TaylorMade SLDR Irons Preview

GREAT looking irons. Can't wait to hear your thoughts ddec !

Why do all of the slides have comparisons with the R11 irons and not something like the Rocketbladez or Speedbladez?

Why do all of the slides have comparisons with the R11 irons and not something like the Rocketbladez or Speedbladez?

Because the profile is more like the R11's than the Bladez or Blades, from what I understand also the Blades are going nowhere (i.e. not leaving the lineup).

The oldest line in a new equipment thread:

I need to see these live :)

I'm definitely a players iron fan, but consistency, distance & forgiveness are facts that should always be considered. If here's a package that can deliver players look and all the rest. I'm sold.

Same reason Apex did not do it in the X2H.

The apex and the x2hot look nothing alike IMO. Compare those pictures to the MCs and tell me they don't look the exact same? Aside from the graphics..

I have my opinions and others have their own. It is what it is

Because the profile is more like the R11's than the Bladez or Blades, from what I understand also the Blades are going nowhere (i.e. not leaving the lineup).

Gotcha - makes sense then if they were talking about it from a performance vs footprint type of thing

There was a slide in the Live Update thread showing the SLDR S, the SpeedBlade, and the R11 and how they compare more directly to the R11 with the new slot.

Taylormade just complicated life for me.

The apex and the x2hot look nothing alike IMO. Compare those pictures to the MCs and tell me they don't look the exact same? Aside from the graphics..

I have my opinions and others have their own. It is what it is

I was referring to top line, sole size, etc.
The goal is to create a players' style iron that offers great distance via launching high, so they can reduce the loft.
To me this is very similar to what Callaway did with the Apex. Its a very sound strategy as more golfers are looking for that blend between performance and forgiveness.

I wonder how these will blend with my MC tinking maybe a 5 iron SLDR and a 6 iron CB

These look awesome.. Anyone interested in a slightly used set of SpeedBlades? ?

Interesting how TM has brought it back to a similar lineup as 2011: 3 TP models, the most forgiving model (Speedblade vs Burner 2.0) and the tweener model (R11 vs SLDR). Given that I really liked the R11 irons, I want to try these irons out. Ddec, really looking forward to your feedback on these.

I was referring to top line, sole size, etc.
The goal is to create a players' style iron that offers great distance via launching high, so they can reduce the loft.
To me this is very similar to what Callaway did with the Apex. Its a very sound strategy as more golfers are looking for that blend between performance and forgiveness.

Fair enough. I see your point as well. Obviously I will need to hit these and see, but if they are anything like the apex they will be winners

These look awesome.. Anyone interested in a slightly used set of SpeedBlades? ?

Or a set of CB's with one round on them. I kid I kid.

Looks like a solid offering. Interesting stock shaft choice IMO compared to similar irons already on the market.

Interesting how TM has brought it back to a similar lineup as 2011: 3 TP models, the most forgiving model (Speedblade vs Burner 2.0) and the tweener model (R11 vs SLDR). Given that I really liked the R11 irons, I want to try these irons out. Ddec, really looking forward to your feedback on these.

The parallel is really interesting...but they get a pass from me because I love the attempts at tweener models.

What a nice looking set of irons! On aesthetics only, I'd give them a 10, they're gorgeous.

Sharp looking irons there. The slot tech is intriguing. These sound like they could be a really nice set of irons.

never been a Taylormade iron guy, but these are looking like the best i have seen that i could game.

TaylorMade SLDR Irons Preview

I really like everything I'm hearing about these. I'll be trying them out for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Great lookimg irons here.

Loft info that I saw on Twitter:
3-19, 4-21, 5-24, 6-28, 7-32, 8-36, 9-41, PW-46, AW-51, SW-56.

Slightly weaker lofts all around from the Speedblades. The lofts are the same as the CB in 9-AW, just slightly stronger in 5-8 (1/2 degree), same in 4i, 1 degree weaker in 3i. Offset numbers are just slightly higher in these irons as compared to the CB irons.

Loft info that I saw on Twitter:
3-19, 4-21, 5-24, 6-28, 7-32, 8-36, 9-41, PW-46, AW-51, SW-56.

Slightly weaker lofts all around from the Speedblades. The lofts are the same as the CB in 9-AW, just slightly stronger in 5-8 (1/2 degree), same in 4i, 1 degree weaker in 3i. Offset numbers are just slightly higher in these irons as compared to the CB irons.

Seems like rather tight spacing in the 3-6 i wonder if it is to keep the ball flight in check

Seems like rather tight spacing in the 3-6 i wonder if it is to keep the ball flight in check

Those are pretty standard loft ranges for this type of club...identical lofts as the R11 irons 3-8, 1 degree weaker on the 9-SW.

SpeedBlades are 3 (17), 4 (20), 5 (23), 6 (26.5)...RocketBlades were 3 (18), 4 (20), 5 (23), 6 (26.5)...had those numbers in a spreadsheet for some reason.

Back