How many play a driver shorter than 45"?

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just curious to see how many of you play a shorter than today's standard 45-46" driver. I have always had better contact and distance with a 44.5" or shorter driver which can't be bought off the shelf anymore. How many of you have to take your new driver, chop it off, and add weight to the head when they buy them like I do? Does it annoy you that you have to add lead tape or order heavier screw in weights for you driver?

Last edited:
44.25 for me

44.5 for me, I've never added tape or ordered heavier screws until I put a new adapter on one of my shafts at which point I added a 6g weight to the tip.

I play at 45". But have never thought about swing weights. I'm not sensitive enough to feel the difference between D4 versus D2

Good question. I also do better with shorter drivers. I use a ten finger grip instead of overlapping, so I effectively lose 2" of length, based on how far down my right hand is. My current driver is 45", so that is like a 43" driver to me. I wonder if that drops the swing weight just like cutting it down would.

Well if you've got a +.5 handicap, I might shorten mine if it helps me get closer to that lol

Yes. I typically play between 44.5" and 44.75".
I used to not pay much attention to driver length until I got a club re-shafted years back and they left it at 45.5". That was a nightmare until I figured out what was wrong. Since then I always make sure the length is correct for me. Plus I now install my own shafts so I know it's all good.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I just choke down an inch on tighter holes. When I need a few extra yards I use the full 45.5 inches. Works fine for me. I will add that I typically don't lose any distance when I choke down an inch. Probably because of making better contact.

I play my driver at 44.5. I wish there were more stock options for shorter and heavier. I know light and long can lead to more potential distance, but I get much better, more consistent results the other way.

I used to play my RAZR Fit at 44.25 but now play my Big Bertha at 45.5

45 for me

not for me. I'm playing 45.25" and I already feel like I have to bend too far over. One fitter told me I should be playing 46.5" and one said he never extends drivers. keeping it as-is until I visit club champion. it's working, if a bit uncomfortable

I play my driver at 44.5. I wish there were more stock options for shorter and heavier. I know light and long can lead to more potential distance, but I get much better, more consistent results the other way.

Same results for me. I also like a slightly heavier swing weight than standard so all my drivers have lead tape or if I have the option, Heavier weight screws.

My XCG7 Beta comes in at 44.75"

Never at that number, have had one 5 above that for a certain event, but 45.5 seems to be good for me. Pole Vaulting for way too many years may have something to do with it. Have had them down to 44, but didn't really notice a difference in contact.

Same results for me. I also like a slightly heavier swing weight than standard so all my drivers have lead tape or if I have the option, Heavier weight screws.

I find that club head speed really doesn't suffer with a heavier shaft.

44.5" works like a charm compared to the previous 45" & 46".

Playing at 44" with a D4 swingweight.

I'm at 45.25" right now, going to shave off 0.5" soon :)

44.25. Really felt that I am hitting it better when I had the shaft shortened.

44.5 for me too, it's stock from the OEM that way with nothing else, bone stock.

44.5 for me as well. I feel like that length gives me a good bit of control.

I play right at 45" and love it. Never been striking the ball more consistently than I am now with the driver.

Play mine at 45". Have tried 44.5" a couple of times on different drivers and just never agreed with me.

I'm currently playing a 45.75 right now. It is something I've wondered about though. When I had my fitting the fitter didn't mention anything though about going shorter.

Using Tapatalk

Back