Losing passion for the game

Toddo

Reaction score
Handicap
I thought with the weather finally becoming nice and all that I would be excited about this season, however golf is becoming more like work than fun. I practice alone and so far this season have played most of my rounds alone. I have spent time tinkering with a new driver and golf ball, but feel like I am losing distance and everything(just turned 50). Any suggestions for those of you who have gone through this? Thanks!

That's why I hate playing alone. Find people to play with! It will make the game more fun!

Hopefully it will pass Toddo, I went through something similar a few years ago and took a few weeks off, it was the best thing I've ever done golf wise and I found a renewed passion and I forgot about the things that were bothering me. Take a little time off and see if it helps buddy, I remember how frustrated and disappointed I was.

Definitely gotta play with some people. I have so much more fun when my normal partners are there.

Joining a local MGA (men's golf association) helped me a ton a couple of years back. being fortunate enough to be selected for a big THP event has helped lately with the desire to improve. Mine is the 2014 THPMC, but there are tons of events coming up as well!

Coming from someone who lost the love for the game in college and stopped playing for almost 10 years, you have to find what drives you to play the game. You seriously have to do some soul searching when talking about losing your passion for the game! I'm a strong believer if you're not playing this game for the love of playing it then you really think about taking a break or not playing at all. It was hard for me to pick up a club after 10 years knowing I was never going to be the player I once was, but I'll tell you I love it more now than I ever have in the past. So, I ask you to dig deep and ask yourself why you started playing and why you continued to play. Don't forget this is a game and you should be having fun with it! I'd love to help you through this time and help you find the reason you once loved to play, you haven't lost passion but you've forgot why you love it. Hope this helps a little but let me know if there's something I can do to help!

What about taking a break from your 'improvement/tinkering' rounds and playing in a few charity golf outings/tournaments instead? Outings where your individual performance isn't all that crucial, it's an event designed around participant enjoyment and yet you can still contribute more than your fair share of good shots all while maintaining a laissez faire attitude.

I thought with the weather finally becoming nice and all that I would be excited about this season, however golf is becoming more like work than fun. I practice alone and so far this season have played most of my rounds alone. I have spent time tinkering with a new driver and golf ball, but feel like I am losing distance and everything(just turned 50). Any suggestions for those of you who have gone through this? Thanks!

I just took up the game at 50, and I am getting better week by week, so don't even think being 50 is the reason. I pretty much practice alone, and enjoy the challenge. I have a 5 year plan, which takes pressure off and lets me accept that gradual improvement is how it works. Have a long term goal, work at it regularly, take lessons every once in a while, and enjoy the journey.

Look at it another way. Let's say you had an amazing round. Shot 68. Would you really be happy with that, or would you start thinking about tournaments, competitive golf, etc? And if you couldn't win at that level, would you still be disappointed? Again, enjoying the journey is the key.

Coming from someone who lost the love for the game in college and stopped playing for almost 10 years, you have to find what drives you to play the game. You seriously have to do some soul searching when talking about losing your passion for the game! I'm a strong believer if you're not playing this game for the love of playing it then you really think about taking a break or not playing at all. It was hard for me to pick up a club after 10 years knowing I was never going to be the player I once was, but I'll tell you I love it more now than I ever have in the past. So, I ask you to dig deep and ask yourself why you started playing and why you continued to play. Don't forget this is a game and you should be having fun with it! I'd love to help you through this time and help you find the reason you once loved to play, you haven't lost passion but you've forgot why you love it. Hope this helps a little but let me know if there's something I can do to help!
Thanks ForTheLov, I appreciate it. I want to find it again and the reason I have played for the most part since age 12. I think some of it is that I can't upgrade to the "latest and greatest", not that I totally want to, but I have been thinking of changing brands or now that I am 50, I can tell the swing is slower and I don't get the distance that I did even two years ago...I don't want to give it up as it is about my only hobby and thing I look forward to when not working...

Thanks ForTheLov, I appreciate it. I want to find it again and the reason I have played for the most part since age 12. I think some of it is that I can't upgrade to the "latest and greatest", not that I totally want to, but I have been thinking of changing brands or now that I am 50, I can tell the swing is slower and I don't get the distance that I did even two years ago...I don't want to give it up as it is about my only hobby and thing I look forward to when not working...

I know the temptation to get the newest and greatest clubs is something well all wish we could do but most of us just can't afford to do so. The distance might be because you're losing club head speed for one reason or another. I don't know a lot about you so I don't know what it may be. Maybe just getting fit for newer shafts or a different ball to help with the swing speed changes can help. There are so many ways to help gain your distance back, even buying some kind of golf DVD workout like Joey D or Kai fitness can help with your flexibility and get the power where it needs to go.

Last year THP and my neighborhood golf league really kick started my love for the game. I play a lone a lot too and understand that it can get lonely. Keep your head up and find a buddy to play with!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Are you losing passion for the game or just sad about the effects of age? Father time is inevitable but its effects can be delayed via fitness, especially stretching. I do agree with the point made by another about finding what motivates you and addressing it.

THP Events always bring my passion back.

That is definitely true.

I agree playing by yourself can get complacent and lead to lack if focus. Try to find a men's group to get out with. Good luck Toddo...the good thing you are in a place right now where there are THPers spread across the map.

I have felt just like you lately. Just not feeling the love and I think some physical issues that come with age has taken it's toll. I don't hit the ball near as far as I did three years ago when I was 60. You look on TV at the Champions Tour and guys like Hale Irwin can still move it out there however those guys are blessed with a different set of skills. I know my passion is still there I just have to take time off now and then to fire the ole kettle back up :thumb:

Hopefully it will pass Toddo, I went through something similar a few years ago and took a few weeks off, it was the best thing I've ever done golf wise and I found a renewed passion and I forgot about the things that were bothering me. Take a little time off and see if it helps buddy, I remember how frustrated and disappointed I was.

Time off does wonders and why play if ya miserable. :confused2:

Are you losing passion for the game or just sad about the effects of age? Father time is inevitable but its effects can be delayed via fitness, especially stretching. I do agree with the point made by another about finding what motivates you and addressing it.

We are in the process of moving and will join a gym in our new location asap. You're right being physically fit for your age does wonders for your mental and physical golf game.

My first THP was an eye opener. So many great people getting together to celebrate the game with all love. Awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Toddo, man don't let 50 get you down, I'll be turning 60 next year and dealing with 5 bulging disc. I'm going to keep after it and one of my golf buddies is 76 and he really gives new meaning to staying active. Like others said, find someone to play with and enjoy it, play scrambles too.

Same here, I just don't really have a want to play that much anymore. It's not that I don't like playing, it's just that I don't get the pleasure of doing the same thing over and over.

Yeah, I went through something similar about 3 years ago. I was getting way too serious about fundamentals and started struggling with my game. It's not that I lost the passion but I didn't enjoy it as much. I went from playing 30 or so rounds a year (for 4 years) down to less than a dozen each in 2011 & 2012. I think I went "all in" too fast, b/c I get quite competitive with myself in regards to sports. While I tend to play 50/50 single vs. group golf rounds, this really didn't seem to be the issue. I just needed to "REBOOT" and get a different mindset about playing. I.E, "just have fun" and not focus on imperfections here and there. Now I'm finally loving the game again.
Hopefully things work out for you. Maybe time off will serve you well. Remember, golf is a life-long sport...

Pick up the book "Fix your body, Fix your swing". I have had 4 surgeries in the last 2.5 years and just turned 49. The book identifies where your body is weak and not flexible and designs a exercise routine to fix it. I have picked up 15 yards off the tee and playing some of the best golf of my life. 50 is not old!!

Luckily for me most of my rounds I play with my brother or good buddies but I can see how playing alone would suck my be you can hook up with some local THP members

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joining a local MGA (men's golf association) helped me a ton a couple of years back. being fortunate enough to be selected for a big THP event has helped lately with the desire to improve. Mine is the 2014 THPMC, but there are tons of events coming up as well!

^^^^^
THIS

This would definitely get your juices flowing again Toddo. If you can't make an official event, there may be some THPers near you in Ky that you can tee it up with. THPers are always ready for local rounds with other THPers..

Back