2014 Players Championship Contest & Official Thread

Glad to see Kaymer win this one. He played extremely solid and took adversity and slapped it in the face like a red headed stepchild.

I am not surprised that nobody picked Kaymer, and I am glad that the prize will be up for grabs again

The ball alignment garbage that Furyk was pulling on 17 green was insane. That had to be the worst display I have ever seen for lining up a putt. Good for Miller on calling Furyk out, on 18 green, when the horn blew.

Furyk spent, what seemed like, 2 minutes trying to get his nice black alignment line, that is marked on his ball, exactly line up with the exact blade of grass....and Fluff is helping him from the other side of the hole. My daughter thought I was going to start cussing at the TV. She thought it was pretty funny.

I used to like Furyk. NO MORE!

Are you saying with a chance to win the tournament....you wouldn't spend time making sure what could have been the make or break putt is lined up perfectly? Not like he took 15 minutes to do it....but with the tournament on the line, prize money etc and that he didn't do it on every other hole....I could let it slide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Are you saying with a chance to win the tournament....you wouldn't spend time making sure what could have been the make or break putt is lined up perfectly? Not like he took 15 minutes to do it....but with the tournament on the line, prize money etc and that he didn't do it on every other hole....I could let it slide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Even with all of that. All of the golf ball readjusting he was doing was way beyond what should be considered acceptable. But, it would be curious to know where the group ahead of them was and where the group behind them was.

It all goes back to how the PGA handles it's pace of play. No other sports has anything remotely close to allowing that, unless you consider timeouts a similar scenario. I wish I had it DVR'ed to see if the announcers were saying anything. I bet Miller had to turn his mic off.

Am I reading this right...Nobody picked the winner huh?

He was on my fantasy team... But didn't figure he'd win it. Cool to see the prize pack coming up for grabs again. Just shows how anybody has a shot any given week.

Playing devil's advocate here, I wonder if Furyk stalled that putt lineup on purpose because he knew the horn was close to blowing? Stalling kept him from hearing it in the distance during his stroke and gave him ample time to calm things down if he was feeling any heat in that 4ft putt or so.

Playing devil's advocate here, I wonder if Furyk stalled that putt lineup on purpose because he knew the horn was close to blowing? Stalling kept him from hearing it in the distance during his stroke and gave him ample time to calm things down if he was feeling any heat in that 4ft putt or so.

I think you're over thinking Jim's pokiness. He is slow anyways. He doesn't need an excuse.

It looked even more brutal in animated gif form!
05-11-14-lee-comp.gif

I think you're over thinking Jim's pokiness. He is slow anyways. He doesn't need an excuse.

Each group has a rules official. They are generally pretty good about letting the players know that the horn is about to blow.

I wondered the same thing, I would think it would be more beneficial to wait rather than rush to putt quick.

Martin Kaymer waiting for his flight out of Jacksonville.

y4yvareh.jpg

I'd be the guy who walks up to him congratulate him. That was one courageous win - the putt he made on #17 was really unbelievable. Thanks for posting the picture. Hard to believe he just won a big $$ prize and isn't sitting in some first class luxury waiting area instead of with commoners like us.

Back