How to get more involved with THP?

TheShow

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having a tough time getting involved. Outside of the common "welcome" or "congrats" post, I can't ever really think of things to say.

Being so new to golf, I'm not qualified to dish out advice to others, and when there is something I feel I can bring to the table, someone has usually said it before me so I don't comment due to repeating thoughts. Not to mention most of the new subjects I think of have already been posted about.

I love this site, I check it just about every time I pick up my phone/tablet, I just don't know how to get more involved on the site.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Lots of ways. Ask questions. Talk about the game. It definitely does not take expertise to discuss how we play shots, holes, etc.

Do a course review.
Enter contests and chat about them.
Jump into a THP Event thread and talk with all.
Join in on a THP event.

Lots of ways and the group here is so welcoming.

No matter how long you've seen playing this great game, there are tons of threads that really don't have much to do with playing golf. Pro sports threads, golf apparel threads, electronics threads, parenting threads, etc. There's something here for everyone.

And when you're ready to talk golf, we've got that too!

Jump on in!

Hey guys, I'm having a tough time getting involved. Outside of the common "welcome" or "congrats" post, I can't ever really think of things to say.

Being so new to golf, I'm not qualified to dish out advice to others, and when there is something I feel I can bring to the table, someone has usually said it before me so I don't comment due to repeating thoughts. Not to mention most of the new subjects I think of have already been posted about.

I love this site, I check it just about every time I pick up my phone/tablet, I just don't know how to get more involved on the site.

Any thoughts/ideas?

This was/is me in terms of thinking I had nothing constructive to offer, but it will come, trust me.
What do you want to know more about? Shafts, putters, wedges? Read on those, ask questions, they will be answered in a non demeaning way, the only bad question here is one not asked.

Lots of ways. Ask questions. Talk about the game. It definitely does not take expertise to discuss how we play shots, holes, etc.

Do a course review.
Enter contests and chat about them.
Jump into a THP Event thread and talk with all.
Join in on a THP event.

Lots of ways and the group here is so welcoming.

This! I attended my first THP event last September and felt totally welcome. I can say I've made some pretty good friends through THP!

There are many ways to become involved. THP is what you want to make it.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Never be afraid to offer your opinion. There are all kinds of golfers here with all different skill levels. If you have experience with a certain club, throw your insight out there. It may help someone that is also new to the game who is looking for the perspective of someone at the same skill level. I know I always look for feedback from people with similar games. Also like JB said, jump right in with the contests and events. #TheKing live thread is going to be off the charts today. Get in there support the guys and mix it up. Jump right in and you won't regret it.

In addition to what the others have said for me I felt the same way when I first joined. Then I joined a Fantasy Hockey league with some of the people here and that was a great way to post about something and get to know a few of the awesome people here. That helped me feel much more comfortable and it just took off from there.

Enjoy and don't be afraid to ask but also do some serious reading as well so much great information here.

Good luck and see ya around.

I felt the same way when I joined. I was led to join here mainly because of the equipment review threads (SeeMore putters, originally, I think). I finally started asking some questions in those threads, and it snowballed from there.

Getting together with local THPers to play golf was a game-changer! Now I have faces to go with names, & these guys are so welcoming, regardless of handicaps or experience.

Like has been said the best way to learn is to ask questions, and that also gets you involved. If there's a piece of equipment that looks interesting to you, find the thread and just say what you like about it or fire away some questions.

I've found for me the reviews are a great way to learn; THP staff reviews and member reviews. Those are fantastic places to ask questions. They feed you a ton of info.

Or if there's a certain part of the game, anything about the game really, that you think is interesting and can't find a thread on it, start one.

I know what you're saying, and I felt similar when I joined. Won't be long and you'll be mixing it up with everyone with no problem.

Solid advice in here TheShow, I hope you do just jump in and offer opinions on any subject matter, not just golf. Check through old threads and use the search feature anytime you think of something you are interested in and you just might find a thread that discusses one of your interest outside of golf. Find THPers in your area and get together for a few rounds. Attend any official THP event that you can, it will certainly change your life and your involvement with the website. Just as you did here in this thread, start a thread with any question that just seems to not have been addressed anywhere else on the site.

Good luck and I hope to see you soon at a THP event somewhere.

One thing that helped me was getting involved with the THPers and get togethers locally. Maybe finding your local area thread and joining the chat will help you feel a little more involved. And once you start going to get togethers, the THP experience just gets better and better.

For me, who knew little to nothing about equipment when I joined, I chimed in here and there until a THP event that I attended. It was a great way to meet people and join in on a conversation. As I became more of an equipment junkie I started to ask questions and offer my feedback. Jump in to the thread with THPers from your area. I went to several nonTHP sponsored get togethers and was able to meet a lot of new friends who I chat with in the forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Any thoughts/ideas?

There has been a ton of good information and advice given already. Just be yourself. You have already shown that you are outgoing enough to start your own thread, so you are 99% there. Don't worry about duplicate topics either. I can't tell you how many times I have started a thread and it has been merged into one that already exists. Just be yourself and come here to enjoy golf. I guarantee that you will, and the rest will take care of itself.

Welcome again, and I hope to meet you in person at a THP event or informal gathering soon.

JM

Ask questions, post up a swing video in the Swing Tips section and ask for advice. As others have said, there is more here than just golf, so check out those sections too. Put yourself out there, and you can't help but get involved!

There have been some great responses here. There are many different avenues you can take to get more involved. Talking about the equipment that THP is testing, asking questions to the testers, that is one of my favorites. Jumping into the conversation about THP events. The banter threads are a very good way to get involved.

It took me months to get involved. You just have to jump right in. Ask a ton of questions--no better way to learn than from some of the amazing THPers on here.

Do whatever you can to actually meet THPers in person. Whether it's an Event or a local gathering, being able to put a face and personality to a Forum Name has completely changed the way I interact on THP.

Another thing to think about is that even if you are going to say something similar to what another poster has said, post it anyways. Maybe your wording of it will help someone understand the subject better. We all think about golf, shafts, clubs, balls, etc. etc. in different ways. So even if something means the exact same thing, mentioning it in a different way can be beneficial to other members who maybe think similar to you.

Another thing to think about is that even if you are going to say something similar to what another poster has said, post it anyways. Maybe your wording of it will help someone understand the subject better. We all think about golf, shafts, clubs, balls, etc. etc. in different ways. So even if something means the exact same thing, mentioning it in a different way can be beneficial to other members who maybe think similar to you.

^^^^ this! Couldn't agree more

Back