How To: The Poor Man's Guide to Reshafting Irons

Thanks for the offers of assistance everyone!

Trying to educate myself....using the Baffler XL irons as an example:

When looking at the specs online it lists the tip diameter as .335 with graphite or .370 with steel.

I highly doubt they make 2 different heads for the different diameters so I'm guessing that some sort of shim is used for the graphite shafts since all head hosel diameters have to be .370 to accept the steel shafts?

In addition to that, I know what tapered and parallel tips are but what does it mean in relation to fitting an iron head? Are some compatible with shims and some aren't? I realize that a .355 tip shaft won't fit into a .335 hosel so trying to understand the possibilities besides the obvious.

Thanks guys!

As for fitting cookie at one time there was a birdied by many that taper tips offered more consistency and control, now, I've never bought that ideology at all, but that's me.

All .355 shafts can be shimmed to .370.

You'll also be correct in that they likely didn't make 2 heads and the .355's are just shimmed.

Thanks James, makes sense. Looks like the Baffler heads are .370.....is it strange that they would have both .335 and .370 shafts being used as stock? I didn't know it was possible to put a .335 shaft into a .370 head.

Quick question. I am going to put a Kuro Kage Graphite shaft in a Bio Cell 6 iron. Both are .370 per the respective websites so I am good there. I have re-shafted steel a few times but never graphite. Anything I need to do different? I assume I will need to buy a .370 ferrule.

I would think the .370 ferrule and then just scuffing the tip up nicely will do the trick.

My CTL in the Baffler XL head is curing right now....let's hope it doesn't fly off tomorrow.

Quick question. I am going to put a Kuro Kage Graphite shaft in a Bio Cell 6 iron. Both are .370 per the respective websites so I am good there. I have re-shafted steel a few times but never graphite. Anything I need to do different? I assume I will need to buy a .370 ferrule.

Should counter bore. 90* & sharp edges dont bother steel but graphite needs a bevel

If my eBay prowess works for me today, I may have a "new to me" set of clubs coming my way soon. The shaft is a flex that doesn't work for me so I'll most likely be doing a pull and going with a new shaft with characteristics that fit my game. Thanks for starting this thread, it seems somewhat simple (famous last words).

It is simple. Just do the 4 iron first, because you can deal with the trial and error stuff on a club you won't neccessarily use. I've actually introduced some new things into the way I build clubs these days, which makes the process a little more detailed, but the nuts and bolts are the same.

It is simple, just be patient letting the heat gun warm up. The first pull can tale longer than the rest, it goes faster after that.

Just got a set of KBS tours Stiff+, that I've been looking for. Can't wait to try my hand at club building to put these on my cb3's.

I will practice on an old set of irons first, but this thread makes everything so simple. Thanks

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have them.

Has anyone had experience reshafting bore-through iron heads? The ones where the shaft goes all the way through and there's a cap on the heel?

Has anyone had experience reshafting bore-through iron heads? The ones where the shaft goes all the way through and there's a cap on the heel?
Not personally. I tried to have a bore through driver re-shafted and not one shop would touch it - they all insisted it be sent back to the OEM because they said it is way hard.

I had a friend that wanted my to do one for him i looked into how to do it decided i di not feel comfortable messing with it

Yeah...I figured it would be super difficult.

As I have some new shafts I will be looking at getting some heads for them, I have seen people reshafting and the irons have little weights in them, is that something I have to worry about or what is the go with them? The shafts are .355 TT so I assume I need to find heads with that size and also ferrels in that size or do I get the ferrels a size up for on the shaft? Also would you guys put the heads on first then grips or the other way around? Thanks for any help, im all new to this and looks like something I can try myself.

As I have some new shafts I will be looking at getting some heads for them, I have seen people reshafting and the irons have little weights in them, is that something I have to worry about or what is the go with them? The shafts are .355 TT so I assume I need to find heads with that size and also ferrels in that size or do I get the ferrels a size up for on the shaft? Also would you guys put the heads on first then grips or the other way around? Thanks for any help, im all new to this and looks like something I can try myself.

You will need irons & Ferrels .355 I always put shaft in heads before gripping makes it easier to line up the grip

You will need irons & Ferrels .355 I always put shaft in heads before gripping makes it easier to line up the grip

Thanks Brian. Do you know any thing about the weights or is that nothing I need to worry about?

Figure I will ask the question here...when purchasing shafts for a 54 & 58 wedge, should I be targeting a certain length or can I cut down the shaft?

Figure I will ask the question here...when purchasing shafts for a 54 & 58 wedge, should I be targeting a certain length or can I cut down the shaft?

If they are new, they will need to be butt trimmed.

I'm very curious as to install the shaft back into say a head like the x-hot iron where it has the plug in the bottom or is that just the black glue sealed off in them? I want to experiment a little with these but I would like someone who has done these to give some tips, PLEASE!

I'm very curious as to install the shaft back into say a head like the x-hot iron where it has the plug in the bottom or is that just the black glue sealed off in them? I want to experiment a little with these but I would like someone who has done these to give some tips, PLEASE!

Likely a swing weight and you'll probably want to pull it out. Heat it lightly and dig it out or you could drill it out. Could also be epoxy, in which case you can just drill it out.

The X-Hots (reg not pro), are a bore-through head. See my inquiry a few posts back. I was thinking of doing these as well.

Back