Hello from North Dakota!

Shouter351

Reaction score
Handicap
Well thought I would drop in and say hi. I am from Fargo, ND, and I just recently got back into golfing after about a 4 year hiatus. I went golfing on vacation in Texas, and the bug bit me. I am an extremely high handicapper, lefty, and am golfing with a cheap set of clubs I bought probably 6 years ago. I am not consistent at all with my irons, and I don't know whether to blame it on my cheap (less than 200 for the whole set, driver, 3 wood, 3 and 4 hybrid, and 5 through PW irons, "ProTech" brand) clubs, or my swing. I went to Austads golf here in fargo and swung some Ping g20s, and Taylormade Rocketballz irons, and I got to say, both of them I seemed to hit well. Fairly consistent at 160 yards with a 7 iron with the g20s, and with the RBZ 7 iron, i was usually around 170, with a few bombs past 200. I am 6' 4", so the longer RBZ's seem more comfortable to me, and the price is more comfortable to me as well. I would really like to get a set of game improvement irons, as my cheapy set seem to be knockoffs of some blades of some sort, not forgiving at all. My main questions is, do I get a set of irons now, or should I hold out and get a few lessons and see how I hit my cheap clubs? I can get 3 sessions for 90 bucks at the local sports bubble. I hit my driver fairly well, slight fade, but fairly consistent. After hitting a set of good clubs, its so hard not to want to buy a set of new irons. Thanks for reading and so far I am really enjoying this site.

John

Welcome to THP, John.

Welcome to THP!!!

:welcome: John!

Welcome john

Welcome to THP John, glad ya found us.

Welcome John. Honestly it depends on where you feel your game is outside of the clubs you are playing. Have you had lessons in the past? If you have the option I would throw up a few videos of your swing, as there are some very knowledgable guys that could point you down the right path. IMO I wouldn't invest money into clubs, unless fitted and even outside of that should you take lessons your fitting may be obsolete after that.

Welcome to the team John!

Welcome!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome John. Honestly it depends on where you feel your game is outside of the clubs you are playing. Have you had lessons in the past? If you have the option I would throw up a few videos of your swing, as there are some very knowledgable guys that could point you down the right path. IMO I wouldn't invest money into clubs, unless fitted and even outside of that should you take lessons your fitting may be obsolete after that.

That's difficult to say, I have never once played with anything other than cheap walmart/play it again sports clubs, but I know I seemed to hit better at the range with the RBZs. I have never had lessons before either.

That's difficult to say, I have never once played with anything other than cheap walmart/play it again sports clubs, but I know I seemed to hit better at the range with the RBZs. I have never had lessons before either.

Next option would be to see if you can pick up a used set from the Marketplace here. A lot of THPers throwing used sets in great condition on here. Good luck in your adventures and glad you are here!

I found a set of left handed taylormade rbz irons at my local all sports store for 349. Seems like a pretty good deal I think.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP John!!

Welcome to THP!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to THP. TM rocketbladz seem like great irons from what I have heard. Keep checking ebay. Deals are always around, picked mine up foe half price

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

I actually picked up my set of RBZ for I want to say $279.00 last summer. (Not the RocketBladez)

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP from another NDer!

welcome to THP, i'd get lessons before I got new clubs

You're going to want both lessons and better clubs. I don't know, but I'd probably go for the clubs first, just because I love gear, but I'm sure a lot of people will tell you to go with lessons first.

Welcome to THP!!!

Fargo has actually ended up being my vacation destination the past 2 years.

Back