In need of a little advice about my new set of irons.

This is a poor comparison. If you walk into a golf shop and compare the 2 you would notice clubs 7-GW on the 12OS look more like a conventional iron. The soles on the altitudes are way thicker. Not even close. Just saying.

If we are going by that standard then I will add at address the alt's look much better, less offset, not even close, just saying.

It goes all ways.

But, I was one who improved my handicap and ballstriking while playing Alt's at a single digit, but I shouldn't have been able to by some of the standards in here. Heck, I've seen JB destroy a golf course with them.

Golf is funny, there is no one way or none club. But the idea of growing into clubs is asinine IMO.

This is a poor comparison. If you walk into a golf shop and compare the 2 you would notice clubs 7-GW on the 12OS look more like a conventional iron. The soles on the altitudes are way thicker. Not even close. Just saying.

Funny, but if you asked me to pick one or the other, it would probably be the Idea set based on actually using both (as well as multiple other OS sets). Saying one is substantially bigger than the other reeks of bias though. They are both huge and really the same take on an iron set, minus the open cavity in the Ideas and the hybrids being part of the Idea set.

I get it. You work for Adams and believe in the product. I like the product too! I've played Adams gear in some way or another almost every season I've golfed. Between reviews and personal choices, I've played close to a dozen of their products in the last two years alone, but saying that one vs the other is better for one's game based on the size thing is just misinformation, which in the end is not helpful to a guy looking for new clubs. Its just as bad as what he listened to at the store, and quite frankly - most unhelpful to a consumer that likely needs some clarification. It's a classic reason as to why people don't trust sales reps.

DSC_1088_zps35d53e87.jpg

DSCN3312-L.jpg

DSCN3319-L.jpg

Here's a couple wedges from each set at address.

DSC_1086_zpsfd6d21fa.jpg

DSCN3320-L.jpg

This is why I love Hawk, he's a do-er.

Stop it...just stop photo shopping. The A12s are mysteriously blown up twice the size as the altitudes and at different angles. The photo is lying. Nuff said. Ntw there is a reason the A12 are 300 bucks more than the altitudes. Quality my man.....quality.

Stop it...just stop photo shopping. The A12s are mysteriously blown up twice the size as the altitudes and at different angles. The photo is lying. Nuff said. Ntw there is a reason the A12 are 300 bucks more than the altitudes. Quality my man.....quality.

You are killing your own brand dude. Seriously, you make me never want to buy an Adams product. If I feel that way, I know others do too. You should cut your losses at this point.

Fwiw, those were photos I pulled directly from our own photo hosting site. I took them 6 months ago or something. Untouched.

Wow....just wow.

Dude really? Do you think people here want to support a brand that has people like you talking about equipment like this? Just be objective please, that is all people ask

Also, LOL at the idea of somebody who represents a brand that literally made its name on easy to hit golf clubs insinuating they could be bad for 25hcp's game.

Good choice. It's not like the sweet spot is going to magically vanish in 6 months.

Well, one thing is for sure:

You are a tremendous brand advocate, and you have really sold some people on the brand!

(That brand is probably Cleveland)

You are right, get what fits your game now, and celebrate when your game improves enough that you need to replace them. Used irons are so inexpensive that it is very easy to upgrade to a new set these days.

Right. It's worth noting that it's taken me about 8 years to "outgrow" my clubs. (going from REG to STIFF, going from SGI to just GI)

And really, the difference I'm seeing in my new clubs isn't earth shattering. The new clubs might make me 1 or 2 shots better per round, and even that would be hard to determine.

I just know if I'm going to shave 4 strokes, I need to do everything in my power to help myself.

Listen....after I blew my arm out in 98' pitching for the Blue Jays golf became a release. I had Tommy John surgery a year later and attempted one last comeback for a double A affiliate of the Mariners. It didn't pan out. An 8 year career in the bigs and my dream came to an end so I then switched to golf,, honing my game to a single sigit hdcp. I've been in sales for 3 major manufacturers in 13 years. I don't nad mouth equipment.....I will say one is better than the other and then give my opinions and reasons why. You don't hae to agree with me or my tact7cs but if there's anyone that knows me they know I'm an upfront straight shooter. I don't sugar coat it like you see a many sales reps do.

Accusing of photoshopping however, is just pure insanity and totally uncalled for.

Side note - I really need to try the Ideas.

Accusing of photoshopping however, is just pure insanity and totally uncalled for.

Especially considering the points Hawk was trying to make.

Adams is a great brand, it doesn't need the constant over-selling. One thing to remember though, Adams products won't work for every single golfer out there. Whether it's looks, performance, etc., there are going to be certain golfer's who dislike the Adams clubs and can't hit them. The same goes for the Altitudes, G25's, etc. etc. It's just how life works, nobody is the same.

I get that you are an Adam's guy, and more power to you for believing in your brand. However, bashing other clubs simply because they aren't Adams will get you no where. You will alienate more people than you will help, which is a shame.

One other thing, price has nothing to do with the quality of a product. A $150 Odyssey putter can do just as well if not better for someone than a $350 Scotty. Just as the Cleveland Altitudes can do just as well if not better for someone as the Adams A12's. It all depends on the golfer.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Doesn't Adams have commercials running with Tom Watson telling amateurs to make golf easier by playing SGI hybrid irons???

You are killing your own brand dude. Seriously, you make me never want to buy an Adams product. If I feel that way, I know others do too. You should cut your losses at this point.

Fwiw, those were photos I pulled directly from our own photo hosting site. I took them 6 months ago or something. Untouched.

Thank you for this post.
As someone that works with Adams weekly in our office, has hosted events with Adams and speaks to the people there on a weekly basis, we are proud to have them as a partner of THP. I also know they would never post the things being said here.

They are true believers in their brand, work hard for their company, but choose not to constantly bash competitors and instead continue to put out a quality product. Especially considering the information being put out is just not correct.

Thank you for this post.
As someone that works with Adams weekly in our office, has hosted events with Adams and speaks to the people there on a weekly basis, we are proud to have them as a partner of THP. I also know they would never post the things being said here.

They are true believers in their brand, work hard for their company, but choose not to constantly bash competitors and instead continue to put out a quality product. Especially considering the information being put out is just not correct.

One thing I have gathered from the current Adams golf, they are extremely proud of their product. They want to make great products that make the game easier and are proud of that mission.

Listen....after I blew my arm out in 98' pitching for the Blue Jays golf became a release. I had Tommy John surgery a year later and attempted one last comeback for a double A affiliate of the Mariners. It didn't pan out. An 8 year career in the bigs and my dream came to an end so I then switched to golf,, honing my game to a single sigit hdcp. I've been in sales for 3 major manufacturers in 13 years. I don't nad mouth equipment.....I will say one is better than the other and then give my opinions and reasons why. You don't hae to agree with me or my tact7cs but if there's anyone that knows me they know I'm an upfront straight shooter. I don't sugar coat it like you see a many sales reps do.

Just to be clear, I don't think anybody said that the Adams clubs you suggested were bad, and I don't think anybody even suggested that the Altitudes were "better".

People just said that SGI irons, specifically the Alt's, aren't clubs that a high handicapper is magically going to "grow out of".

You said something about thick soles, etc, etc., and people responded truthfully that the Alt's are similar to the Adams in their head shape and general technology. Again, people don't magically outgrow this technology. Their needs and their game may change, but it takes a lot practice to determine that.

Maybe just re-read what people were saying? I think you might be overreacting a little here.

Wow, things got interesting in here. Back to the OP, I got Adams A3OS clubs 5 years ago and I was provably a high 20's capper (didn't pay attention to handicap at that point) and I've been able to drop to a 16.5 trending lower with the same set. To say you can grow out of a club seems silly to me, especially to a typical amateur who doesn't have or take the time to spend on their game.

If you're going to get to scratch in 6 months, then maybe he has a point. Otherwise, get what you hit best now.

Adams also makes some of the best players irons on the planet. Just ask any scratch or single didget capper gaming a set of CMBs, CB2s or the XTD forged line....not the cast cross cavity version Ernie rocks but the forged with tungsten weighting. Adams appeals to a wide demographic of skill level. We don't spend alot on advertising and although our pro sponsership is growing it's still not up there with the big boys l7ke Titleist, Callaway and Tmag. Adidas owns both TM and Adams but we still operate as single entities......although I do scratch my head at times when TM steals patents, speeline and slot technology come to mind. Loll. We phased out the Tight Lies line of irons last year but the speedline plus took their place in that GI category.....still use the same 431 stainless so the quality remains. Heres a pic of the 2012 edition of the 1208 irons. Which are hard to find brand new but you can if you dig deep enough. These sold out as fast as they were made.

You still get that traditional look with a nice wide sole, weighting in all the right places and a fairly thick top line which appeals to many golfers of average hdcp. These aren't sgi but a good solid gi set. Quality, I have a set I use as my travel bag when I go to Hawaii which is often. Thank God I make a lot of money. Loll

Back