What inspires you?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What inspires you to either play the game or be the best at it you can be?

Golf, for me, is a way to train for other things in my life.

I have a pretty awesome/brutal career that plays out much more like an 18 hole scorecard (where focus and acceptance and strategy all affect the outcome) more than like a basketball game with a buzzer. And it's not just the scorecard approach, but also the need to be a craftsman and to do even small things exceptionally well and consistently in the face of expectations and pressure.

Seeing the great players and amateurs--both--who struggle to master the mental and physical parts of the game and take that into a long and brutal scorecard kind of process constantly inspires me. I love watching competitors in the PGA tournaments. And I love watching guys spend time on the range and the chipping greens.

It doesn't just inspire me, it deeply inspires me and I think has protected me from burnout several times in my career, even in the midst of periods of 80-100 hour weeks.

The challenge makes me wanna play. This game is hard and I freaking love it. I used to play poker for the competition instead of for the money (crazy, I know). I do not practice. I will not practice. I have a limited amount of time and use that to play, to hang with friends, and to, hopefully, get better. I'm fairly athletic, cocky, and possibly stupid but I believe I can consistently shoot in the high 70s or low 80s, and be perfectly happy, without practice. When I get there I don't know what the next step is...

Playing for a team instead of just my score card.

Matt Kuchar after all the near wins pulling through the other week was awesome.

JB Holmes return from Brain surgery.

Wounded warriors golf.

All on different levels.

Personal drive, and dedication is a bit of a canned answer, but it's true. Historically I've been very hard on myself with everything I've done. My brothers here on THP make me work my backside off to be the best I can. The other thing is wanting to be accountable to a handicap number.

Golf to me is addicting. its that simple. Its myself against the course and to better my best. I don't care what anybody else does or how they play or by what rules. my own game plan for every hole. My own choices, my own accountability for all my actions. It doesn't involve anyone else. Me myself and I. There is something about striking a tiny ball and watching it go where you wanted it to. The sound , the flight, the end result is all self rewarding when it works :). It doesn't always work :( but its the good ones that keep one motivated imo :)

Trying to find my own perfection in a game that will never allow it.

I've come to realize that I have some talent in playing golf. I'm not a great player, and I'm not sure that I ever will be. But, I know that I can only get better through hard work. Knowing that there is a better version of me out there is what keeps me practicing. I keep playing because I enjoy it.

There is something about this sport, everyone wants to be good at it, and golf is one of those sports that sticks with you throughout life, unlike other sports. I guess i am inspired by the possibility of playing a sport that will always be there.

I like to have fun. I find golf to be fun regardless of my score. So I play because it's fun.

A milestone or event to work towards.

I'm addicted to it. I love the challenge it brings and having a handicap shows me my progress. Also, I just plain love the game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

For me golf is like anything really hard. Initially you aren't sure you can do it, and then one day, with a lot of dedication and determination you find that you were able to do it. It's the challenge and your ability to overcome it that makes it worth while.

Besides, it's a lot safer than climbing Everest.

The ups and downs of golf inspire me. Seeing what I can do and seeing how much work I need at the same time. I have rounds where I play great but remember the few bad shots and have rounds where I play horrible but remember the few good shots. Also playing with good players makes me want to get better and playing with worse golfers makes me realize how far I have come and reassure them that with practice things will get better. Golf is a funny game, perfection never happens but we all work towards it.

Great question Marc. The answer is pretty simple for me. No matter how good I get, no matter how much I practice I will always be able to get better. Golf is really kinda my drug. I get a high from being able to pull off the shots I envisioned and it's a high I'm always chasing really.

I have always been mostly self motivated but since #TheKing I am searching for motivation and hoping I find it.

I love the answers so far everyone. Like you I am driven, driven from he inside out to be the best I can and really want to see just how good the game can get for me. I enjoyed reading this first thing this morning.

Its the opportunity to be outdoors, walking on grass, navigating through trees and sand, trying to coerce a little white ball to go into a little round cup. There is no "fail," as eventually the ball WILL go into the cup - my job is to get it there in as few strokes as possible, while avoiding all the obstacles put there to make that effort more difficult.

Equally important, I get to spend a few hours with good friends, swap stories, and enjoy being healthy enough to do it.

Really good question, Trout. I'm completely addicted right now. I'm always wanting to improve and get better. I don't want to be average. I want to be good. This game is so much fun and satisfying and as soon as I'm done with a round, I'm already looking forward to the next round.

As you get older and retire you have to have something to keep you moving along in life. I don't fish, hunt, do woodwork, or any other hobby that would get me out of the house. I do take long walks however I need more in my life than walking as a hobby. I have always been involved in sports from age six up until I left for Vietnam. Sports is in my blood. I can't participate in other sports because of a few surgeries I have had to deal with. Golf is easily the hardest and worse for me skill wise that I have participated in. Being a pretty good athlete you would think I would excel at this game but it has always been tough for me. I get down on myself at times because I did so well in all the other sports. Golf is the only thing that I can participate in so I try to make the best of it. When I was younger, I was so excited to get out and play the game with no expectations. Lately I have almost had to force myself to the course at times.

I'm inspired to play golf as a game and not fight it any longer. I'm inspire to have fun and enjoy the many friendships I've made in this game. I'm inspired to let go live and enjoy the positives and overlook the negatives!

My inspiration comes from two places..... I play with alot of high quality golfers and their talent inspires me to be the best I can be. I dont mind getting a few shots on occasion but I am constantly wantign to clsoe that gap and give it my all.

My other is coming back from a life altering and almost life ending injury to try to be the golfer I was before all of that happened. I know it is a long process but with the right game plan in place I will get there

The simple answer is, I love playing golf. I love hitting balls at the range, I love putting practice, and I love every minute I'm out there. It's relaxing and peaceful to me when I'm playing or practicing, and it's an escape from other crap I have to worry about in my everyday life and my job. What drives me to be better is that a) I never half a$$ anything and b) I actually feel like I have some potential that I haven't realized. I don't think I have what it takes to ever be a really "great" player, but I think and hope I can at least get to low single digits eventually.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Just the internal drive perfection

Representing something bigger than myself.

Back