Wilson Staff FG Tour Traction Control Black Wedges - THP Preview

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In for review are the Wilson FG Tour Traction Control black wedges. I will be able to provide feedback on both the traditional and tour sole designs, both in 56* for a solid side by side comparison of benefits. I tend to be a bit more shallow in my wedges and love to manipulate my higher degree wedges near the green, leaving me favoring the tour sole on paper, however, I have typically used a more traditional wedge in my playing history.

From Wilson Golf

SLEEK BLACK FINISH

The murdered out black finish reduces glare at address and provides a sleek, modern look.

TWO UNIQUE SOLE DESIGNS

The Traditional sole features optimal width and camber for a player with a medium to steep swing.

The Tour Grind sole features a thinner effective sole width for players with a medium to shallow angle of attack and is geared for players with shot variety around the green.

SPIN-ENHANCING FACE TECHNOLOGY

The proprietary Tour-Y groove design and 11 laser-etched micro-spin enhancers between each scoreline support maximum spin on both full and partial shots. Both grooves and lines stand near the USGA maximum for surface roughness.

VERSATILITY

Two sole options and nine different loft/bounce combinations exist; thus, a choice of 35 unique loft/bounce/sole configurations can be achieved through custom fitting.

In Hand Photos

20140430_152827-XL.jpg

20140430_152243-XL.jpg

20140430_152303-XL.jpg

20140430_152254-XL.jpg

20140430_152955-XL.jpg

20140430_153008-XL.jpg

20140430_153025-XL.jpg

20140430_153112-XL.jpg

Last edited:
These are some great looking wedges. I was really impressed with them at the Wilson Demo day that I went to awhile back. They don't feel too "head heavy" and they really set up well for me at address.

Love the finish on these wedges
...will be interested to see the differences in testing side by side.

Love the finish on these wedges
...will be interested to see the differences in testing side by side.

I'm with ya there Mike, love the finish a lot! Will be interesting to see Dan's thoughts on the two, very different grinds.

Dang good looking wedges. That tour grind sole is very interesting.

The finish looks fantastic in hand. A nice dull matte when the sun is behind the clouds, and quite a bit more vibrant when the sun comes out -- yet not enough to glare in the swing thus far.

I was able to take them to the course this evening, and spent a bit of time getting to know the weight and the nuances of a 56* around the green (I more typically play a 58* but can adapt quickly enough). Not surprisingly, being able to take advantage of the tour grind around the greens made it very easy to open the face and flop -- A shot that is a must in my bag. With that in mind, even the traditional grind allowed for plenty of creativity.

Distance is predictable on good and bad shots, including a relatively thinned mid flight shot that carried 10 yards past intended target and spun back quite a bit. Most others landed soft (the ground was soft to begin with) and came to a stop within a foot or two of the divot.

Weighting is nice. A slightly heavier head pairs nicely with the DG wedge shaft, and the made-for-Wilson Lamkin 3Gen performs to expectations.

I used to play tw9 wedges from WS and I really liked them. The finish is really nice and that 11 bounce grind is very interesting. I am guessing that is the tour grind?

Some cool looking wedges.

Those are very good looking. Wedges are almost as personal for me as a putter. With the amount of play they see weighting is pretty important too. Versatility with these is a must. The traditional grind looks pretty sweet. Other OEM's do the laser etching also, is there a life expectancy for these too?

Would love to get those in my hands and see how they feel from 10-20 yards out. What is the retail on those Canadan?

I really like the look of those!!! Great color! Love those Grips also. Look to be the same grips on the TaylorMade ATV wedges.

Man those are good looking wedges.

I used to play tw9 wedges from WS and I really liked them. The finish is really nice and that 11 bounce grind is very interesting. I am guessing that is the tour grind?

You are correct. Encouraged for players who have a more shallow swing and enjoy getting creative around the green. Less on the heel allows the golfer to open the face up without the leading edge being too elevated.

Very nice the new wilson stuff is looking very cool

You are correct. Encouraged for players who have a more shallow swing and enjoy getting creative around the green. Less on the heel allows the golfer to open the face up without the leading edge being too elevated.

Very nice. I like that the leading edge doesn't get to high. I have seen to many wedges like that with the lower bounce but the leading edge is way up in the air, relatively speaking.

I look forward to seeing how you get along with these wedges.

I actually really like the look of the wedges. Not a fan of the lettering where it says Traction Control. It seems plain and the logo with the C looks like the Cleveland logo a bit.

Outside of that, I really like the look of them. Love that finish.

Definitely some very nice looking wedges. Interested in hearing how the 56* performs green side for you.

Great initial write up.

I've always been a fan of a more traditional wedge look, but greenside tonight, I consistently reached for the tour grind because I know it's built better to get the ball up, especially with a loft like 56.

Glad to see the photos represented the finish well in both light and cloudy situations. I am very impressed by the PVD finish.

These are some sharp wedges!
And at a fair price.

Love the looks of these, plus those grips are awesome.

I gave these a waggle tonight but didn't wanna dirty them up, such a good looking finish. I don't think I've seen Canadan spin a wedge back on a green until tonight. I'm not sure he was expecting it but the FG tour put some serious back spin on an approach shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I gave these a waggle tonight but didn't wanna dirty them up, such a good looking finish. I don't think I've seen Canadan spin a wedge back on a green until tonight. I'm not sure he was expecting it but the FG tour put some serious back spin on an approach shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Good feedback Andy, thanks. It did surprise me, but it was notably thin. I've always played a higher wedge approach to land soft and stop, but I am quite curious to find how just how much action the FG Tours can impart on golf balls. Green side, you could really see the ball bite.

Back