Wilson FG Tour Ball - Review Thread

I had the opposite experience. To me so far it's the most durable urethane ball I've ever played.
Very interesting, how many holes do you think you've got on one ball? Any weird strikes, trees or cart paths?

18 holes on one ball and it still looks brand new.

I played one ball for 5 or 6 holes before I lost it to a plugged tee shot (then lost the last ball to the water on the next tee shot) so it didn't get a ton of play. But it looked pristine through holes I did play it.

Has anyone else noticed a lack of durability with these or just me?

After < 1 round, the one I was using looked pretty beat up.

I had the opposite experience. To me so far it's the most durable urethane ball I've ever played.

That's weird. I noticed it almost right away, and I didn't hit a cart path or anything until after I noticed it. I know I hit a few hard wedge shots and ran one across some sandy area left of a fairway, but that's it.
After I DID hit a path and one tree, it was toast. Will pay more attention on the second ball after HHI.

Haven't had a chance to hit my free ones yet, but will put them in play Friday.

Tapatalk 2: The sequel is even better than the original.

Does anyone know if these are substantially different from last years model? I saw last years on sale at my shop and picked up a dozen yellows for $28.

Does anyone know if these are substantially different from last years model? I saw last years on sale at my shop and picked up a dozen yellows for $28.
I didn't even realize their was a previous version.

I know. Same name, different packaging:

ybyqamyj.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After investigating a bit it looks like the 2013 version is a 3 piece and the new version is a lower compression 4 piece ball. I played one of the 2013 balls this afternoon and it was fine. At $28 for a tour ball it is a good bargain, though I did miss the softer feel of the newer ball. When you get your two sleeve pack you will get a business card that has, among other things, a code that gives you $10 off the new ball. I think they are a pretty nice option at $35, I'll probably by some.

Over the past couple of years, Wilson has offered an FG Tour and an FG Tour X (think Pro V1 and Pro V1X) in their premium ball category.

My understanding is that the 2014 FG Tour, according to Wilson, combines the best bits of the previous FG Tour and FG Tour X models meaning they will offer just the one premium ball for this year.

Will be doing an article on these for the home page, which will include on-course and some monitor numbers.

I've played the two-pack here and there that drp sent me, but not a bunch to this point. Last night I hit the short game practice area up and found quite a bit to like. Nice soft cover and that meant some good checking action on clean lies. Very soft sounding ball with both a wedge and putter. We'll see how it all works out for the long game too.

A couple things I like in a golf ball - softness (low compression) and good spin from a wedge. This could be a pretty good ball for me based on specs.

Will be doing an article on these for the home page, which will include on-course and some monitor numbers.

I've played the two-pack here and there that drp sent me, but not a bunch to this point. Last night I hit the short game practice area up and found quite a bit to like. Nice soft cover and that meant some good checking action on clean lies. Very soft sounding ball with both a wedge and putter. We'll see how it all works out for the long game too.

A couple things I like in a golf ball - softness (low compression) and good spin from a wedge. This could be a pretty good ball for me based on specs.

Nice Hawk, I was excited you'd be reviewing these, I was really and truly impressed from the 6 that Troy gave me earlier this year.

Nice Hawk, I was excited you'd be reviewing these, I was really and truly impressed from the 6 that Troy gave me earlier this year.

Solid ball on the green for sure. Hoping it's nice and durable too. Would love to see this in the $30-35 range.

Solid ball on the green for sure. Hoping it's nice and durable too. Would love to see this in the $30-35 range.

They held up about like I would expect for me, no big knocks there. I agree though, if it could get into that range, it would have my attention much more.

I've yet to put my 2 ball pack into play, but I loved the Duo and assume I'm going to like these as well (low compression). My 2 ball pack also came with a $10 off coupon fwiw.

I've yet to put my 2 ball pack into play, but I loved the Duo and assume I'm going to like these as well (low compression). My 2 ball pack also came with a $10 off coupon fwiw.

Nice. I think you'd like them Pete - at least around the greens. Can't comment elsewhere yet. Give em a try.

ive played these a little bit the last couple weeks.

1. soft feeling tour ball off irons and putter
2. good spin full iron shots spin back. greenside getting good check.
3 driver and long game not any noticable distance loss. maybe a little more spin then used too but not much

Sounds like it's right up my alley then.

It is a solid ball. I've got a fairly big stash of balls waiting to be lost so I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on using that $10 coupon which gets the price into the happy zone Hawk & JMan discussed above. I'll probably regret not using it as soon as the coupon expires.

In other news, the 2013 has been a good ball also. I can't really put my finger on any stand out or bad characteristics, I just like it. It is kind of like the Chrome+ for me in that sense.

Well, it definitely spins. Hit a bunch of shots on the LM last night w/ a 53° wedge and it was zippy. Not that I expected anything different since it's got the urethane cover, but had to make sure. Comparable to the Z-Star I tested the night before and I'll have a nice little graphic to put in the review.

I love Hawk graphics.

so the main difference between the previous version and this years is they are 4pc and lower compression?

I have been playing the previous edition in yellow and love it. Buying it cheap as most retailers are looking to make room for this new model.

I think that is correct.

Wilson makes some really good balls at good prices. They know they can't demand the prov1 price point.

I bought 4 boxes of them from Academy a few months back when the 2013 went clearance (I <3 picking stuff up on clearance) and every single ball was an absolute pleasure to play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I said earlier that I wished these were in the $30-35 range, and I still do because I'm a cheapo, but I'd pay the $44. It's a solid ball. Played an entire 18 with one today and was highly impressed with the action on the green and how it felt on full swings. Hard to gauge distance because I didn't hit any other balls next to it, but seemed to be what I'd expect.

Back