TaylorMade SLDR S Metalwoods Preview

I was just on TM's site and there is an option for an 18° in the drop down menu.

I was just on TM's site and there is an option for an 18° in the drop down menu.

got to be a mistake or it will be like the 14* SLDR and come later perhaps

This is something that always intrigues me. The golfers that talk about strugging with a driver where too much face is visible. How do they hit a fairway wood?

For the first time yesterday I really thought about throwing in a high lofted driver and a shorter shaft. I mean that 14 or 16 degree with a shaft that is fw length could be a great stick for those tight par 4s. Push come to shove I'm not sure if I would really do it, but hitting the 16 made me think of it.

got to be a mistake or it will be like the 14* SLDR and come later perhaps

That's kind of what I thought as well. It seems odd that they wouldn't have mentioned it yesterday, probably just a mistake.

For the first time yesterday I really thought about throwing in a high lofted driver and a shorter shaft. I mean that 14 or 16 degree with a shaft that is fw length could be a great stick for those tight par 4s. Push come to shove I'm not sure if I would really do it, but hitting the 16 made me think of it.

I guess that is kind of the idea with the mini driver

Interesting to see them going with bonded shafts for these. Kind of works out for me as it's one less thing I need to tinker with.

Interesting to see them going with bonded shafts for these. Kind of works out for me as it's one less thing I need to tinker with.

I have mine set at Neutral since day one the only thing i like is the ability to change out shafts but other wise bonded would be fine with me

I wonder if it being bonded is going to hurt them. So much marketing by many oem's has been about adjustability and getting dialed in. I wonder if the consumers are going to feel like they are missing out on something or getting an inferior option.

I wonder if it being bonded is going to hurt them. So much marketing by many oem's has been about adjustability and getting dialed in. I wonder if the consumers are going to feel like they are missing out on something or getting an inferior option.

I'm excited, at least in the fairways and hybrids. I would rather the weight be used in the head rather than accommodating an adjustable hosel I will quite frankly never use.

I don't think it will hurt them in the fairway and hybrid area. In the driver it might. If you look at TMs alternate driver option the last few years, like JetSpeed, RBZ, Stage 2, those have all been at that same area in price and offered the hosel adjustability. The interesting thing that they brought up in the presentation was that the percentage of people adjusted the SLDR 1+ times was higher than with their previous offerings. Perhaps because it was more simple? Don't really know the reasoning for those #s.

I don't think it will hurt them in the fairway and hybrid area. In the driver it might. If you look at TMs alternate driver option the last few years, like JetSpeed, RBZ, Stage 2, those have all been at that same area in price and offered the hosel adjustability. The interesting thing that they brought up in the presentation was that the percentage of people adjusted the SLDR 1+ times was higher than with their previous offerings. Perhaps because it was more simple? Don't really know the reasoning for those #s.

This is going to sound harsh, but so be it. If I was guessing, it was desparation after a few rounds of 3/14 fairways.

This is going to sound harsh, but so be it. If I was guessing, it was desparation after a few rounds of 3/14 fairways.

Doesn't sound harsh to me. Sounds logical.

The reason I adjusted mine more than once was trying to find a fairway. I finally gave up and went back to my R11s that was adjusted once. I recently pulled my SLDR out of the garage to give a one more go and immediately after the round put the R11s back in the bag. Not really feeling confident that they fixed the forgiveness on the SLDR S so I may be jumping ship...with the driver at least.

The reason I adjusted mine more than once was trying to find a fairway. I finally gave up and went back to my R11s that was adjusted once. I recently pulled my SLDR out of the garage to give a one more go and immediately after the round put the R11s back in the bag. Not really feeling confident that they fixed the forgiveness on the SLDR S so I may be jumping ship...with the driver at least.

I don't think you are going to see a difference in forgiveness with the s model

Man can't wait to try these guys out this morning. Hopefully I will be hitting them better than the original SLDR.

Man can't wait to try these guys out this morning. Hopefully I will be hitting them better than the original SLDR.

Looking forward to your thoughts on how they compare.

Hit the driver today before the round and gotta say I like this better than the original SLDR. For me it was a low spinner after seeing around 2000rpm on the launch monitor. Felt solid though and if adjusted correctly to me this could be a great driver. Gotta say Parshooter36 I would defiantly recommend this guy for ya.

TaylorMade SLDR S Metalwoods Preview

Also hit this driver today. Good shots were about 2200-2500 rpm and about 252-255 carry. The one I addressed and hit off the toe carried 232, but also had 1400 spin.

I'm guessing that might be half the problem people have. It's so low spin that when you don't catch it, you just hit a sad little knuckleball

Last edited:
So I hit the SLDR S today a few times and I was seeing lower spin. Granted my driver was far from being anything special today. The matted look is pleasing to the eye at setup.

It felt the same as the SLDR to me.
Driver anyway. Got very similar results.
The irons felt pretty good to me. The glare off the toe was a bit much at times, only because I am used to a satin finish, but I think these will fall in line with what some are looking for.

So on the launch monitor today on the range I struggled with this one a bit. I was hitting it well, but with 6 balls with this and my current driver I was on average a LOT longer in terms of carry distance with my current driver. According to mikedean who was next to me, it was "not even close" and the numbers supported that.

I'm sure a proper fitting might change that ball flight a bit. Maybe.

So on the launch monitor today on the range I struggled with this one a bit. I was hitting it well, but with 6 balls with this and my current driver I was on average a LOT longer in terms of carry distance with my current driver. According to mikedean who was next to me, it was "not even close" and the numbers supported that.

I'm sure a proper fitting might change that ball flight a bit. Maybe.

Maybe. The gamer in its current setup you were hitting pretty well. I don't think you're gonna get a better blend of distance of forgiveness.

Also, that LZ shaft is uhh, really really smooth

Also hit this driver today. Good shots were about 2200-2500 rpm and about 252-255 carry. The one I addressed and hit off the toe carried 232, but also had 1400 spin.

I'm guessing that might be half the problem people have. It's so low spin that when you don't catch it, you just hit a sad little knuckleball

How did those good ones compare to your regular gamer?

Back