Stock Market & Retirement Planning

This is actually very normal for this business as it relates to companies with major launches. Q2 cannot compete with Q1 because less retail buy in. Add the weather issue and that most Green Grass is just opening doors now and you see it year after year. Its why its shocking to some to see marketshare leaders drop price this early for the 2nd straight year in some categories.

Thanks for the information. I'll admit, I'm not all that well-versed in economics and how markets work, but I'd like to learn more. JB, why do you think the pricing changes happened early this year? Everyone knew the winter and early spring was pretty bad for most of the country, so it was going to take a while for a lot of golfers to start their season. Is it a situation where a company is trying to get ahead of the others with price drops and the others then follow suit, or is it just that price pressures are so high right now throughout the industry?

I don't get Microsoft. Everything they have done recently seems to have been a huge failure (mobile, Win8, Slate) but they keep raking in cash.

They make a crap-ton of cash in licensing, mainly Client OS and Office. That's how they can stay afloat and have failing biz units (Xbox, Zune, Mobile, etc.)

Apple having a nice after hours run, up 7.5% ($40) to $564

Thanks for the information. I'll admit, I'm not all that well-versed in economics and how markets work, but I'd like to learn more. JB, why do you think the pricing changes happened early this year? Everyone knew the winter and early spring was pretty bad for most of the country, so it was going to take a while for a lot of golfers to start their season. Is it a situation where a company is trying to get ahead of the others with price drops and the others then follow suit, or is it just that price pressures are so high right now throughout the industry?

Its the million dollar question. It happened last year with a market leader too and that was followed by Callaway and others about 2 weeks later (as Chip eluded to during the call). This year, he said they are aware of the drops of the market leader again, but have no plans of doing so at this time.

Jump start buzz. Pick up dollar marketshare points. Grab golfers. There are so many reasons for price drops, but I am not one to speculate on why a company does it outside of not moving as much product as expected.

Everyone expected bad news from Apple, and got good news instead, including a 7 to 1 split coming up. Their chart for the day yesterday was hilarious.

fx9v.jpg

Everyone expected bad news from Apple, and got good news instead, including a 7 to 1 split coming up. Their chart for the day yesterday was hilarious.

fx9v.jpg

It is believed that the 7-1 split is to prep them for placement as one of the 30 Dow stocks. At 500+, they would skew the Dow too much. So, they have never been considered for it.

I do invest, although I don't control it. I chose among mutual funds based upon risk level and just dump money into it.

~Rock

I'm holding tight. Not a good day despite major gains.

I didn't get rid of all of my shares. I will probably scoop some up in a few days. The guidance was not very good, despite good earnings. I found something cheap that I have wanted to toy with for a while, so I moved to that for a few days.

Yes - finally an after earnings upswing in Apple. My wife and I have been heavily invested in Apple since she started working there 14 years ago and yesterdays earnings call was a breath of fresh air. Can't wait for the new products. I'm still hopeful this stock double in the next 5 years.

late start to the 2014 golf season
Pretty straight forward, the long winter.

high retail inventory levels
Interesting that inventory would be high in light of the huge jump in earnings (which generally equates to increased sales, which should mean they have less inventory)

anticipated promotional activity
Interesting in that we've generally been hearing how several of their product lines will not be discounted.

successful retail sell-in
Not sure what this means at all.

When I read this quote on "anticipated promotional activity" I took it to be anticipated in the industry, not necessarily with Callaway...although promotions do not necessarily mean discounts (buy a driver, get fw wood free does not technically discount the driver).

When I read this quote on "anticipated promotional activity" I took it to be anticipated in the industry, not necessarily with Callaway...although promotions do not necessarily mean discounts (buy a driver, get fw wood free does not technically discount the driver).

They are basically saying that there's a glut of inventory right now. If one starts promotions, the others will follow. It may not be on all products, and it may be in the form of "buy this, get this". I would not be surprised to see some heavy promotions on Speed Regime.

Yes - finally an after earnings upswing in Apple. My wife and I have been heavily invested in Apple since she started working there 14 years ago and yesterdays earnings call was a breath of fresh air. Can't wait for the new products. I'm still hopeful this stock double in the next 5 years.

The 7 to 1 split is an odd number, you just never know how it will react post split, when Mastercard split a few months ago i thought it would rebound quickly and it has actually gone down a touch

Stock Market & Retirement Planning

The 7 to 1 split is an odd number, you just never know how it will react post split, when Mastercard split a few months ago i thought it would rebound quickly and it has actually gone down a touch

My understanding is that splits are just a tool to get the stock into a particular price range. In this case the stock is at 500 so the 7 way split gets them to about 35 per share. They probably have reasons for wanting to be in that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that splits are just a tool to get the stock into a particular price range. In this case the stock is at 500 so the 7 way split gets them to about 35 per share. They probably have reasons for wanting to be in that range.

I would imagine the fact that it broadens the base of potential buyers would be an important factor.

Just an ugly, brutal, awful day. Sometimes it's better to ignore the day to day ride of the market.

Yeah it was not a good one. Well F did well again, marginally. Inching towards that $17 number.

A lot of smaller investors see the $500+ price and don't think of getting in. Once the split occurs, you'll see a lot of folks who wouldn't have thought of buying any shares delving in....My grandmother has already told me she wants to buy 25 shares once it splits. It's a mental thing.

Be thankful if you have things to distract you today. The Ford news is not pretty.

Be thankful if you have things to distract you today. The Ford news is not pretty.

Uggh. I saw it a bit ago. Its just one of those days. Next week is a new week.

Most of the market is down today. It is a buying opportunity.

ELY near 8.69 is very tempting.

And F, under 16, is a decent long-term play.

Anyone thinking about Twitter? It's down 36% since the start of the year. I need to look at more closely before deciding.

Sitting here and finally had a chance to get through Ely numbers. That was just a monster quarter. I don't get how they are taking a hit when they are completely turning the company around. Everyone is going to take a hit this quarter Gross wise in golf due to this awful weather we are having. I think it would be crazy not to buy some right now.

Mulally stepping down from Ford. Not unexpected, but I am interested to see if there is fire near that Microsoft smoke.

Back