would you ever rather have a greenside chip vs a long putt

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was thinking about the very short game and putting. For this conversation short means "close to the green", greenside chips or pitches. Many of you here have a real good greenside game but may be not as good a putting game or its just not working that day. Even one who is good overall with everything can struggle with putting sometimes or many times.

I personally usually putt better than I chip so I never felt this way. But I do wonder if anyone ever feels they are glad they are just off the green and would much rather they be facing that current chip/pitch vs putting a long one from the same general area. Are any of you (even if just for that round) so much better at the chips or simply so much worse at the longest putts that you are ever annoyed you actually hit the green because you left yourself with a very long putt? Would you been happier, more confident, felt better or preferred to be chipping it even if it meant you were a little further away and off the green?

Sounds crazy I know and I know the logic and natural answer is going to be to hit greens of course but I can visualize one having great chipping and yet struggling with putts (especially long ones) and just perhaps (even if just for that round) might actually feel they wish they were chipping instead. Or dare I ask to even purposely play somewhat towards that goal?

Depends on how difficult the green is. If it's a multi-tiered green, then I would most likely want to be able to chip as I personally have a difficult time judging speed on long putts where I'm going up/down a tier. Vice versa, if it's a fairly flat green, then I would want to putt it.

Outside of huge turns of slope, no. Less moving parts in putting.

Depends on how difficult the green is. If it's a multi-tiered green, then I would most likely want to be able to chip as I personally have a difficult time judging speed on long putts where I'm going up/down a tier. Vice versa, if it's a fairly flat green, then I would want to putt it.

did you or would you ever intentional play to be just off for this reason? Obviously if there is danger I assume not of course but with no or very minimal danger have you purposely gave that a try I wonder?

Would rather have a putt 95% of the time...unless it has a huge bank right at first.

I am not good enough of course to aim at doing anything other than hit the green and probably very many feel similar but some you good. better, more precise players perhaps ???

did you or would you ever intentional play to be just off for this reason? Obviously if there is danger I assume not of course but with no or very minimal danger have you purposely gave that a try I wonder?

No, I never play to miss the green. I usually try to go at the flag when there is minimal danger around the green. Otherwise if there is danger, I usually just try to play for the middle of the green regardless of whether it's a tiered green or not.

Long putt ftw 95%+ of the time. Or even the best of both worlds and go with 411's infamous chutt technique as opposed to a greenside chip!

I prefer a long putt unless the circus is involved

Putt every time!

There is nothing wrong with chipping from the green surface if you need to or prefer to although I have only found it necessary to do so maybe a dozen times in my life - usually on a severe breaking putt that would require me to putt up into the fringe or off the green to get it close.

I often use my putting stroke with a 3 wood or hybrid when faced with a very long chip(70+ feet) from 5-15 off the green surface.

I'll take the long putt over the greenside chip every time.

If they're the same distance, I'd take the putt every time. So much more can go wrong when adding more elevation to a shot.

Chip for me, I struggle with putting distance on non putting surfaces whether it's first cut, second cut or worse.
I stand a better chance of getting close if I can lift or bump the ball to a spot on the green and let it run out. Usually 7i, 8i, or 9i used for this depending on distance/lie/terrain.

I'm fine either way really...

I usually like the chip. Especially in a nice fringe. Long putts aren't fun.

If I can putt, I will.

While I've been on the fringe and opted to chip rather than putt before, I would almost always rather have a putt than a chip.

I'll take the putt all day if I can. The more time the ball spends on the ground the better off I am.

On putts of longer than 50 feet I would rather be chipping. My clubs average green is 1,124 square feet so we rarely have putts over 30 feet. When I play other courses my GIR's are typically higher than at my course but I also high a much higher chance for 3 putt. I feel I can control my distance from over 50 feet by chipping rather than putting.

Not intentionally, but in some cases I'd rather have it that way.

long Putt less to go wrong

Early in the year when I haven't had much chance to play and get a feel for chipping, I'll sometimes go for putting. From about the 2nd month of the season on, I'd rather chip in most situations.
My home course has small greens and most of them are elevated at least a foot or two. Because of this, I find it very difficult to judge the distance of my putts when putting up and onto the greens.
I like practicing short chips and probably hit 100 - 200 greenside chips every week, so that's one of the more dependable parts of my game.

unless I have to carry a severe slope or ridge then I would rather putt all day

Back