How much do you trust indoor launch data?

I don't trust most in store monitors. It's often difficult to get the correct tee height and I don't swing exactly the same inside. I do trust a Trackman monitor and obviously prefer if it's outside. For me the easiest way to choose a new club or shaft is to hit it outside and watch the flight. To really know if a driver/shaft combination fits me I have to play a few rounds with it. That explains why I buy a few drivers every year!:act-up:

Right. Tee height could have been an issue, and I definitely don't swing the same indoors.

No offense and this is not a dig but I don't think the monitor is too far off. 275 or 300 yard bombs are not as easy as people make them out to be.

No offense and this is not a dig but I don't think the monitor is too far off. 275 or 300 yard bombs are not as easy as people make them out to be.

Yeah, too many variables to draw any real conclusions, Freddie. Could have been me swinging like crap indoor, equipment, the wrong tee height, etc. One thing I do know. For me, the data I get from these monitors/simulators wasn't useful. Or, I have not been able to make use of the data it is giving me.

I don't trust them.

How much do you trust indoor launch data?

I actually emailed my golftec guy and asked after this thread came up. He says he trusts the track man 100% but only after he has checked it all over and reset the calibrations. I guess in a place like that with a lot of traffic it's easy for things to get bumped and out of line and start giving questionable numbers. I've seen that going from one bay to another where my 6 iron all of the sudden goes from the normal 180ish to 145 no matter what.

It probably helps that he can make the same swing 99 times out of 100 and really judge vs. me who can do it maybe 5 out of 10 and will have questions about wtf just happened no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually emailed my golftec guy and asked after this thread came up. He says he trusts the track man 100% but only after he has checked it all over and reset the calibrations. I guess in a place like that with a lot of traffic it's easy for things to get bumped and out of line and start giving questionable numbers. I've seen that going from one bay to another where my 6 iron all of the sudden goes from the normal 180ish to 145 no matter what.

It probably helps that he can make the same swing 99 times out of 100 and really judge vs. me who can do it maybe 5 out of 10 and will have questions about wtf just happened no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is everything perfect, no. Do they spit out bad data, yes. But I don't think it's as frequent as people think. I know people's perception about how far they hit shots is way off.

I've been tested at Callaway, puma and golftec and get very similar numbers. My swing speed has been the same for years, distance with 6i varies based on the club I swing but for the most part my numbers are spot on. I know my swing is repeatable so my numbers are going to be solid. Most don't have a repeatable swing so the data will vary.

I will say this. Using my Bushnell GPS watch I had 3 drives over 300 yards, and another 2 which were very close to that. The best drive at GS registered 225. On the range I was seeing 250 to 300 pretty regularly, but past 250 it slopes up. So there is very little roll past that. Most of my drives at GS didn't register 200.

The data made no sense to me. Who am I going to believe, GS or my lying eyes?

I depends on the monitor for me. I've seen weird things on some of those junk simulators where my 6I and diver were traveling the same distance lol wtf. Far as launch monitors go they are usually pretty close for me. Sometimes on the range I think my ball is going father than it is. I guess sometimes the data (when accurate) can be humbling

I will say this. Using my Bushnell GPS watch I had 3 drives over 300 yards, and another 2 which were very close to that. The best drive at GS registered 225. On the range I was seeing 250 to 300 pretty regularly, but past 250 it slopes up. So there is very little roll past that. Most of my drives at GS didn't register 200.

The data made no sense to me. Who am I going to believe, GS or my lying eyes?

Trust your measurements but understand how conditions impact a shot. Take a shot that would carry 250. At altitude that could become 275. It could be a little further if you get help from the wind. If your fairways are like the ones here a rollout of 30-40 yards is very possible. Add it all up and you have some 300 yard bombs.

A monitor may not account for a number of factors, but if you know how a club performs in everyday conditions you can use it as a baseline to compare against.

Trust your measurements but understand how conditions impact a shot. Take a shot that would carry 250. At altitude that could become 275. It could be a little further if you get help from the wind. If your fairways are like the ones here a rollout of 30-40 yards is very possible. Add it all up and you have some 300 yard bombs.

A monitor may not account for a number of factors, but if you know how a club performs in everyday conditions you can use it as a baseline to compare against.

Yep, got that. I will definitely use the Bertha as the baseline from now on. Thanks!

I'm always short on the range. Rather, I don't look at distance on the range. Yardages get tuned on the course.

Maybe the simulator at golf smith wasn't tuned for the elevation.

I don't really understand this. Do you mean you play a lot of practice rounds? Seems like finding out your 8i goes 160 on a 145 yard par 3 is bad timing.

I use the range to dial in distances and it seems to work well for me. I guess if your range has limited distance balls that wouldn't work.

I don't really understand this. Do you mean you play a lot of practice rounds? Seems like finding out your 8i goes 160 on a 145 yard par 3 is bad timing.

I use the range to dial in distances and it seems to work well for me. I guess if your range has limited distance balls that wouldn't work.

My range does have limited distance balls. I don't trust most range balls. Especially old range balls.

Over a few years I have learned what my irons do. I do play a few practice 9s a month. Perfect time to fine tune.

My range does have limited distance balls. I don't trust most range balls. Especially old range balls.

Over a few years I have learned what my irons do. I do play a few practice 9s a month. Perfect time to fine tune.

Ahh makes sense blu.

I guess I'm just fortunate as most ranges here have pretty trustworthy balls.

I use a fitter with an outdoor trackman. Have used indoor flightscope, just doesn't feel right..
Hit the 10.5° PING I25 driver with tour stiff shaft.
Indoor: 1200rpm average spin
Outdoor: 2650rpm average spin

Carry, roll also very different. But 1200rpm spin is crazy.

I use a fitter with an outdoor trackman. Have used indoor flightscope, just doesn't feel right..
Hit the 10.5° PING I25 driver with tour stiff shaft.
Indoor: 1200rpm average spin
Outdoor: 2650rpm average spin

Carry, roll also very different. But 1200rpm spin is crazy.

Yes, it is crazy. Immediately discard any results associated with a spin number like that.

When I saw how many inputs were preset on the GC2, I realized it would take me a half hour of pre-session set-up just to confirm that everything was legit.

Can salesmen tweak monitor settings to sell clubs? Absolutely. Do they do so frequently? Maybe. I trust what my eyes and my GPS tell me. Tadashi is right, most folks don't hit hit it as far as they think and they are aided in this delusion by "inflated" scorecard and tee box distance markers. At my home course we have a short 5 that says it's 475 from the black. GPS says it's only 430. Laser gives it only 440 with the bend. So why don't they change it? Members like reaching it in 2 and thinking they are big hitters is my guess.

The GC2 does not have inputs.
What you are seeing is computer software associated with the GC2 to turn it into a simulator...Not the actual launch monitor.

We have discussed this before. I have one sitting down next to me and bring it to every THP Event to be used outside, on the range. There is simply no place to alter things.

I apologize for the semantic quibble -- but the GC2 SOFTWARE on the computer that must be used with the sensor has lots of inputs, as you know. You can adjust the elevation, the fairway rollout, and the "efficiency rating" or smash factor to name three. The efficiency rating is used to compute club head speed, since the GC2 does not track the actual club.

I apologize for the semantic quibble -- but the GC2 SOFTWARE on the computer that must be used with the sensor has lots of inputs, as you know. You can adjust the elevation, the fairway rollout, and the "efficiency rating" or smash factor to name three. The efficiency rating is used to compute club head speed, since the GC2 does not track the actual club.

That is incorrect and its not playing semantics
The GC2 does NOT have to be hooked up to any computer.
What you are viewing is software turning the GC2 into a simulator.
The standard GC2 launch monitor has none of that.

What you are describing is your experience using the GC2 as a simulator. That has very little to do with the actual GC2 launch monitor.

I don't trust sims all that much. There have been some times where I felt like I crushed a driver, yet it shows me a good 30 yards short of what my range/course FEEL tell me on the same well struck shot.

That is incorrect.
The GC2 does NOT have to be hooked up to any computer.
What you are viewing is software turning the GC2 into a simulator.
The standard GC2 launch monitor has none of that.

What you are describing is your experience using the GC2 as a simulator. That has very little to do with the actual GC2 launch monitor.

It is true, I have never used a GC2 that wasn't hooked up to a computer showing a simulation of distance, rollout, flight path, dispersion, etc. And all of the alterable inputs I mentioned were altered in the computer.

So when it is not hooked up to a computer, what readouts does it give? Launch angle, ball speed, spin, and some estimate of carry distance? How does it display left/right deviation? As a number + or - from center? I guessing it cannot give a clubhead speed number in this case.

8eje2u9e.jpg

My guess is that LM and sims need calibrating from time to time and I would bet that most don't get serviced as often as they should.

My guess is that LM and sims need calibrating from time to time and I would bet that most don't get serviced as often as they should.

You are probably right, Tim. Would not surprise me in the least.

Back