Forgiveness vs. Workability

Perkins Rooster

Reaction score
Handicap
10.1 RCGA
I'm genuinely curious as to why those of you who play more 'player's' type irons do so. I understand that the more bladelike iron you play the easier it is to 'work' the ball, but other than that is there any advantage? If I'm simply trying to hit a straight ball is there any reason to not play a 'GI' offering? What do you all think?

Honestly, I just like my irons and that's why I play them. They aren't as forgiving as others I've played, but my scores never suffered from it. I don't work the ball, aside from ocassionally trying to hit the ball lower. Confidence and playing something you like are as important as many other things when it comes to choosing your clubs.

Some people think they will play better with a player's iron so the do it. Some really do work the ball. Some think they are good enough to use them. Some players (pros) are paid to use them.

If you just wanna hit it straight then don't use a blade.

I don't play blades, and don't think I ever will, but that doesn't mean I have to play a SGI instead. There are lots of other options out there, and to me playing a straight blade does not make sense. JMO

I play forged players irons because I like butter.

For me, many GI irons with a lot of offset cause me to hit left a lot, so irons with less offset work better for me. On the other hand, as I get to longer irons, I like more offset as I don't pull those longer clubs left at all really. Just the way it is with my swing.

For me it's a few things. I have always loved the look of a blade type iron from the top of line view. I know they have come out with many new irons that have a thin top line view and have more forgiveness to them but I love working the ball. I've loved doing it since I learned how way back when and it's a big part of my game. I do find it easier to work the ball with tour or blade irons than I do with others. I guess when it comes down to it, it's a personal preference.

I don't really think the two are mutually exclusive, but I get your meaning.

I play the GI irons because it feels better and works better for my game. I play a straight ball or my natural shot shape (draw).

This has been an issue for me too. Offset is not good for me in any of my clubs really. Save for the putter.

I don't really think the two are mutually exclusive, but I get your meaning.
In retrospect I think I should have simply called this thread, 'Why do you play a 'players' iron?'

I played Mizuno Mp-32's for several years. I liked them just fine. They looked great at address and I could pretty much do what I wanted to do. The problem is, I started to not be able to play as much and my ball striking and consistency were not what they used to be. I switched to the TP CB's and it has really helped my consistency quite a lot. I notice that when I do play I hit more greens than I used to. I think I may have been trying to do too much with the Mizzy's. If something happened and I was able to play 3-5 days a week like I used to then I might go back to another set of blades. I am neither a hater or an advocate for blades. If you like them, then hit them. If not, there are plenty of other options out there.

I played Mizuno Mp-32's for several years. I liked them just fine. They looked great at address and I could pretty much do what I wanted to do. The problem is, I started to not be able to play as much and my ball striking and consistency were not what they used to be. I switched to the TP CB's and it has really helped my consistency quite a lot. I notice that when I do play I hit more greens than I used to. I think I may have been trying to do too much with the Mizzy's. If something happened and I was able to play 3-5 days a week like I used to then I might go back to another set of blades. I am neither a hater or an advocate for blades. If you like them, then hit them. If not, there are plenty of other options out there.
Just playing devil's advocate here: So why not get R11's, or JPX 800's? Is it becuase you still want to have some degree of workability? Or would the change in look of the topline throw you off too much? Something else?

Its the feel for me. Something about having the mass of the club right behind ball feels so much better, more responsive, more accurate. That's why I play blades now.

But, reality does set in sometimes. SGI clubs are intended for mishits, blades are intended for center contact. Golf is a game of mishits, so SGI/GIs are absolutely valid.

I can not get a GI iron to go anywhere near straight or at a somewhat normal trajectory. Oh, and By the way I am a 30 handicap. When I started golfing about 3 years ago I picked up a cheap set of GI irons, they were terribly hard to hit for me. One of my buddies had a set of Hogan Apex blades that he plays and said I should try them. I could actually hit those somewhat straight so I went out and bought a cheap set of blades that are now my backup set. So that was three years ago. Recently I was looking at getting a new set so I went to my local golf store to hit everything I could and my failures with all the major GI sets were comical. So I picked up a set of players cavity back irons that I love. Now I was traveling and did not have my clubs with me this Christmas holiday so I was forced to borrow a set of GI clubs. Worst round of my life. I could not get a club to go even close to straight. I had to hit little 3/4 punch shots all day to avoid snap hooking everything.

I grew up playing on an old set of blades because my family didn't have a lot of money. I had to play with what I had. I just grew to love to look of the thiner lines. Also, that really helped me become a better ball striker. Now I play the Callaway Razr X forged b/c that is one of the clubs that performed best for me at my local shop while I was being fit. Great irons that work well for me.

Just playing devil's advocate here: So why not get R11's, or JPX 800's? Is it becuase you still want to have some degree of workability? Or would the change in look of the topline throw you off too much? Something else?

The R11's had just came out when I got my CB's. I hit them both. The CB's were $100 less and they felt better to me than the R11's.

Also being left handed my options of clubs to try is quite limited. I never have or never will buy a set of clubs without hitting them first.

Last edited:
To me, forgiveness and workability isnt connected at all.

Just because a club isnt forgiving, doesnt mean its workable, and vice versa.

All IMO of course..

Forgiveness is mishits,
workability is the golf swing.

I have the forged MB's and loved that it gave me a bit of both. I love being able to work the ball both right to left and left to right. I love it when I want to hit a lower shot or rear back and place the ball up in the air. The course I play requires that you do all of that in order to score well. The MB's give me a slight cavity back while also feeling like a blade. I also think it has to do with how well your ball striking is.

The R11's had just came out when I got my CB's. I hit them both. The CB's were $100 less and they felt better to me than the R11's.Also being left handed my options of clubs to try is quite limited. I never have or never will buy a set of clubs without hitting them first.
So it came down to feel for you then. I've hit both of those and I happen to agree with you. Interesting, thanks for the feedback!

I grew up playing on an old set of blades because my family didn't have a lot of money. I had to play with what I had. I just grew to love to look of the thiner lines.

+1. I also grew up playing an old set of forged irons that my dad passed down to me. I loved them and got use to playing them and also got to love the traditional/classic golf club look. Once I got older and took up golf again I took a stab at the GI irons thinking they would help me get back into the game. I struggled the entire time with them. They were always way too high of a trajectory, and I couldn't stand looking down and seeing a huge, thick blade and some ridiculous cavity-thing behind that. It looked huge and it felt like I was swinging a 20 lb club. I switched back to a forged set and immediately dropped my score 13 pts. I also don't really work the ball either, but I've always been able to consistently hit irons straight.

I have to say personally, I prefer workability. Not because I am necessarily great at working the ball; in that regard, I am only mediocre. BUT, I appreciate getting the feeling and instant feedback that comes with clubs that aren't as forgiving. I think, for me anyways (at least I hope), that it will make me a better golfer in the long run.

So it came down to feel for you then. I've hit both of those and I happen to agree with you. Interesting, thanks for the feedback!

My buddy has a set of the Titleist combo irons. I hit them really well and can work the ball decently. Problem is, I hate the way they feel. I cannot buy clubs when I know i don't like the way they feel. That is one of the main things I look for in irons other than looks and end result. If it doesn't look right at address and if I can't hit it where I want to (most of the time) then it's not for me.

Forgiveness in a club is in some ways a governor on workability, forgiveness is the club design eliminating as much as possible any accidental working of the ball occurring through a bad swing or bad setup or both.

For irons, I like a like workability. But, I think 99% of the average golfers are probably losing a couple shots a round trying to work it.

For my driver, I want straight and forgiving. I just bough a 910 D2. When I was getting fitted for it, I was asked if I wanted to try the D3, which has a little more workability in it. My response, "If I'm standing on the tee box thinking I want to work the ball, I probably shouldn't be hitting a driver off that tee box."

Back