Are you psyched when heavily out-driven?

Thedoswells

Reaction score
Handicap
GST 12.0
For the shorter hitters out there, like me, I wonder how well you deal with being heavily out-driven by your playing partners.
i used to be fine with it. Now I find it harder. When I play my shot, I'm thinking that they will probably be hitting 2 or 3 clubs less than me for their second, and I don't focus on my shot as well. Also find it embarrassing.
Furyk doesn't seem to worry.
good thing I don't play with Bubba or Quiros...

I'm the longer hitter and I see the faces turn to hunger sometimes. Played with a friend today, my hybrid is longer then his drives. He doesn't seem to mind, but it sometimes bothers me. Mustn't be fun to play with someone that is always longer off the tee.

Doesn't seem to bother me. But most of the guys I play with I can hit along with.

Now I will say that I do get into the attitude of chasing them, and put myself in a bad spot there sometimes.

But honestly I mostly duff my drives so they are generally at the advantage.

I gets aggravating for sure, but try and accept it and move on. If I try and over swing to keep up with a long hitter it does not end well, I just try and play my game and not pay attention to what they're doing. Easier said than done sometimes I know.

It kinda stinks really ..and don't let it fool you , it does bother you . I will start swinging harder to keep up , which is real bad. The big bombers don't impress me as much. , 220 to 240 off the tee and a scorer is impressive to me

I gets aggravating for sure, but try and accept it and move on. If I try and over swing to keep up with a long hitter it does not end well, I just try and play my game and not pay attention to what they're doing. Easier said than done sometimes I know.
I think that's the key. Last time when I relaxed and flushed one on a hole I was only a few yards behind. I need to stay in my space..

Nope. Never bothered me one bit.

No worries here, I'm used to it and better than most with hybrids so it tends to workout just fine.

Never bothered me and never will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to let it take me out of my rhythm just so I could try and eek out extra yards, ultimately resulting in wayward tee shots almost 100% of the time. Now I just keep reminding myself to stay within my game. There will always be people who outdrive you; it doesn't make you less of a golfer.

Do you use Jedi mind tricks on yourself?

Nope. I know my strengths and play to them. I compete against par. The handicap system works the rest out in a handicapped event and a non-handicap event I deal with my strengths and play fairways and greens.

My goals never change and frankly they shouldn't regardless of what another player does. Its really no different than competing against someone that is shorter than you, or a good putter or anything else. Just one part of the game, and frankly the rest matters just as much.

I used to let it take me out of my rhythm just so I could try and eek out extra yards, ultimately resulting in wayward tee shots almost 100% of the time. Now I just keep reminding myself to stay within my game. There will always be people who outdrive you; it doesn't make you less of a golfer.
Sometimes easier said than done. I guess everyone I know that I can play with can out hit me easily...

Not normally, but it did get to me when a 73 year old guy hit the ball as far as I did. He had a beautiful swing.

Nope. I know my strengths and play to them. I compete against par. The handicap system works the rest out in a handicapped event and a non-handicap event I deal with my strengths and play fairways and greens.

My goals never change and frankly they shouldn't regardless of what another player does. Its really no different than competing against someone that is shorter than you, or a good putter or anything else. Just one part of the game, and frankly the rest matters just as much.

Helpful thanks

Are you psyched when heavily out-driven?

I'm the longer hitter and I see the faces turn to hunger sometimes. Played with a friend today, my hybrid is longer then his drives. He doesn't seem to mind, but it sometimes bothers me. Mustn't be fun to play with someone that is always longer off the tee.

Not sure why it would be less fun. Someone has to be the longer hitter. I don't worry about anyone else's drives but my own. Chances are if I play the game the way it is supposed to be I will be just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It use to bother me but now i just play my own game and shoot lower because im not trying to do something i cant.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I play with shorter hitters so I'm usually not out driven but I will say like JB mentioned, we're playing against par so as long as the strokes equal out in the end, it shouldn't matter how you get there. I guess I can see tho the frustration of having to hit a longer club every time but then why not tee it forward?

It doesn't psych me out but in casual rounds I do find myself trying to keep up. But if I hit first it's no big deal. Just means I get to sit in the cart forts or glance at THP or run to the bathroom.

It doesn't psych me out but in casual rounds I do find myself trying to keep up. But if I hit first it's no big deal. Just means I get to sit in the cart forts or glance at THP or run to the bathroom.
Nice one. Thx

Doesn't bother me. Have always played with guys who hit the ball a long way, so just became use to it early on when I started playing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Says the guy who hit a 330 yard 3 wood last year, hehehe.

(I know it's not the norm, but I had to mention it Freddie!)

I love watching long hitters. I know I am never going to be out there with them, so I just do what I do and not try to do to much.

Most of the time!

Accuracy trumps distance. I'll take my 250/260 yard drives in the fairway all day every day over 300 yards in the rough. My brother in law outdrives me on every driver hole and rarely outscores me. Length is good if you can control it and most can not. I'm away often on the long holes and pay no attention to it.

Yup, I played an 80 year old guy in league once, he didn't have length, but he kept it in the fair way the whole time, his approach shots where really close to the pin, and when he did miss he could get up and down like I've never seen.

It was pretty impressive to watch him make a fool out of me.

Says the guy who hit a 330 yard 3 wood last year, hehehe.

(I know it's not the norm, but I had to mention it Freddie!)

I love watching long hitters. I know I am never going to be out there with them, so I just do what I do and not try to do to much.

Most of the time!
Well of you're gonna bring that up it was 354 at the outing....hehehe

Back