Round 1 Matchups - 2014 Morgan Cup #THPMC

Im not going to lie, seeing our match this morning definitely had me practicing a little harder today.

Six, trout it shall be an honor to share the battlefield with you. We just have to make sure all three cobra staffers dont wear the same outfit

I'm excited dude, I know we chat back and forth via pm but at least we'll really have an opportunity to hang and get to know each other. This is a great event!

Paladin and I are excited to be sharing round 1 with you two guys...it will be a blast.

You got that right. Though work has limited my practice to studying flyover maps of TB, it's been on my mind all day.

Awesome to see this released

Pretty awesome to see all the excitement today

John/Jeff can also throw a football over those mountains. Least I've heard that........

Back in '82, I could throw a pigskin a quarter of a mile.

Back in '82, I could throw a pigskin a quarter of a mile.

If you woulda won the state championship, you wouldn't be selling Tupperware door to door.

Wow Jeff/John, we got a good group my friend! My brotha from the clean state of CO, J4U will be nipping at my heals once again come July! And I have heard nothing but good things about Mr. Seth. This is going to be one fun group to play in.

It's going to be an epic battle. 4 dudes who will be bringing their A games.

If you woulda won the state championship, you wouldn't be selling Tupperware door to door.

You're right. I would be sitting a hot tub with my soul mate.

Pretty damn cool to see the matchups for this. This will be here before we know it. Seeing these pairings makes it that much more real. Best of luck to all of you.

Wow Jeff/John, we got a good group my friend! My brotha from the clean state of CO, J4U will be nipping at my heals once again come July! And I have heard nothing but good things about Mr. Seth. This is going to be one fun group to play in.

Who said anything about heals? ?

With the forming of the pairings and seeing the announcement this morning, pretty much on my mind all day!

This IS going to be one Heck of a match filled with fun and great competition. If I said I was excited/nervous it's an understatement.

#doworkwithvision

Playing nine after work was well.....different knowing that morning matches are set in stone. #FocusOnTheGoal

JM

Thinking about the modified Pinehurst. Some strategy involved, the longest drive may not always be the best choice. One player may be on with his irons and that may need to be taken advantage of.

Putts will have to be read carefully as you don't want to leave your partner a long come backer. And what ball will you play? I know my partner plays a spinier ball than I do. Do I swing easy to accommodate or do we play my selection.

Lots to think about.....

Thinking about the modified Pinehurst. Some strategy involved, the longest drive may not always be the best choice. One player may be on with his irons and that may need to be taken advantage of.

Putts will have to be read carefully as you don't want to leave your partner a long come backer. And what ball will you play? I know my partner plays a spinier ball than I do. Do I swing easy to accommodate or do we play my selection.

Lots to think about.....

Didn't even think about the balls... (that came out wrong, but I'm going to leave it) There is a lot to think about, and it's going to be fun thinking about it all for the next 90 days.

Getting to know your teammates or partner will be paramont. This MC is going to be about synergy more than another, IMO. This is going to fun and I think the bonds built here will be something a little special.

And what ball will you play? I know my partner plays a spinier ball than I do. Do I swing easy to accommodate or do we play my selection.

Lots to think about.....

Or for all you know, you'll be able to replace your ball with your own ball for the next shot. While that might sound kind of odd, that question hasn't been answered either which way. Kind of the same thing for the alt shot second round too no? What did you guys do in the alt shot last year, just play the ball of the person off the tee used? Or did you play their ball off the tee so they had their own ball in for second shots?

So it looks pretty good that Team THP will have four points after round one.

Or for all you know, you'll be able to replace your ball with your own ball for the next shot. While that might sound kind of odd, that question hasn't been answered either which way. Kind of the same thing for the alt shot second round too no? What did you guys do in the alt shot last year, just play the ball of the person off the tee used? Or did you play their ball off the tee so they had their own ball in for second shots?
We played the Callaway Hex Black.

Im not going to lie, seeing our match this morning definitely had me practicing a little harder today.

Six, trout it shall be an honor to share the battlefield with you. We just have to make sure all three cobra staffers dont wear the same outfit

I'm looking forward to it buddy. It shall be a very fun tough battled match. I for one think it would hilarious to see all 3 of you in the same Cobra/Puma outfit!

We played the Callaway Hex Black.

I think as the event gets closer, we'll have that answer locked down about what to do for that. That would be interesting if you get two different profiles entirely paired up. Say, someone choosing the E6 for example and then paired up with someone playing the B330 if they were both using Bridgestone balls.

I think as the event gets closer, we'll have that answer locked down about what to do for that. That would be interesting if you get two different profiles entirely paired up. Say, someone choosing the E6 for example and then paired up with someone playing the B330 if they were both using Bridgestone balls.
Last year Cobra played Bstone, so cookie and I could play different balls from the same company

Last year Cobra played Bstone, so cookie and I could play different balls from the same company

Ah perfect example then. Let's say you go with the B330 and Cookie goes with the Lady Precept because he's said in numerous times before he likes that ball and hey, this is my example and I do what I want haha. Would he feel comfortable using the B330/you using the Lady Precept? Or would you each "switch" balls off the tee so you would be playing your own ball for the second shots and already know how it's going to react for you?

With Pinehurst on the back 9 each will tee off then best ball chosen so would both switch balls? Traditionally on alternate shot, you have to play your partner's ball as it lies... Definitely brings a wrinkle

Per Golf Digest back in 2012:

A rules change in 2006 partly explains the reduced angst. Instead of having to play one make and model of ball the entire round,teammates now can switch golf balls on each hole, providing a different kind of strategy.

At the 2008 matches at Valhalla, Phil Mickelson summed up the players' approach given the opportunity to play a different ball on each hole. "I tee off with their ball and they tee off with my ball," said Mickelson. "Off the tee it's not going to make too much of a difference. It's the distance control and how it comes off the irons and the trajectory and so forth [that is important]. And we will be hitting our own balls with our iron approach shots."

I'm not sure what you do in Modified Pinehurst. In regular alt shot, I'm not at all worried because of the above.

With Pinehurst on the back 9 each will tee off then best ball chosen so would both switch balls? Traditionally on alternate shot, you have to play your partner's ball as it lies... Definitely brings a wrinkle
it does bring up interesting strategy calls. Or do I just tell him how it's gonna be...hehe

Ah perfect example then. Let's say you go with the B330 and Cookie goes with the Lady Precept because he's said in numerous times before he likes that ball and hey, this is my example and I do what I want haha. Would he feel comfortable using the B330/you using the Lady Precept? Or would you each "switch" balls off the tee so you would be playing your own ball for the second shots and already know how it's going to react for you?
leave my cookie alone... But seriously there is some strategy involved for sure when two different makeups are involved.

leave my cookie alone... But seriously there is some strategy involved for sure when two different makeups are involved.

I agree, it's going to be a tricky strategy for sure. Thanks Cookie for being my example. I guess I could have gone SR1 vs B330 but that's not as much fun!

Back