So you topped your drive. What's next?

Play your game. Hit what you're comfortable hitting. If you're satisfied, stay that way.

I agree with this^^^^^^Worry not about what others think or say. Play YOUR game. Playing to a number in golf is what it takes to play good golf. Play to your strengths.

I rip off my shirt to reveal my superman UnderArmour and I get on in 2 and birdie the hole.

Then I wake up, send my hybrid Oob left, leave 4 short, skull my first pitch, leave my second one way short cuz I baby it, miss the 5 footer and card an 8.

That my friends is how you build a snow man with flair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rip off my shirt to reveal my superman UnderArmour and I get on in 2 and birdie the hole.

Then I wake up, send my hybrid Oob left, leave 4 short, skull my first pitch, leave my second one way short cuz I baby it, miss the 5 footer and card an 8.

That my friends is how you build a snow man with flair.

I like that, sounds like we are the same. I just hope you don't play with people like my normal group. We get back to the cart and they ask so what did you get par lol.

I like that, sounds like we are the same. I just hope you don't play with people like my normal group. We get back to the cart and they ask so what did you get par lol.

I have friends that would claim a bogey in that exact scenario. Lol.

I once saw Freddie kong top a drive, top his second shot, then jar it from 170 yards for a birdie.

Easy peasy.

This is my approach. Happens all the time...

I like your strategy. Avoiding a blow up score on the first hole is important. Take your bogey to the next tee and feel good about it!

The first shot is over. If it was a par 4, it just became a par 5. What club would you use if your first shot was 250 yards, and you faced exactly the same distance to the flag? You play that shot. No need to change the gameplan. One day you may need that shot. Free practice.

I would try and hit whatever club gets me to 145 or 85 yards left my two most consistent distances, make bogey from there and move on.

I always try and take my medicine and play smart vs playing more aggressive.

It has helped me tremendously playing to a distance to the green when I don't mess up my first shot but also doing what you do when you do have a bad shot. Just try to recover and go from there. Don't get fancy, just keep moving forward in a controlled fashion

I like that thought it makes a lot of sense. I'm confident with all my clubs so I will use what ever is going to put me in the best position. Last year I played with a couple THPers that I have played with before so no nerves but I topped my hybo off the tee didn't even put it back in the bag used it again on my second shot and cut the corner over some trees and put it beside the green for an nice chip in bird.

Could go all the way up to the 3W, but the 3 Hybrid is a very comfortable club for me and can get me close enough for a pitch/chip on par 4's.

I know me, I'd pull the 3w and get down field as far as possible. Might be a mistake, but I'm very comfortable with the 3w or even a hybrid.

I recently started playing smarter like this and it has eliminated more blow up holes.

You played it your way and it worked for you. If I know it's two shots to the green regardless of the club choice I pull a 5 or 6 iron. If I had a good lie I might use a hybrid if the extra yards would mean getting to wedge distance.

What score did those guys have at the end of the round? How was your score at the end? Sounds to me like you made the right choice for you. Play your game. The reason I ask about the scores, if you beat them or were right there with them then all is well. Or if they are playing in the high 90's or so, maybe you shouldn't be too concerned about their "advice" in the first place LOL. It's the reason I don't give my opinion about shots. If I ask a question about that it's because I'm hoping to learn something, not questioning you in what you are doing.

This is a valid point. Unsolicited advice from strangers on the course is rarely welcomed unless the guy is a golf pro or great golfer (who usually don't give advice). In the past when that's happened to me I remind the guy, in the most polite manner, that it's a 2 stroke penalty to give advice on a golf course.

Of course, if it's someone you know that's a whole other matter. Heck, my friends would tell me to take driver off the deck to win the skin.

Top it again then hit it to 30' and drain the putt for par.

The last time I topped a drive, I proceeded to top two 3 wood shots right after. I was laying 3 and hadn't reached the fairway yet, and of course you know this had to happen on the 1st tee with a foursome waiting to tee off after us. Just brutal!

I like that thought it makes a lot of sense. I'm confident with all my clubs so I will use what ever is going to put me in the best position. Last year I played with a couple THPers that I have played with before so no nerves but I topped my hybo off the tee didn't even put it back in the bag used it again on my second shot and cut the corner over some trees and put it beside the green for an nice chip in bird.

That is awesome scrap. I tend to do better on my second shot with the same club. Besides, it's already out of the bag lol.

Take a deep breath and hit a lay up shot to your best distance.. Worse case is you walk away with a bogie.. jmho

Play your best shot that works for your game to get back into the hole with the last strokes. Confidence is key. I agree with your instructor. Then hopefully pay the next few holes better.

Jeff
sent using tapatalk

Since I started playing again 3 years ago, I try to be more optimistic and patient than in in my younger, hot headed days. I try to look at it like this:

Average drive 250
Average top 75
Average drive - top 175 or 5 iron therefore...

Top plus 5 iron will put me in the same place as oob drive then good drive but with 1less stroke and less of a chance of redoing what you just did.

Gotta look at the bright side, at least it was in play, or else it could be a long round.

in that situation, I would want to erase the memory of the bad shot as quickly as possible, so I'd go to my most confident club that still gets me into play. Of course, lie and hazards are a consideration too. If I can play my favorite club and be set up to get to the green on the next shot, that's what I'll do every single time. Basically just like what the OP did.

So you topped your drive. What's next?

I topped a drive badly last summer and proceeded to make the next shot for an eagle (150 yrd 8 iron). It was on a drivable, for some, par 4 300 yds. Generally, I'm going to try to get as close as possible tho.

Back