TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

Going to see if I can get to PGA Ss to hit one.

Tap Tap Taparoo

I hit this with a stock stiff on Friday. I like it. Didn't love it. My world was unshaken. But that doesn't mean it was a bad club. Just that It didn't make me have to have it.

Also, I do not believe there was much lateral forgiveness.

Impressed by the mixed results about the club posted on this topic. Totally different vibe when reading the Deep series thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impressed by the mixed results about the club posted on this topic. Totally different vibe when reading the Deep series thread

Not from me. My thoughts are the same, although I do find the Deep series a bit more versatile.

Not from me. My thoughts are the same, although I do find the Deep series a bit more versatile.

I took 2 swings on the course with the 12 and hit both well. However messing with the 14 on the range I saw mixed results. I do like how it sets up to the ball. Did not attempt to hit it off the turf.

JB: Unrelated to some of the recent posts, but how would you compare this with the Cobra LT 2w? I know that club was a joke to many people, but I actually hit it really well off of a short tee (could do nothing with it off the deck).

- The LT2W was 240 CC (I believe), 12.5 degrees of loft, with a 45 inch (when stock) shaft and had a titanium face. I never got verification but think it was pretty much max COR.
- The Mini-SLDR is 260 CC, 12 or 14 degrees of loft, with a 43.5 inch shaft, and a hot steel face. This is what many cut their LT2Ws down to length wise.

It seems like they'd play pretty similarly. I'm curious if the LT2W is inherently more forgiving due to the head design or higher launching due to the shaft selection.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a high handicap hack and thus not the target market. Having said that, the mini driver is the first TM project to really interest me in some time.

I'm hoping there very similar. I use the LT2W as my driver, and pass most people with all the latest drivers. I just ordered my SLDR MD and I'm excited about putting it through its paces. I just hit smaller headed woods better. I will be hitting it off the deck just like my LT2W, so it fills two gaps in the bag and allows for versatility in my bag.

For some reason I think a 16* Mini could really fill a gap in my bag, I'm just not sure when I'd pull it vs my driver, I hope the TM rep has one at demo day on friday so I can try it off the tee and the turf.

I was at the shop fondling the 2 deep and 5 deep I'm pondering right now when my friend suggested I look at the mini. I found a 12* with a stiff shaft and we slapped some tape on the sole and impact tape on the face and.. OH MY GOD!! This club is awesome! I'm going to have to rethink my whole worldview.

It's so easy to swing, and the ball flight was so high and straight! And I love that it doesn't have that slidey weight thingy. I don't like cleaning grass and dirt out of the technology on the bottom of my driver.

Are there many people using this instead of a driver? Or is it more of a 3 wood replacement for you lot? Or is it more in that niche market of people who want Phil Mickelson Phrankenwood type clubs and just find a way to fit them in?

Because I want one of these really badly all of a sudden and it doesn't even matter if it doesn't fit into the golf bag. I just want to own one, we could just stare into each others eyes forever...

I think it's more of a niche product right now.

But i am fighting my inner voice telling me to get a 16* since i use my three wood more off the tee than the deck

But i am fighting my inner voice telling me to get a 16* since i use my three wood more off the tee than the deck

Hate to give that inner voice more ammunition but imagine how good it would look next to all the other SLDRs in your bag!

Hate to give that inner voice more ammunition but imagine how good it would look next to all the other SLDRs in your bag!

It would be taking the place of my 3w which is already an SLDR but it would still look great

I was at the shop fondling the 2 deep and 5 deep I'm pondering right now when my friend suggested I look at the mini. I found a 12* with a stiff shaft and we slapped some tape on the sole and impact tape on the face and.. OH MY GOD!! This club is awesome! I'm going to have to rethink my whole worldview.

It's so easy to swing, and the ball flight was so high and straight! And I love that it doesn't have that slidey weight thingy. I don't like cleaning grass and dirt out of the technology on the bottom of my driver.

Are there many people using this instead of a driver? Or is it more of a 3 wood replacement for you lot? Or is it more in that niche market of people who want Phil Mickelson Phrankenwood type clubs and just find a way to fit them in?

Because I want one of these really badly all of a sudden and it doesn't even matter if it doesn't fit into the golf bag. I just want to own one, we could just stare into each others eyes forever...

I would suggest you hit the 2-Deep and compare the two. The 2-Deep performed better for me at a demo day a few weeks back, but the mini driver is a solid choice although for me the 14° might be a better choice.

I have not hit it yet who easy is it to launch from the deck?

I would suggest you hit the 2-Deep and compare the two. The 2-Deep performed better for me at a demo day a few weeks back, but the mini driver is a solid choice although for me the 14° might be a better choice.

I will do exactly that, I had to leave the shop before I did anything stupid. Now I'm home and I can read up on everything. Tomorrow I will hit both side by side and see if I can find something that will help me get through this fight me and my driver are having. Thanks for the advice!

What do you think has to be improved on for it to fit into more people's bags?

I saw this today and I thinks I need to hit it. Head shape is not what I expected but not off putting

Was in a shop today, we're not getting to see it until end of next week at the soonest. :(

They also had just one Big Bertha Alpha, need to find a better shop!

Unless is used as a driver replacement i dont see the use of the 12 degree mini.

Unless is used as a driver replacement i dont see the use of the 12 degree mini.

I just bought one to replace my 3 wood which I only used off the tee, it was an xhot 3 deep and it was hard to replace because I have found so many fairways with it. I tried the x2 hot 2 deep alongside the SLDR mini extensively inside and outside and then inside after it got dark on the launch monitor and the results were clear. Time to change my sig, time to change my whole view of Taylormade SLDR. Time to start pondering the driver.

Hit the 14° today after my lesson. Was nothing like what I expected in the looks department of the face. I immediately wanted to hit it off the deck. Didn't flight as high as I thought it would, but it was up there. I could see this as a FW replacement, but not driver imo. Would really like to see this launch angle out doors.

I just bought one to replace my 3 wood which I only used off the tee, it was an xhot 3 deep and it was hard to replace because I have found so many fairways with it. I tried the x2 hot 2 deep alongside the SLDR mini extensively inside and outside and then inside after it got dark on the launch monitor and the results were clear. Time to change my sig, time to change my whole view of Taylormade SLDR. Time to start pondering the driver.

How do you compare the 2deep vs the mini?

How do you compare the 2deep vs the mini?

It's hard for me to make comparisons that would be relevant to other people because of my current lack of skill but I can certainly give you my thoughts. I cannot explain why the SLDR felt better than the 2deep in my hands but it did. I don't know if the weight of the clubs are different but the weight certainly is distributed differently and it is noticeable. Something about the SLDR felt lighter or just easier to swing, honestly it's hard to put into words. Maybe it was just looking down at it at address inspired confidence and I was swinging it smoother than the 2deep.

I like both clubs a lot but I had my best ever shot with a fairway wood today about 50 times and the vast majority of them with the SLDR. I actually ended up going with the 5deep as well today to have something to use out of the fairway if I want to run it up past my 23* hybrid distance. Out of all of them I hit the 5deep the best off the deck.

I don't remember the longest one I had but it was a new personal best. The fitter took a picture of the screen, I'll get him to text it to me so I can post it.

Ok I hope you can see this but the first two were with the 2deep and the last two with the SLDR. It was the end of a long day and at this point I was just doing a few swings with each and looking at numbers. Then I caught one so we took this picture. I have never carried anything but driver 223 yards and this thing is set to sea level and I play at 2000ft elevation. I confirmed these results outside going for a target about 230 away, it's the target I usually aim for when practicing with my driver. Today this thing was flying almost as far as my i25 driver because it was going so much straighter.

By the way I promise I didn't cherry pick between shots, these were four consecutive swings, the second one was so terrible I switched back the the SLDR because that was the club I was liking the best after a long and thorough test.

a5etamur.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can see now that it is impossible to see the numbers in the picture so I just look like a rambling fool. I give up on uploading pictures.

Last edited:
Hmm is this like a deep faced FW?

Back