The 2014-15 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that as they're going to play with themselves? :alien:

Now that sounded like something Ole Gray would have said. He is rubbing off on you, you young whippersnapper! :laughing:

Dumb.

And they make fun of the SEC's academics?

I read it that as they would cancel scheduling other teams and only play ACC teams as "non-conference" games?

Makes sense to help improve accuracy!

Bama could use that. #BOOM

Gus-Malzahn-BOOM.gif

Rivalry aside, do you think Auburn recruits better kickers or has a better program to make them better once on campus than Alabama does? Because Auburn usually has awesome kickers and lately Alabama has not, even though the recruiting rankings say Alabama's kickers should have been good.

There was a player from Stephen F Austin selected in the draft this year. Never heard of Stephen F Austin? Not many have unless your from Texas..

Or used to live in Texas. Battle of the Piney Woods.

Looking forward to being in your area in October for an awesome THP Event though.

Me too. Gotta see what it is all about in person.

Thank you. I have to figure out how to do twitter without ticking off my wife. Dang ex-girlfriends tracking me down on my now defunct Facebook account pretty much killed social media for me. Wife not happy. Everybody not happy.

Very easy.
Create an account specifically for golf and only use it for THP Contests.

Dumb.

That doesn't make any sense

It means that they are considering adding a team or teams from the other division that are not on their conference schedule for the year in place of a regular non-conference game.
For example, in 2014, Florida State is not scheduled to play Pitt, Duke, Georgia Tech, UNC or Virginia Tech. If Florida State decides to add an ACC team as a non-conference foe in 2014, then they would be adding one of those 5 teams in a slot usually reserved for a non-conference foe.
The ACC voted to remain at 8 conference games with 14 teams so that means some teams won't play each other for many years. I believe Louisville isn't scheduled to meet Virginia Tech until 2020.

It means that they are considering adding a team or teams from the other division that are not on their conference schedule for the year in place of a regular non-conference game.
For example, in 2014, Florida State is not scheduled to play Pitt, Duke, Georgia Tech, UNC or Virginia Tech. If Florida State decides to add an ACC team as a non-conference foe in 2014, then they would be adding one of those 5 teams in a slot usually reserved for a non-conference foe.
The ACC voted to remain at 8 conference games with 14 teams so that means some teams won't play each other for many years. I believe Louisville isn't scheduled to meet Virginia Tech until 2020.

Yes, I know. Still dumb, IMO.

Not to take up for a silly idea, but at least the ACC will be keeping the money at home for those games (if they happen.) TV, ads, tickets, etc. They won't have to barter with the other teams to get them in town. With the current rotation, there may be schools that won't play each other for 11 years. That can hurt season tickets and recruiting, if a kid was hoping to play for a school against his home state. He could, in theory, play 3 years, go to the pros and retire and never see a game between those two schools.

I also think this could be a way of luring Notre Dame in a little further than their just the tip scheme of 5 "conference" games. Come on! Either you are in or not. This would allow for ND-FSU/Clemson/VT/etc on some sort of rotation.

Yes, I know. Still dumb, IMO.

I agree. Might as well just add the 9th conference game. I think the Notre Dame rotation has them spooked which is a little silly since ND hasn't become consistently strong again as of yet. Many ACC teams are acting as if ND is a perennial top 10 team they will have to face every third year (sometimes every other). I like ND but I am realistic. They aren't there yet. Barely a consistent top 25 team.

Not to take up for a silly idea, but at least the ACC will be keeping the money at home for those games (if they happen.) TV, ads, tickets, etc. They won't have to barter with the other teams to get them in town. With the current rotation, there may be schools that won't play each other for 11 years. That can hurt season tickets and recruiting, if a kid was hoping to play for a school against his home state. He could, in theory, play 3 years, go to the pros and retire and never see a game between those two schools.

I also think this could be a way of luring Notre Dame in a little further than their just the tip scheme of 5 "conference" games. Come on! Either you are in or not. This would allow for ND-FSU/Clemson/VT/etc on some sort of rotation.

"Not to take up for a silly idea.." /takes up for the silly idea :alien:

So the ACC is struggling for money that bad? I like when they spread the money around to the little guys. It has to help those smaller programs that don't have the budget of the larger schools.

The "won't play each other for 11 years" sucks, but it's only going to get worse as these conferences grow even larger. I miss the Auburn - Florida games every 4 or 5 years, but now that's going away, too. I don't want Auburn giving up the chance to play teams like Kansas State that they're playing this year or another big conference game in order to play another SEC school. I want to see more regular season big name schools go at it. I think the playoff will get those match ups in the regular season.

I can see it as a gateway to get ND to join full time and/or get a few more schools to hop in there to get to a full 16. Now, it's 14+ND. If that happens, then the conference schedule will change and the out-of-conference between in-conference schools will go away. This is a temporary way to keep some money; not because they are hurting. Its a way to get schools to play each other to boost the conference while keeping the money. Money is not pushing this idea. And yes, they do spread money around to the little guys. And to the big ones too.

They have an 8 game conference schedule with a requirement to play a school from a big 5 conference every year. The B1G has not typically ventured into our area, the SEC doesn't cross pollinate with the ACC unless its a traditional rivalry or in the Chick-fil-A kickoff game, and the left coast doesn't travel over here that often. Thus this idea...

VT plays Clemson in 2017, then in 2024. That's too big of a gap in time to play them. With this idea, we could play them twice in between.

I can see it as a gateway to get ND to join full time and/or get a few more schools to hop in there to get to a full 16. Now, it's 14+ND. If that happens, then the conference schedule will change and the out-of-conference between in-conference schools will go away. This is a temporary way to keep some money; not because they are hurting. Its a way to get schools to play each other to boost the conference while keeping the money. Money is not pushing this idea. And yes, they do spread money around to the little guys. And to the big ones too.

They have an 8 game conference schedule with a requirement to play a school from a big 5 conference every year. The B1G has not typically ventured into our area, the SEC doesn't cross pollinate with the ACC unless its a traditional rivalry or in the Chick-fil-A kickoff game, and the left coast doesn't travel over here that often. Thus this idea...

VT plays Clemson in 2017, then in 2024. That's too big of a gap in time to play them. With this idea, we could play them twice in between.

That isn't entirely accurate on the B1G vs. ACC. Iowa plays at Pitt and Virginia Tech is at Ohio State this year. There was some banter about creating a B1G vs. ACC crossover each year like they have in basketball, especially since the crossover with the Pac-12 isn't moving forward.

HUGE pickup for Auburn. He played here locally at Georgia Military College and was an absolute beast. My neighbor is a coach there and swore to me he was going to commit to Bama. Can't wait to see him this afternoon haha

Those B1G vs ACC games are about it though, and that's only 2 of the 14 teams. Thus my point...
I wouldn't mind seeing the crossover, as lng as we get MD!!

HUGE pickup for Auburn. He played here locally at Georgia Military College and was an absolute beast. My neighbor is a coach there and swore to me he was going to commit to Bama. Can't wait to see him this afternoon haha

Our backfield is going to be crowded next several years with some great backs

Our backfield is going to be crowded next several years with some great backs

It's always crowded, not a bad problem to have. It's crowded this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back