2014 Love Is In The Air - New THP Event

This hotel is awesome but these two statues are hideous and comical all at the same time....

ymujuhyz.jpg
syvy9avy.jpg

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

This hotel is awesome but these two statues are hideous and comical all at the same time....

ymujuhyz.jpg
syvy9avy.jpg

Where are those at?

Sounds like another successful THP event. I was lurking during the weekend checking the festivities out where I could. Sounds like everyone had a blast and I would expect nothing less. The resort looks amazing also.

Down by the art gallery...

Oh ok, let us know if you need a ride any where. I'm thinking outlet mall today.

Sounds like another successful THP event. I was lurking during the weekend checking the festivities out where I could. Sounds like everyone had a blast and I would expect nothing less. The resort looks amazing also.

Nicest resort in the US that I have ever stayed at hands down. Just so much to do and the pool areas were awesome.

Here is my roundup/thoughts about what truly was an fabulous weekend.

1. Had a blast playing with JB, MikeDean, and Coers on Saturday. What a great group of guys, and it was the best round of golf I have ever played. I mean that from an enjoyment standpoint, not score. They all provided me with great advice and encouragement that I will definitely take with me in my future rounds. JB claims to be an eight handicap but he won't be for very long, and Mike and Andrew will be forces to reckon with at the Morgan Cup. Thanks for a wonderful round guys, it was a pleasure playing with you and I hope to tee it up with you all again soon.

2. Conditioning. I know it's a priority to groove my swing so I can hit the ball consistently (especially off the tee), but I need to work on my stamina. The later the round got, the sloppier my play was ... and I was dreadful on Sunday (which I pray was a passing thing). So I am going to make a change to my routine and start adding more endurance training to my regimen. It also, obviously, means I need to play more golf.

3. Coers - I know we gave you a lot of grief this weekend, and you even spawned a few hastag's along the way, but we wouldn't have picked on you if we didn't like you. It was a pleasure being your cart mate on Saturday. Your game is very good. You are long off the tee, you hit every club with confidence, and your lag putting was impressive. And you have the confidence to go right at it. One bad hole aside, you shot a solid round. Once you get to the point where you stop leaking a couple of strokes here and there you're a single digit handicapper.

4. Trevor (TNTCigarGuy), Phillip (threeboysdad), and Gene (certifi_able) ... all three awesome golfers. Was impressive to watch you guys strike the ball on Sunday. I felt bad subjecting you to my horrible round, and hope at the next event I have that rectified. I see why Phillip is a three time THP HoF'er ... those bomb's off the tee. Amazing! I appreciate Trevor keeping things light and cheerleading me on as I jumped between bogey and blowup golf, and Gene was the laid back one of the group gaming those Wilson Staff FG Tour blades with aplomb. Your significant others were a blast to play with, and the round was a enjoyable one, thank you!

5. I appreciate THP, and her members, standing on the principle that all golfers - no matter their ability - are welcome. That type of exposure and opportunity makes one really want to improve their game. If you leave a THP event and don't have the urge to improve and hit the course as soon as humanly possible to play again ... you need to get your pulse checked.

6. Having the wives/girlfriends along on this trip was pure genius. Yes, they all think it's amusing that their husbands met a bunch of men on the internet and go out to meet them in person (As my wife said "Do you know how that sounds when you say it out loud?") but I think they all really "get" THP now. After the trip she said she could get used to being a golf widow (I am sure that has it's limits) but that she really enjoyed the group aspect of this one. Thank you for thinking this event up.

7. Also, thank you to Morgan and Josh for taking us out to dinner on Friday evening. Villa de Flora was a great place. The wife and I have already said that next time we're in Orlando that we seriously have to give the Gaylord Palms Resort some serious consideration, though the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress was also a great resort as well. Trying to figure out which one to stay at next time we're down there is a good problem to have.

8. I said it before, but I have to say it again ... thank you Morgan, Josh, and Mike for putting together such a wonderful event. It's something we'll be looking forward to again, and one we'll revist in a couple months. The bottle of champagne has been placed in our china cabinet along with our two champagne flutes. When we get back from the hospital with our son, that bottle is going to be opened in celebration. Thanks again!

Last edited:

1. Had a blast playing with JB, MikeDean, and Coers on Saturday. What a great group of guys, and it was the best round of golf I have ever played. They all provided me with great advice and encouragement that I will definitely take with me in my future rounds. JB claims to be an eight handicap but he won't be for very long, and Mike and Andrew will be forces to reckon with at the Morgan Cup. Thanks for a wonderful round guys, it was a pleasure playing with you and I hope to tee it up with you all again soon.

2. Conditioning. I know it's a priority to groove my swing so I can hit the ball consistently (especially off the tee), but I need to work on my stamina. The later the round got, the sloppier my play was ... and I was dreadful on Sunday (which I pray was a passing thing). So I am going to make change to my routine and start adding more endurance training to my regimen. It also, obviously, means I need to play more golf.

3. Coers - I know we gave you a lot of grief this weekend, and you even spawned a few hastag's along the way, but we wouldn't have picked on you if we didn't like you. It was a pleasure being your cart mate on Saturday. Your game is very good. You are long off the tee, you hit every club with confidence, and your lag putting was impressive. And you have the confidence to go right at it. One bad hole aside, you shot a solid round. Once you get to the point where you stop leaking a couple of strokes here and there you're a single digit handicapper.

4. Trevor (TNTCigarGuy), Phillip (threeboysdad), and Gene (certifi_able) ... all three awesome golfers. Was impressive to watch you guys strike the ball on Sunday. I felt bad subjecting you to my horrible round, and hope at the next event I have that rectified. I see why Phillip is a three time THP HoF'er ... those bomb's off the tee. Amazing! I appreciate Trevor keeping things light and cheerleading me on as I jumped between bogey and blowup golf, and Gene was the laid back one of the group gaming those Wilson Staff FG Tour blades with aplomb. Your significant others were a blast to play with, and the round was a enjoyable one, thank you!

5. I appreciate THP, and her members, standing on the principle that all golfers - no matter their ability - are welcome. That type of exposure and opportunity makes one really want to improve their game. If you leave a THP event and don't have the urge to improve and hit the course as soon as humanly possible to play again ... you need to get your pulse checked.

6. Having the wives/girlfriends along on this trip was pure genius. Yes, they all think it's amusing that their husbands met a bunch of men on the internet and go out to meet them in person (As my wife said "Do you know how that sounds when you say it out loud?") but I think they all really "get" THP now. After the trip she said she could get used to being a golf widow (I am sure that has it's limits) but that she really enjoyed the group aspect of this one. Thank you for thinking this event up.

7. Also, thank you to Morgan and Josh for taking us out to dinner on Friday evening. Villa de Flora was a great place. The wife and I have already said that next time we're in Orlando that we seriously have to give the Gaylord Palms Resort some serious consideration, though the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress was also a great resort as well. Trying to figure out which one to stay at next time we're down there is a good problem to have.

8. I said it before, but I have to say it again ... that you Morgan, Josh, and Mike for putting together such a wonderful event. It's something we'll be looking forward to again, and one we'll revist in a couple months. The bottle of champagne has been placed in our china cabinet along with our two champagne flutes. When we get back from the hospital with our son, that bottle is going to be opened in celebration. Thanks again!

Tom is good people and I will talk about that in my recap, but I had to bold #5 as its the STONE COLD TRUTH!

#5: Couldn't have said it better! After Vegas last year, I had the exact same thoughts!

I have not been to a THP event yet, but I do love reading these threads and especially the recaps.
plus I really enjoyed seeing the pics of THPers with their better halves, makes me think I could one day convinced my girlfriend to take up golf sometime.

Wow great write up Tom, and thank you for the kind words. Gotta say it was a pleasure playing golf with you, Mike Dean and JB on Saturday. Started great at the first tee and just kept on going. Gotta say after you telling us your handicap and the way you played I wouldn't have believed you. You played great man and glad to see you have some great shots out there. Keep at it and you'll be shooting in the nineties consistently. Great job man, and it was a pleasure to meet you.

1. Had a blast playing with JB, MikeDean, and Coers on Saturday. What a great group of guys, and it was the best round of golf I have ever played. I mean that from an enjoyment standpoint, not score. They all provided me with great advice and encouragement that I will definitely take with me in my future rounds. JB claims to be an eight handicap but he won't be for very long, and Mike and Andrew will be forces to reckon with at the Morgan Cup. Thanks for a wonderful round guys, it was a pleasure playing with you and I hope to tee it up with you all again soon.

2. Conditioning. I know it's a priority to groove my swing so I can hit the ball consistently (especially off the tee), but I need to work on my stamina. The later the round got, the sloppier my play was ... and I was dreadful on Sunday (which I pray was a passing thing). So I am going to make change to my routine and start adding more endurance training to my regimen. It also, obviously, means I need to play more golf.

8. I said it before, but I have to say it again ... that you Morgan, Josh, and Mike for putting together such a wonderful event. It's something we'll be looking forward to again, and one we'll revist in a couple months. The bottle of champagne has been placed in our china cabinet along with our two champagne flutes. When we get back from the hospital with our son, that bottle is going to be opened in celebration. Thanks again!

Even Miles the traveling golf Minion had a great time at the Love is in the Air event.
yba6u6um.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Is that gonna be the new avatar?!?!?!

A few last pictures before we checkout.....

a7a2even.jpg
8ytupary.jpg
umunu2y9.jpg
e3ema5en.jpg
a4abyzuq.jpg
ybuhe6av.jpg
u7aheset.jpg
uqene2yb.jpg
ruqasyzy.jpg

OK, this will be long. You have been warned.

I arrived on Friday afternoon. I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress a few times, and each time it gets a little better. They recently upgraded some of the technology in the rooms, so it was cool to walk in and have the TV come on automatically with a welcome screen and start playing music. Apparently Hyatt really likes Margo May, as all the songs were by her. I downloaded Blue Shoes, the first song that played, because it will always remind me of that great feeling of starting a vacation.

The cocktail reception flew by, as we had to get to the Gaylord Palms, but it was good to meet new people. I had picked up some cigars from my friend’s cigar shop on the way. I don’t smoke, but I knew a few guys would appreciate them. I enjoyed getting to meet a few THPers I hadn’t met before, as well as catching up with a few I already knew. Something smelled like waffles or something, and I figured out it was the Crown Royal Maple. That’s some good stuff, even with Pepsi.

My wife was running late, driving over after work, and I think she was probably the last person to arrive at the buffet, unless you count people who were passed out from hitting it too hard at the pool that day and didn’t make it ;) We enjoyed chatting with the people around us (Mike Dean, NiteOwl03 and his wife, Mike Dean’s wife, Josh, Morgan and Threeboysdad off the top of my head).

Saturday was great. As usual, I was among the later arrivals at the course. I had grand plans of getting a 10 minute chipping lesson from Josh, trying out the SLDR irons and hitting the Apex irons, but none of that really happened. I topped my 7 iron 5 times in a row and decided to give up on the driving range. It turned out to be a good call, because I had a good ball striking day on the course, which usually happens after a disastrous warm up on the range. Kenh, GolfinFF and Texasbrons were in my group, and we had a great time. Ken started to get his new Amp Cell going, which was fun to watch. He really started getting it dialed in on the back and hit some great drives. Texasbrons and GolfinFF had some great shots, including Texasbrons with the best par of the weekend from the worst lie imaginable. Out of the 16 tee shots our foursome had on par 3s, I think we hit one green, which was GolfinFF. 1/16 ain’t bad when you are having fun. Like most THP events, the people are better than the golf

Dinner Saturday was awesome. Sunday I woke up completely exhausted. I felt faint on the way to the course, and realized I didn’t have anything to eat or drink. I choked down half a turkey sandwich at the clubhouse, and we had just enough time for Jamie to hit 8 putts before we hit the course. I think the other ladies were jealous of the Chromax balls she would be putting with, one of which was dubbed “The Golden Snitch” by the ladies in the group. Everybody in my group (JB, Golf4Life and dhartmann34) was a better player than me, which was compounded by the fact that I was not playing well. It didn’t matter. We still had a blast, though Morgan did rib me for using the term “Poundtown”. Josh is very afraid of bugs. Golf4Life and Josh had several kick-ins. I believe Brett had a 2 hole stretch where he was -3. Josh almost had a hole in one. Dhartmann didn't even let his wife putt for the first few holes, because he was sticking it too close (including some creative use of the sprinkler head). All of the ladies putted well. Becky (dhartmann’s wife) has a great stroke. Jamie and Morgan both made long putts, and Lee had an incredible monster lag putt over a huge ridge that almost dropped in the hole. On the same hole, Jamie made a 6 footer for my only birdie of the weekend.

My least favorite part of THP events is always the end. I didn’t get to say goodbye to everybody, but I had a good time, and I think my wife did too. Big thanks to Josh, Morgan and Mike for doing all the heavy lifting, and to every THPer who took an already great event and made it spectacular. I don’t know if my wife has any greater understanding of my golf obsession, but I think she certainly gets THP now.

Last edited:
Love reading all these great recaps.

I mentioned this event several times this weekend to my Fiancé while I was following the thread, hoping the seeds would be planted for next year.

Serious question for everyone here.

If hitting into the group ahead of guys called IceJacking

If you hit into the group ahead of you and that group contains a female would that be TroyJacking?

If you hit into the group ahead of you and that group contains a female would that be TroyJAcking?

Just belly laughed on the airplane.

If you hit into the group ahead of you and that group contains a female would that be TroyJacking?

Without a doubt.

Without a doubt.

I guess I finally figured out what getting "ice jacked" was. I thought it just meant that someone stole all the ice out of our cooler.

Prior to THP, I always heard icejacking as when someone surprises you at a party with a Smirnoff Ice and you have to drink it while down on one knee and everyone laughing at you because you were drinking a Smirnoff Ice. But, alas, my friends are morons.

I just laughed out loud walking through home depot

This has been a great weekend of golf food and THP families. Friday's meet and greet was just wonderful and Josh and Morgan's hospitality is first class. Met and chatted with pretty much everyone and had a great time. John (Just_Hacking) made an open invitation to anyone needing a ride to dinner and I'm so glad we went with them. John and Natalie are two of the most generous and down to earth people you will ever meet.
The buffet dinner at the Gaylord Palms was eye popping. What a great resort with the food and company both being excellent.

Saturday golf was more than I could have hoped for. Orange County National is a phenomenonal site. If you ever have the opportunity to go don't hesitate.
Just_Hacking Niteowl03 and dhartmann34 and myself all had our ups and downs for the round but we all had a great time. dhartmann flat out bombed some drives and Niteowl has the most fluid swing. Just_hackings bird on the first hole just lit up that smile of his I won't soon forget. It was a pleasure teeing it up with you gents.
Dinner at Kobe had Japanese #butterflying everywhere and very entertaining. I for one ate way too much because the food was that good.

Sunday's golf with threeboysdad (Phillip) Duece (Tom) TNTcigarguy (Trevor) and their better halves was a great day of golf and laughs. I was sure Phillip was going to make it rain with the height he gets on his iron shots. And talk about bombs Phillip and Trevor can both go deep. I can see the desire in your game Tom but you still keep it fun. You've got the right attitude for this game and I know you'll get it where you want to be in no time.
gebu7ysu.jpg

Sparks and Mrs Sparks ....Wonderful pictures!

The Hyatt Grand Cypress has been just wonderful. We will be leaving tomorrow and I will miss the rest and relaxation. Beautiful resort!

To Josh Morgan and Mike. Thank you for all that you do. This has been an amazing experience for Diana and myself. I look forward to seeing all of you again soon.

wow... that is not what I want to be known for.

wow... that is not what I want to be known for.

Better then being known for finding a certain piece of jewelry on a putting green...

Back