2014 #TheKing Was Here - Video & Recap Thread

Greats recaps coming in still.. I have been trying to work on my Saturday round recap but work has been an effin mo fo this morning.. The only think keeping me sane right now is relieving last weekend with THP, the Zoocrew, and all you basement dweller internet golfers. Good times, boys... good times.

Greats recaps coming in still.. I have been trying to work on my Saturday round recap but work has been an effin mo fo this morning.. The only think keeping me sane right now is relieving last weekend with THP, the Zoocrew, and all you basement dweller internet golfers. Good times, boys... good times.

I feel ya bud, real busy catching up here as well. I still need to post my Sunday recap and my list of impressions on all the awesome folks I met this weekend - I promise it's coming soon folks!

Sunday Funday!

I woke up Sunday a bit anxious as I had played really well on Saturday and hoped it wasn't a fluke. Miller Time and I packed up and headed down to the lobby where I met up with Alek and decided to do breakfast at the hotel rather than deal with the service time at the clubhouse. We walked from the hotel to the range which is a bit unnerving as you're walking towards people as they are hitting, luckily for us no one was duck-hooking it! My range time was a bit frustrating as I was hitting line drives with my irons and seemed to be a bit off, I did have a few good warm-up drives though. I was "That Guy" on the 1st tee as I proceeded to top my drive about 25yds and follow it up with another duff out into the fairway, it seemed like it would be a long day from there...

I was playing with Buckjob and against Scott Goryl and Jimmy G who were all great guys to spend the time with. Jimmy and Buck had a tight match going all morning and I believe ended up AS. #BuckLong is an actual thing as I saw him poke a drive a good 40yds past Jimmy and I on a few holes that we each crushed Bertha. you can actually hear a muffled yelp from the ball as he tees it up. I really enjoyed watching those two make their way around the course and watch some of the decisions they made, and I feel I really learned a lot from the two of them.

Scott was great to play against and we hit it off right off the first tee as his father was born/raised in RI and he has spent some time up my way before. He had some very interesting lies that he had to contend with (a really awkward bunker shot that I was impressed he pulled off without serious injury!) and kept positive all day. I had some really lucky scramble shots that kept me in a lot of the holes, and my putting was fairly accurate as well which I was happy about. It was a fun match, and I would tee it up with those guys again in a heartbeat!

After the match, we waited around for all of the groups to come in and I was amazed how close it was. It seemed to flip between teams a few times until the last group came in and Team Harry was declared the winner. I was elated to be a part of this and happy to have played a part in the victory. JimmyG was busting my chops all weekend about MVP status and I was shocked to learn that Myself and my roommate for the weekend (MillerTime) were each named team MVP's Go Room 230!! A years' supply of golf balls is going to be really helpful with how many I lose, so thank you Callaway and THP!!

After everything wound down and we said goodbye to the Callaway guys and some others I finally got to experience the magical chicken tenders, and yes they lived up to the hype! Alek, Rancey, Jesse, and I then left to check into our hotel for Sunday night and I convinced them to head to a Best Buy to try to straighten out my phone situation. I'd like to take a moment to thank those 3 guys for their patience as we wandered into some other country at Best Buy then at Radio Shack in the Florida Mall. The WORST service I have experienced in a long time at Radio Shack where the kid just grunted and couldn't write or understand numbers. $125 deductible plus having to buy a pre-paid circa 1997 phone to get my through a week without a smart phone later and we were off to get ready for dinner. Many jokes about my phone later and we met up with SkiBum and ArmyGolf at Hooters for dinner. Our waitress seemed to take her break after she served us and only 1 round was had, but we had a blast reminiscing about the weekend and talking about life.

Back to the hotel and off to bed as Alek and Jesse had pre-dawn flights to get to. Rancey and I checked out in the morning and took the shuttle to the airport and the weekend was over, but what a weekend it was!

Thank you THP and Callaway for an awesome time!

Last edited:
Sunday Funday!

I woke up Sunday a bit anxious as I had played really well on Saturday and hoped it wasn't a fluke. Miller Time and I packed up and headed down to the lobby where I met up with Alek and decided to do breakfast at the hotel rather than deal with the service time at the clubhouse. We walked from the hotel to the range which is a bit unnerving as you're walking towards people as they are hitting, luckily for us no one was duck-hooking it! My range time was a bit frustrating as I was hitting line drives with my irons and seemed to be a bit off, I did have a few good warm-up drives though. I was "That Guy" on the 1st tee as I proceeded to top my drive about 25yds and follow it up with another duff out into the fairway, it seemed like it would be a long day from there...

I was playing with Buckjob and against Scott Goryl and Jimmy G who were all great guys to spend the time with. Jimmy and Buck had a tight match going all morning and I believe ended up AS. #BuckLong is an actual thing I've as I saw him poke a drive a good 40yds past Jimmy and I on a few holes that we each crushed Bertha. you can actually hear a muffled yelp from the ball as he tees it up. I really enjoyed watching those two make their way around the course and watch some of the decisions they made, and I feel I really learned a lot from the two of them.

Scott was great to play against and we hit it off right off the first tee as his father was born/raised in RI and he has spent some time up my way before. He had some very interesting lies that he had to contend with (a really awkward bunker shot that I was impressed he pulled off without serious injury!) and kept positive all day. I had some really lucky scramble shots that kept me in a lot of the holes, and my putting was fairly accurate as well which I was happy about. It was a fun match, and I would tee it up with those guys again in a heartbeat!

After the match, we waited around for all of the groups to come in and I was amazed how close it was. It seemed to flip between teams a few times until the last group came in and Team Harry was declared the winner. I was elated to be a part of this and happy to have played a part in the victory. JimmyG was busting my chops all weekend about MVP status and I was shocked to learn that Myself and my roommate for the weekend (MillerTime) were each named team MVP's Go Room 230!! A years' supply of golf balls is going to be really helpful with how many I lose, so thank you Callaway and THP!!

After everything wound down and we said goodbye to the Callaway guys and some others I finally got to experience the magical chicken tenders, and yes they lived up to the hype! Alek, Rancey, Jesse, and I then left to check into our hotel for Sunday night and I convinced them to head to a Best Buy to try to straighten out my phone situation. I'd like to take a moment to thank those 3 guys for their patience as we wandered into some other country at Best Buy then at Radio Shack in the Florida Mall. The WORST service I have experienced in a long time at Radio Shack where the kid just grunted and couldn't write or understand numbers. $125 deductible plus having to buy a pre-paid circa 1997 phone to get my through a week without a smart phone later and we were off to get ready for dinner. Many jokes about my phone later and we met up with SkiBum and ArmyGolf at Hooters for dinner. Our waitress seemed to take her break after she served us and only 1 round was had, but we had a blast reminiscing about the weekend and talking about life.

Back to the hotel and off to bed as Alek and Jesse had pre-dawn flights to get to. Rancey and I checked out in the morning and took the shuttle to the airport and the weekend was over, but what a weekend it was!

Thank you THP and Callaway for an awesome time!

It wasn't me. It was the gallery.

MVP, MVP, MVP!!!

Well earned my friend.

Truth is that I've never played golf against someone with so many tattoos.

I was scared of what might happen to me if I won the match. Especially since Scotty and I beat him and Harry so bad on Saturday!

So I let him win the last 3 holes. How else could you describe me laying over the turf on 16 and hooking it left into the hazard off the tee on 17? Had it going until then!

Heck he said all the drops were for people he's killed.

:)

Well first off i want to start off by Thanking Callaway Golf especially Harry,Chad,Jason, and Scott for making the trip and for making the event really something special and to remember.... It was truly a blast getting to meet Jason and getting to know the rest of the crew better. Next I want to thank Josh and Morgan, although Morgan didn't make the trip she is always behind the scenes getting things done and a vital cog to making the THP ship run smoothly.

Josh you outdid yourself like always, every time you say this event is gonna be better than the last event that i loved, i laugh because first off its funny to me and second it always is true. you find a way to take everything to another level all while making it fresh and fun. I saw how much work you put in to this event first hand and i know it wasn't easy doing it on your own for the weekend. Thanks for putting together another event which blew my mind and having it run without any major issues..... (i hope to see THP invest in a Dolly to make things run even easier next event) I really enjoyed our time together setting up everything Friday and you can always call me DREW.

Well onto the event itself....... I was lucky enough to have a great friend and local golfing buddy get into the king with me a MR Golf4life and even better he was also on the best team in the event #teamharry. So Brett and i flew down together and got to Omni for a practice round Thursday around 1. We golfed with the one and only Mr Freddie Kong on the International Course. Unfortunately for me that would end up being my best round of the weekend except Maybe Sundays Singles. I played pretty good golf that round except 2 really bad blow up holes where i sucked but i was pretty confident going into the weekend after that round figuring i could afford 2 bad holes if i played solid for the rest of the round. Little did i know the golf gods had other plans in mind.

We relaxed that night and caught up with some friends and met a ton of new ones. Everyone that came to the event was a great guy. I had a convo later in the weekend with a group of guys saying how amazing it is that out of everyone that i have teed it up with from THP and that number is growing quite high have been great people its just rare i guess to find such great people in one place. Truly blessed to have so many great rounds in with so many people i now can call my friends. I know on the one par 3 on Saturday Mornings round there was a wounded warrior stand collecting money and she asked where we were all from and how we met Harry summed it up great explaining how we met on the internet and i got talking about how it was fun explaining to people that i would share a room with a stranger from the internet at my first event. I truly think our group scared her i doubt she asked that question again the rest of the day. But i'm getting ahead of myself..... Friday i got another practice round with Fredrick,Ryan, and Josh we played it like a practice round with multiple shots and putts just getting to know the course. I have never played a round i cared so little about mainly because we were having so much fun and screwing around and the fact that since our tee time was at 4 am the fog wall made it difficult to see anything let another anything to aim at or a flag till maybe the 6 or 7th hole. But that round was a BLAST. Ryan got to see me taking a dump since the lock didn't work on the bathroom door which i'm sure was the highlight of his weekend. i joked about wishing i had video of him opening the door and his face saying it could be Devs new GIF in his signature. could have been epic.

After the round Freddie Ryan and myself helped Josh with setting up the captains suites.... i did more walking that afternoon than i think i did on the courses all weekend long. Crazy about of stuff went into getting that set up just perfect and a TON of trips. We grabbed lunch and continued catching up. The ball busting was my favorite part of that day it was non stop all day and i wouldn't want it any other way. I also learned a lot about stuff that happened in Vegas that i don't remember. some that i wish i did and some that i wish i didn't. I thought that stuff was supposed to stay in vegas like all those commercials i've seen say... oh well.

Friday night was awesome seeing Harry strategize for the rounds was special...... (he could have thrown darts at a board with names on it) haha we banged out the pairings rather quick and enjoyed some delicious BBQ and a few drinks and getting all of our SWAG which included Driver, shirts,Balls, Coins and an iphone cover..... before heading downstairs to Chads Villa where we went over pairings..... Josh gave us the heads up to video and take pics of anything and stuff didn't have to be censored on the site well when Harry was talking i think i deleted 3 videos because i didn't think i could post them even after Josh gave us the OK.... Harry was so funny all weekend, he reminds me of myself with the way he talks and his banter and quick wit.... I was lucky enough to get paired with him Saturday Morning as our modified Pinehurst match partner. We Played ScottyG and JimmyG.... who both played rather well against Harry and I. I didn't play very well and it was hard to get into a groove starting off with that format... i hit some good shots and i think i made my only putt all weekend that was over 10' apparently Freddie keeps talking about this thing called GRAIN i don't believe its a real thing but it sure was weird seeing putts go any way that they seemed to feel like going...... Honestly all weekend in 5 full rounds i saw 3-4 putts go in that were over 10' long. The Grain was that tricky to read and very sticky... i've played on bermuda enough now to know how they kinda are but the greens there were very hard because of the grain. Jimmy and i joked about it on Sundays Round he had probably 8-10 chances of making a birdie putt in that round within 10' i don't think he made any and he was putting good great speed and reading it just like i would its just that no one could get the grain down. i joked jimmy should putt with his eyes closed he'd at least maybe get lucky and make something hell i thought about putting with my eyes closed. Tried adding break a few times but sometimes the green sloped right and the grain actually pulled the putts left it was that crazy of a weekend putting i think everyone would agree. I Watched Harry Drain every practice putt he made on the green warming up and then miss everything all day during the round. But like i was saying saturday mornings round was a blast even though Jimmy and Scotty pretty much smoked us. The coolest part of that round was picking harrys brain on some things and hearing him rant about stuff. I asked some equipment questions but learned more about him and his life which was pretty awesome. I also learned a lot about ScottyG we talked a lot of hockey and i had forgotten he was in Texas for the invitational last year. i remembered when i saw his Stanley Cup Bruins Callaway golf bag. Hes one of the nicest and coolest guys i've met real down to earth and he hit some good golf shots in our morning round.... Him and Jimmy Played great together real ham and egging it the entire round. everytime we thought they might be out of the hole one of them hit a great shot to get them back into it. And they twisted the dagger on 18 to drain a putt to win that hole as well i think putting them up 5 points for the round... They def deserved that win they played great together....

My afternoon round was very different. i tried to get to the range before the afternoon round and work on some things but it didn't help at all The afternoon round was one of the worst rounds of golf i think i've played in a very long time. I actually want to apologize first to my playing partners for my horrible play and the way i acted. I was very pissed about how i was playing although having a great time when i don't play to my ability i am very hard on myself even when i'm playing decent i get that way at times. This round i was circling the toilet and i just lost it a bit and was MISERABLE. I truly am sorry it had nothing to do with anything more than me being upset at myself. I think Jesse and Brett understand me but SkiBum looked like a deer in headlights a few times lol. The big joke of the round was that I started a joke about how handicaps should be banished and that i was Anti Taylormades lets make the game easier campaign earlier in the weekend saying they should make it harder so less people play and courses would be less crowded so i could finish my rounds faster. And how if you suck at hitting a baseball you don't get 4 strikes or if you team can't throw a foot ball you don't have to only go 80 yards to get a touchdown. Brett and i were joking about it a lot during the round and throughout the weekend. Honestly if it wasn't for Bretts play we prob would have lost that match to those guys they were playing decent and brett was grinding it out as i was playing like crap. Brett who i golf with often said he saw me doing things he's never seen me do before like chunking easy shots and having the ball go places i didn't think possible. somehow Brett and i got one point away from Team Chad... Jesse really kept them in that match, he played some really really good golf and was very consistent all day long. I think he'd agree he played some of the best golf of his life that weekend and it was fun to see and route for him to play well. I know hes been working hard on his game and i hope it continues for him this year. It also was pretty special to get a round in with Brett as my teammate it just worked out that way that thats the way Harry set up the pairings and the Philly Boys played together. Something i will cherish from this weekend for sure. Saturday after the round was over i found out my singles pairings and i found out i was going against JimmyG again who was playing some amazing golf during the weekend all i was thinking was i wonder how many points he will take off me tomorrow in Singles cause i'm playing the exact opposite as Jimmy is.... It turned out to be a great match

Jimmy and My match was really a blast it was fun watching him play so well and me trying to keep up. I think i went up one early but didnt' hold onto it for long we were honestly tying with pars most of the match like i said no one could make a putt so birdies were kinda very rare unless of a pop on a hole. Jimmy was on every par 5 in 2 shots and really was pushing me to make shots i didn't want to have to make with the way i was playing. he ended up going up 2 at one point and i got him back to 1 then he won 2 more holes and went up 3 points with 3 to play. I got lucky when Jimmy hit a bad shot and put himself in a bad spot on 16 and won that hole from him.... i think i told him then that i was sorry but i was going to even up the match. 17 was a short par 4 only 254 which i had overdriven the green one day and was just short the other day both with my hybrid. Since i was up first since i won the last hole i had a little pressure on me to hit a good shot and have Jimmy Make a decision on what to do "go for it" or "play it safe" he had his driver and an iron on the tee box. I hit my hybrid just to the right green side bunker on the safe side of the hole. And i think the fact that i was hitting some good sand shots during the weekend jimmy went for it and prob hit his only bad drive of the round OB left. He reteed and hit driver again and landed it on the green. Again i felt like i just got lucky there i got out and actually 3 jacked since i couldn't putt to the hole from where i landed my sand shot (it was a U shaped green and the pin was tucked in the rear left side) so i won that hole and going to 18 with a pop and a LONG par 5 i felt confident i could win the last hole to tie it up. I ripped a drive right down the right side of the fairway prob one of my best drives of the weekend and hit another great second shot to give me 100 yards in for a 3rd shot which i landed maybe 10-15' to the cup. i ended up with a birdie with the pop to finish evening up the round with Jimmy. It was one of the best rounds of competition i have ever been apart of. A close second to my first round in the THPMC last year. I would love to meet up with Jimmy when both of our games are in shape and go at it again. He really did play well and prob would have won if he could putt he had looks at a TON of birdies all round and i was grinding my @$$ off to save pars. Went into the clubhouse to catch the end of the Flyers game have a beer and see that the rest of my team came through and got enough points to take the crown in #THEKING. It was a great weekend of golf for me and has me seriously pondering taking the rest of the year off to finally fix some major things in my swing that i've put off for 2 years. at some point i need to take that step back to take 2 forward. I feel like since i'm already a step back now might be the time to do it. But no matter how bad i struggled it didn't take away from how much fun i had and how special and amazing of an event this was. It was amazing seeing so many old friends and making so many new ones. It was a BLAST! Again i want to thank Callaway and the guys who came for everything they did and helped with for this event and for Josh and Morgan for doing what they do best putting together and ROCKING some awesome events for normal everyday golfers like myself! Can't wait till the next one.

Thanks,
Drew

The best part of that entire writeup is the signature.
Thanks Drew.

I meant what I said in my recap, without Freddie, War Eagle and DrewJob, the captains suites dont happen. They were amazing and filled the void of GolferGal well to help me prepare. It was a lot of work but worth it.

#TheKing will live on and you 16 are part of a special fraternity that kicked it all off.

Thanks Drew.

I meant what I said in my recap, without Freddie, War Eagle and DrewJob, the captains suites dont happen. They were amazing and filled the void of GolferGal well to help me prepare. It was a lot of work but worth it.

#TheKing will live on and you 16 are part of a special fraternity that kicked it all off.

Ha... played 36 with him and just found out his name is Drew. Classic!

Thanks Drew.

which also proves Morgan does the job of 3 men!

And they twisted the dagger on 18 to drain a putt to win that hole as well i think putting them up 5 points for the round... They def deserved that win they played great together....

It was 8, but who's counting? Have to pride ourselves in our small battles as we lost the war and weren't the ones wearing the crowns.

Sincerely hope we can get together over the season. Anytime you want to head up here, the invitation is there. In between, wherever my friend. Heck I might even have a M/G spot! Would make a great team.

Ha... played 36 with him and just found out his name is Drew. Classic!

Its actually not his name, but part of it and he does not care for it. Based on his "look", we should call him Buck. :D

which also proves Morgan does the job of 3 men!

Well to be fair, I would say the job of 1.5 men, as none of us looked all that hard working. :angel:

Its actually not his name, but part of it and he does not care for it. Based on his "look", we should call him Buck. :D

Well to be fair, I would say the job of 1.5 men, as none of us looked all that hard working. :angel:

i was always taught in the fire service to work smart not hard..... without the dolly friday we worked hard buddy..... the best was when you sent freddie and myself down to try to get one and when we came back upstairs you said that you had already tried and they said no.... and i asked why you would send us down then and you said.... "well look at you two" hahaha "Sir if you don't give us a Dolly my friend here with the tattoos is going to kick your butt" Good cop bad cop

i was always taught in the fire service to work smart not hard..... without the dolly friday we worked hard buddy..... the best was when you sent freddie and myself down to try to get one and when we came back upstairs you said that you had already tried and they said no.... and i asked why you would send us down then and you said.... "well look at you two" hahaha "Sir if you don't give us a Dolly my friend here with the tattoos is going to kick your butt" Good cop bad cop

Two things come out of this post.
1. The memories of this event are going to be with me for a long time.
2. You saying the word dolly makes me laugh. I think of a little girl talking about her doll. Then remember the red head, near sleeve and someone yelling "No strokes in gawf".

Two things come out of this post.
2. You saying the word dolly makes me laugh. I think of a little girl talking about her doll. Then remember the red head, near sleeve and someone yelling "No strokes in gawf".

hahaha freaking northerners with their accents even the guys from alaska and canada didn't have one.... although some girls find that attractive i've heard, but i'm not sure its the right kind of accent.

And ill never forget the way you dumbed down the explanation of the one event for me over a glass of Crown Maple! HAHAHA EPIC!

hahaha freaking northerners with their accents even the guys from alaska and canada didn't have one.... although some girls find that attractive i've heard, but i'm not sure its the right kind of accent.

And ill never forget the way you dumbed down the explanation of the one event for me over a glass of Crown Maple! HAHAHA EPIC!

Never seen you laugh as hard as you did.

Hahahhahaha.

It will be a special event, Buck. Reaaally special.

It was something I will NEVER forget, words really don't express how awesome #TheKing was

Drewjob (BuckDrew, JobBuck...whatever lol), you don't have to apologize for Saturday afternoon bro! I completely understand, because I was almost equally confused near the end of the round when I was playing like a horse's a$$ and couldn't hit a single damn ball straight to save my life. You're good people, man, and I really did enjoy that round as well despite some pretty poor play. Would gladly tee it up with you again anytime, my friend!

Hahahhahaha.

It will be a special event, Buck. Reaaally special.

HAHAHAH I'm laughing out loud again the best is JB didnt' have to say much i kinda filled in the blanks it was like a Golf Mad Libs

I've spent like a hour reading recaps and posts...great stuff guys!!

HAHAHAH I'm laughing out loud again the best is JB didnt' have to say much i kinda filled in the blanks it was like a Golf Mad Libs
Just with Buckjob terms, not normal people terms.

Drewjob (BuckDrew, JobBuck...whatever lol), you don't have to apologize for Saturday afternoon bro! I completely understand, because I was almost equally confused near the end of the round when I was playing like a horse's a$$ and couldn't hit a single damn ball straight to save my life. You're good people, man, and I really did enjoy that round as well despite some pretty poor play. Would gladly tee it up with you again anytime, my friend!

Thanks buddy i really wasn't myself that round and i did feel bad about the way i was acting and playing, like i said i've never played a bad round with a THPer and i wasn't a very good THPer that round. I would gladly tee it up with you anytime man.... specially being a Philly boy

Back