the typical shot shape - a slight draw - tends to play anywhere.

Looks are certainly important, but several GI clubs still fit the bill, including the Apex. Ultimately, though, I want to make this game easier.

I'm still proud of you for that. It paid off too. #bottomgroove

I'm still proud of you for that. It paid off too. #bottomgroove

Eh. It's the first step in the battle.

The next step will be convincing my ego -- again -- that I don't need the Apex Pros when I go down to the Annika Academy for the MC fitting.

Haha.

I think Apex Pros are perfect for you.

#TeamTHP

Have you ever been through a fitting to determine the shafts that are right for you?

I have, and I know for a fact from that fitting that KBS Tour S is a bit too much - not enough to ruin me, but enough that I am leaving something on the table. The last time I was fit, the PXi 5.5 came out as the winner, with the runner up being KBS Tour R+. After talking with Conrad at KBS, I believe that the Tour V S would be a good fit as well.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

The Rocketbladez Tour for me seem like a good blend of both forgiveness and workability and you should be able to get a good deal on them

I really liked them when I hit them last year, they are definitely a consideration. My only concern is that the stock shaft in them is KBS Tour, and I'd really like to go with a slightly lighter shaft as mentioned above - PXi 5.5, KBS Tour R+, Tour V S, etc. - because I know that the Tour S is a little too much shaft for me. But I also know that the Tour R is probably not enough shaft, and it'll be tough to find an R+. So it's a little tricky.

I'm playing Kbs tour stiffs soft stepped once, ever thought about that option?

I have, that would probably work well. Problem is, I'm cheap and don't want to pay full price, I want to trip and fall into the perfect deal used...unlikely, I know haha. If I wasn't a cheapskate, I would just head over to the pro shop, get fit, and order what I arrive at, but in my brain I just can't justify more than $500 or so for irons.

I have, that would probably work well. Problem is, I'm cheap and don't want to pay full price, I want to trip and fall into the perfect deal used...unlikely, I know haha. If I wasn't a cheapskate, I would just head over to the pro shop, get fit, and order what I arrive at, but in my brain I just can't justify more than $500 or so for irons.

#THPMC...:D

#THPMC...:D

You bet I'm trying for next year! Couldn't drum up the vacation time to justify doing both the King and MC this year though.

You could always order irons and soft step them yourself you would only need to buy one extra shaft

You could always order irons and soft step them yourself you would only need to buy one extra shaft

That's a good thought, though I'd have to price out getting them soft stepped somewhere, since I don't have the equipment to butt trim shafts.

That's a good thought, though I'd have to price out getting them soft stepped somewhere, since I don't have the equipment to butt trim shafts.

All it takes is a good pipe cutter or a hack saw

I bought MP-32s a couple years ago and watched my scores balloon. Swinging the much smaller clubhead took a lot more concentration and mishits vibrated the heck out of my arms. Quickly went back to Rac OS and enjoy golf again. I plan on bringing the MP32s back again one day once I develop a more repeatable swing. I will probably go with something more middle of the road first like Tour Preferred though.
Guess I'm the dinosaur here. I grew up playing blades and am firmly entrenched in the philosophy that you will not improve your ball striking if you can't feel if you're hitting the sweet spot or not. For me it's all about hitting that pure shot, even if it only happens a couple times a round. I am not saying GI irons will not improve your handicap, or make golf easier but I do think it's a limiting factor in your development as a player.

I have gone from a true blade to a Titleist 710 CB/MB combo set to my current Adams CMBs. But this winter put a blade 2-iron and persimmon driver in my bag for practice and am pretty sure my next iron set will be MP-4s (unless I win the lotto and can buy some Miura Baby Blades). After hitting the 2-iron for a few sessions, I almost reverted back to my old MacGregors but don't like the shafts.

You should take a couple of those MP-32's to the range and practice with them along with your RAC OSs and watch your ballstriking improve. I'll switch between the blade & CMBs to help my rhythm and intention to hit through the shot. Same with the persimmon - when I'm swinging that well and switch to the Razr-Fit I can't miss and am bombing the hell out of it! Once you're feeling really good about your swing while hitting those MP-32s, find a FW bunker to practice out of instead of hitting off the range - whole next level sh*t :bulgy-eyes:

Guess I'm the dinosaur here. I grew up playing blades and am firmly entrenched in the philosophy that you will not improve your ball striking if you can't feel if you're hitting the sweet spot or not. For me it's all about hitting that pure shot, even if it only happens a couple times a round. I am not saying GI irons will not improve your handicap, or make golf easier but I do think it's a limiting factor in your development as a player.

Okay I will bite. How?
Wouldnt it only be limiting if one then had to change to something else? And this is assuming that one could not get any feedback by using something with forgiveness, which is not all that accurate really. I mean I see guys shoot 62s and 63s with perimeter weighted clubs, hybrids, large forgiving drivers, etc all the time, how come they are not limited?

Whether or not this is true, I play a set of GI irons, and I sure can hear and feel if I hit a pure shot or a poor one. I still have to hit the sweet spot for ideal results, but I like getting acceptable results when I don't. Having the forgiveness allows me to enjoy the game while I work to improve my ball striking.

So if I want to get better I should buy clubs that are harder to hit? :bulgy-eyes:

Because I like the look of them. I really only suffered for a round or two and then figured out how to hit them...it's not hard lol

Honestly SGI clubs would probably benefit most but I simply can't stand the size of them. I'd play a blade before an SGI iron.

Because I like the look of them. I really only suffered for a round or two and then figured out how to hit them...it's not hard lol

Honestly SGI clubs would probably benefit most but I simply can't stand the size of them. I'd play a blade before an SGI iron.

Genuine question. How do you hit your RAZR X HL hybrid? Wouldnt the size be a huge turn off?

True. It's definitely an option, good lookin out man

I'd be willing to bet there'd be folks on here willing to help if you needed it as well.

Okay I will bite. How?
Wouldnt it only be limiting if one then had to change to something else? And this is assuming that one could not get any feedback by using something with forgiveness, which is not all that accurate really. I mean I see guys shoot 62s and 63s with perimeter weighted clubs, hybrids, large forgiving drivers, etc all the time, how come they are not limited?
Sorry that should have read "limiting factor in MY development as a player". I can hone in on the sweet spot more when there is a bigger difference in feel between hitting the sweet spot and not.

Those guys that shoot 62 & 63 are pros and could probably shoot that with a set of 40 year old Wilson Staff Fluid Feel clubs, but since it's also their job and little differences can make a big difference in tournaments and money they're looking for every advantage. Since I'm not playing for money and don't have the benefit of an on-call instructor, Trackman and custom made everything I rely on feel to groove hitting the middle of the club face. And what works best for me is to be able to feel the hits and misses so that I can zero in the sweet spot. Your body is capable of distinguishing the minute differences between a great, good and just missed it shot and the more you refine that feel the better you can hit it consistently.

Anyhow like I said, I know that's totally old school and am not looking for anyone on this site to agree with me but I still think the practice tip is legitimate.

Sorry that should have read "limiting factor in MY development as a player". I can hone in on the sweet spot more when there is a bigger difference in feel between hitting the sweet spot and not.

Those guys that shoot 62 & 63 are pros and could probably shoot that with a set of 40 year old Wilson Staff Fluid Feel clubs, but since it's also their job and little differences can make a big difference in tournaments and money they're looking for every advantage. Since I'm not playing for money and don't have the benefit of an on-call instructor, Trackman and custom made everything I rely on feel to groove hitting the middle of the club face. And what works best for me is to be able to feel the hits and misses so that I can zero in the sweet spot. Your body is capable of distinguishing the minute differences between a great, good and just missed it shot and the more you refine that feel the better you can hit it consistently.

Anyhow like I said, I know that's totally old school and am not looking for anyone on this site to agree with me but I still think the practice tip is legitimate.

Gotcha. With the correction it makes more sense. While I dont agree with it, it works for you and you enjoy the game. Hard to argue with that.

So if I want to get better I should buy clubs that are harder to hit? :bulgy-eyes:
I have those blades in my garage, but you can easily find find a used blade iron to practice with at Play It Again Sports or thrift shops

Back