TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

Honest question for you. What did you expect them to say?

Yeah never really a good idea to ask a producer or rep about their own product. Better to ask a reviewer or tester.

Hit this finally. Completely honest opinion:

Hit the 12* TP X and the 16* S and have to say I think the shaft is horrible. The X is 20 grams heavier than the S. The 12* and 16* were going the same carry and totals but bother were a lot shorter than the 16* Cleveland Black fairway wood I have (10 yards). I didn't bother hitting off the deck because I just really didn't want to hit either anymore.

Hit this finally. Completely honest opinion:

Hit the 12* TP X and the 16* S and have to say I think the shaft is horrible. The X is 20 grams heavier than the S. The 12* and 16* were going the same carry and totals but bother were a lot shorter than the 16* Cleveland Black fairway wood I have (10 yards). I didn't bother hitting off the deck because I just really didn't want to hit either anymore.

Thanks for the feedback really interesting.

Go check Mark Crossfield review of the mini in youtube, he has a very good way of explaining a way of looking at this club. He says, look at it as a lob wedge, if you have 13 clubs and can put one in, it can really help some gapping between your driver and your 3wood.

In my case, i dont have space for it, i go in and out with my 2deep and my driver, depending on the course, but... I know the 2deep is not my driver replacement, but it will give me better dispersion when playing in tight fairway golf courses.

Thats why i feel not everybody NEEDS this club or will hit it good. Just like a 60 degree wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go check Mark Crossfield review of the mini in youtube, he has a very good way of explaining a way of looking at this club. He says, look at it as a lob wedge, if you have 13 clubs and can put one in, it can really help some gapping between your driver and your 3wood.

Agree, and for some like me I'd actually consider it a replacement for my 3 wood. I don't hit my 3w from the deck even so its purely an option from the tee, and if this was the same as my driver +5% then I'd probably take this every time because of the head size and confidence it gives over the thinner 3w.

Thanks for the feedback really interesting.

Yeah I will say the Non TP S flex felt better weighted than the TP X. They need to adjust the balance points a little I think.

Mine is on it's way (it's ups so hopefully it will turn up in one piece!) As I got the 14* it is purely a big 3 wood for me. We only have 3 par 5s so not a huge need for it off the deck. Have a few holes that are short but very difficult if you hit it a little off line.

Yeah I will say the Non TP S flex felt better weighted than the TP X. They need to adjust the balance points a little I think.

Honest question. Could it maybe be that the balance point is where it is to fit most golfers and you might just need a different fit ?

I think this is a neat club. But I don't need one.

Agree, and for some like me I'd actually consider it a replacement for my 3 wood. I don't hit my 3w from the deck even so its purely an option from the tee, and if this was the same as my driver +5% then I'd probably take this every time because of the head size and confidence it gives over the thinner 3w.

This is my view on this club. I don't hit my 3w off the deck, and basically use it as an alternative for something off the tee. If this can fill that spot, and give me some distance longer than a regular 3w, then why not bag it?

This is my view on this club. I don't hit my 3w off the deck, and basically use it as an alternative for something off the tee. If this can fill that spot, and give me some distance longer than a regular 3w, then why not bag it?

I understand that but if that is the view why not just bag a second driver with higher loft? I would believe since both will have similar setup as far as CG, would you not benefit from the added forgiveness of the larger head with more loft and a shorter shaft?

I understand that but if that is the view why not just bag a second driver with higher loft? I would believe since both will have similar setup as far as CG, would you not benefit from the added forgiveness of the larger head with more loft and a shorter shaft?

If I can game a 12* driver and a 16* driver in the Morgan cup I will. Believe me, I have pondered that a good bit.

I just remember people wanting to game two drivers in the past, and were unable to... But that was in the past.

I'll pm my tour rep.

Old timers who think that modern drivers are icky might like this smaller head

It would be an interesting test to game a regular length driver and one a few degrees higher with the shorter shaft and see the results vs regular driver and 3w. The problem I see with 2 drivers is you have pretty much eliminated using it as a club off the deck whereas the mini you can still use it off the deck with better consistency over the higher lofted driver.

It would be an interesting test to game a regular length driver and one a few degrees higher with the shorter shaft and see the results vs regular driver and 3w. The problem I see with 2 drivers is you have pretty much eliminated using it as a club off the deck whereas the mini you can still use it off the deck with better consistency over the higher lofted driver.

I never hit my 3w off the deck. I would rather lay up.

Old timers who think that modern drivers are icky might like this smaller head

I understand that part. If it's about the look it makes sense. I was speaking specifically from War Eagles quote.

I never hit my 3w off the deck. I would rather lay up.

Same here...High risk high reward for me so I will play it safe 99 times out of 100. 2 drivers may be ur best play.

I understand that part. If it's about the look it makes sense. I was speaking specifically from War Eagles quote.

And I agree with your sentiment. I already carry two specialty clubs in a driver and putter. A 3wood has to be a tee club and an off the deck club for me. I'm not too sure how well this Mini would do that.

Could we be having this discussion a couple years ago? I don't remember any higher lofted drivers available before, highest I think was 12 and usually those were in senior flex. Is this new since these higher lofted drivers appeared this year?

Could we be having this discussion a couple years ago? I don't remember any higher lofted drivers available before, highest I think was 12 and usually those were in senior flex. Is this new since these higher lofted drivers appeared this year?

Interesting thought. I believe it is a lot like another phenomenon that is mocked by "purists" in strong lofts. Both by products of launch angle and spin. As driver heads became lower and lower spin amateurs need that loft (generalization) to achieve distance.

More so because of how the SLDR driver is made with low and forward cg. Makes it really low spin so the higher loft is needed.

Just out of interest... I really thought this is something that would be subject to forum testing to spur debate... bit surprised TM hasn't offered a few around!

I think people see 14* & 16* lofts on this driver and just assume they wont go as far. Interesting that I hit the 14* SLDR further than the 10.5*, all because of the launch angle I was getting.

Just out of interest... I really thought this is something that would be subject to forum testing to spur debate... bit surprised TM hasn't offered a few around!

This thread has been pretty good with people both trying them out and offering up opinions and results as well, though.

This thread has been pretty good with people both trying them out and offering up opinions and results as well, though.

Agreed

True. Like I posted before was lucky enough to stumble across one with my local pro. Do appreciate all those taking the plunge and offering opinions!

Back