Transition into new Irons

Sposey549

Golfaholic
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I have went from playing Adams CB3 irons to Mizuno MP-54 irons and I am having trouble with the transition. I've played 3 rounds with them and can not stop hitting then fat. The CB3 were hooking bad for me, but they had a longer shaft then my new Mizuno irons and trying to find the ball position with them or the mental part is just driving me crazy. Hopefully I can get my iron game back as this was my strong suit.

One ball forward of center. That's the ball position forward of center.

8egy9ume.jpg

go hit the range... Reps can do wonders for getting used to new clubs....

I'm doing that but I think it's a mental thing with the shorter shafts. I'm would bet I'm dropping my right shoulder during my down swing. It's just frustrating me. I just hope to get it squared away sooner than later.

I'm doing that but I think it's a mental thing with the shorter shafts. I'm would bet I'm dropping my right shoulder during my down swing. It's just frustrating me. I just hope to get it squared away sooner than later.

I agree that it is most likely mental. You wouldn't have a problem going from your 5i to your 7i in your previous set (I assume). The difference in those irons is most likely greater than the difference (1 to 1) from the old to the new set.

reps reps reps. I would hit the range. Once you flush them you will probably love them and all this stress will be forgotten.

Try this type of swing for a while until you find their alignment and sweet spot. This has saved my bacon a few times using rentals and etc when I was traveling and didn't have my bag.

Transition into new Irons

How does one "drop the right shoulder"? I have heard it before but have no idea what it really means

I called dropping my upper body down on the down swing dropping my shoulder. It's my shoulder that drops toward the ground.

I'm actually in the process of an iron change to Adams cb3's from an older set of Adams. Just like other have suggested lots of range sessions. I also drop my upper body down occasionally and it causes me to get really steep and come over the top.

I always tell myself that the body needs to move horizontally toward the target before anything else. It's a mental thought but it helps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'd start by bringing the club half way back then follow through half way until you start hitting it pure. Grip the club lightly to remove tension. Then gradually increase your swing. Works for me every time I get into a funk.

Update!! Went to the range today because I was so pissed at myself for playing so crappy. I took only my 6 and 9 iron with me. I got 2 large buckets of balls and was determined to get my iron play back. So my first 10 or so hits with my 9 and I fat shot like I did Saturday. I stepped back and thought I'm doing something different from my old Adams CB3 irons. So I set up just like I was swing my Adams 9 iron and took at smooth swing. Bam I was hitting great shots again. I was flipping my wrist, changing ball, positions, and mainly letting the mental of new clubs beat me. I did the same with my 6 iron and my iron game was back. Mental game is worse that trying to learn muscle memory.

Address your swing. It's definitely not the sweet CB3 irons you had. It's too bad you switched to a lesser iron set. I love my forged CB3s and have never had a problem hooking them but if I did I certainly wouldn't blame the sticks. Own the second shot!!!!!!!

^^^^^
Really? Are we going to go down this path again? Lesser equipment? Don't blame the sticks?

Apparently it's okay to put down the equipment on all brands except the one you are representing. Fwiw quite a few people did not care for the CB3 irons. And based on their time line and sales they were not alone.

If your goal (which appears to be the case) is to represent the brand this way, our partner in Adams should be concerned. More is said from the swing and a miss than the home run.

Update!! Went to the range today because I was so pissed at myself for playing so crappy. I took only my 6 and 9 iron with me. I got 2 large buckets of balls and was determined to get my iron play back. So my first 10 or so hits with my 9 and I fat shot like I did Saturday. I stepped back and thought I'm doing something different from my old Adams CB3 irons. So I set up just like I was swing my Adams 9 iron and took at smooth swing. Bam I was hitting great shots again. I was flipping my wrist, changing ball, positions, and mainly letting the mental of new clubs beat me. I did the same with my 6 iron and my iron game was back. Mental game is worse that trying to learn muscle memory.

Glad that you could get it turned around.

I'm of the mindset that there is a transition period with new clubs, particularly irons, and you need to get some swings in just to get comfortable with them. I suspect you'll get it straightened out completely sooner than later.

Back