How deep is your rough?

greggdrews

Reaction score
Handicap
6 putts
I've been thinking about FIR and how important it is at my local course. For my regular course the rough isn't horrible so in a lot of ways the rough doesn't hurt my shot as much as the trees. There is a difference between the fairway and rough for sure but if I have a clear shot to the green it doesn't effect my shot too much besides maybe going up a club. Now when I went to Pine Lakes (Hubbard, OH) last fall and for a THP get together I felt the rough was deep. Not unreasonable, but deeper than I was used to.

So how deep of rough do you play out of? Does it hinder your game that much?

depends on the course my home course it is only a 1-2 in others i have played are way worse and in the winter it tends to get a little longer

I will have to take a pic of the rough for this thread on Monday. Gnarly is the word to describe it.

Courses around me vary from short to medium. Not too punishing. Most severe I've ever played were the championship courses of royal St George's in south uk and Carnoustie in Scotland. Wrist breakers...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Depends on the time of year and what kind of tournaments the course is preparing for. Ranges from virtually non-existent in the winter to very tough in the peak summer grass growing season.

It depends on the course. Most don't keep that high this time of year in flea but as the summer creeps in it will become challenging

My course keeps it about 1.5 inches. Now, what we saw at the Hideaway, that stuff was thick, lush, deep, and your ball was going nowhere but left. I loved it as it put a premium on fairways.

At the course I play it is terrible. It is a ball eater.

Usually not too bad, but usually in April and early May everywhere is letting it grow and its BRUTAL

Usually not too bad, but usually in April and early May everywhere is letting it grow and its BRUTAL

Yep. We had to step on balls to find them last night. Every hole someone is saying "it stopped right here!" And most of it looked like it had been mowed recently. Just super thick and a little higher than normal. It really helps the roots develop, sure makes it hard to find balls just off the fairway.

As been said. Time of year and also if any big events are comming. But in general right now early spring is ok enough to just club one downat most if that but come June, July it gets tough especially if it rains a lot and it does get to a point wherre finding balls becomes a chore and getting out requires a pw or something just to get it out and up the fairway a bit but taking an approach shot unless its a shorter one is not usually a good choice nor too doable unless one is a much better golfer. Then about second half of august it starts to thin out again as well as a lot of everything course wise starts to dry up and stres out having endured the affects of summer but that also can change if rain is abundant enough.

its pretty rough yesterday probably 2+ inches but i dont mind it too much with the short clubs but the longer ones it can be a problem.

Usually it seems to be an inch or 2 at most higher then the fairway cut at my home course with a few places taller around the greens. Though I've seen them let it grow out to be formidable around the Majors time.

But normally it's not too bad. I'm more worried about trees, water and sand then hitting it in the rough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about FIR and how important it is at my local course. For my regular course the rough isn't horrible so in a lot of ways the rough doesn't hurt my shot as much as the trees. There is a difference between the fairway and rough for sure but if I have a clear shot to the green it doesn't effect my shot too much besides maybe going up a club. Now when I went to Pine Lakes (Hubbard, OH) last fall and for a THP get together I felt the rough was deep. Not unreasonable, but deeper than I was used to.

So how deep of rough do you play out of? Does it hinder your game that much?

The first cut is deep enough to affect your shot, but not so deep that it's a problem with pace of play or lost balls. The native rough is another story. That can be 3 feet tall and a ball hit into it is guaranteed unplayable during most of the season even if you manage to find the ball. This is the native rough:

Staninrough2.jpg

At my home course the rough is long and sticky, and seems to stay wet forever. Many a ball has been lost just off the fairway and it takes a Tiger-esque swipe just to get the ball out.
A few of us THPers played there recently and the rough was a source of frustration for everyone by the end.

Not very deep at all. Stay out of the trees and you're just fine.

The rough here can get pretty deep in the middle of the week, which is when I play the most. I guess they just let it grow more during the week, and then have it in better shape for the weekend. I wonder if there is some sort of standard for length.

Yep. We had to step on balls to find them last night. Every hole someone is saying "it stopped right here!" And most of it looked like it had been mowed recently. Just super thick and a little higher than normal. It really helps the roots develop, sure makes it hard to find balls just off the fairway.

Pretty much this, but it usually creeps into June here. Once the rain settles down it's not so bad. Late season they mow it short.

Right now, not bad at all. But they're going to let it grow out, if it was like last year it was very tall. Lose your ball tall.

~Don't practice til you get it right, Practice til you can't get it wrong~

The course that I play my Thursday night golf league rounds is a links style course. The rough itself isn't bad, there just isn't much of it. The majority of the holes are fairway and fescue. Hitting out of the fescue...? If you can even find it.

This time of year there still has not been enough grass growth for our rough to be super thick. Around July though they will have it about 2" or so off the fairways and around the greens

Right now rough here is short and not terrible.

Here in the next few weeks though it will get long thick and gnarly.

EVERY time I read this thread title, my mind goes straight here:

Spoiler

I blame it on overworking.

EVERY time I read this thread title, my mind goes straight here:

Spoiler

I blame it on overworking.

You beat me to it...this is the first thing that came to my mind too! Damn song will be in my head all day now...great

At the course I play it is terrible. It is a ball eater.

The course I played at last year was like this. It was a crapshoot as to whether you would find your ball or not. Even just a few feet off of the fairway was rediculous. I don't even want to think about the number of balls I lost out there last summer!

Back