Quick re gripping question

PinHunter

Reaction score
Handicap
If I just cut off old grips then reuse the tape that is already on there does it have enough stickiness left to it to work usually? I don't feel like scraping off tape...

If I just cut off old grips then reuse the tape that is already on there does it have enough stickiness left to it to work usually? I don't feel like scraping off tape...

Usually the existing tape will not work. If you are okay with an extra wrap you can go over the existing tape with new tape. I have done it in the past when I got lazy and it worked just fine.

I would not use the old tape. It is easy to remove if you use a little heat. New tape is cheap.

Some guys use masking tape and air for their grips. Don't see why old tape would be a problem.

Depends on how long the tape has been on there. I have taken off grips that had been on there less than 6 months and the tape has still been good. Re-wet it with grip solvent and good to go. Have never seen tape that has been on there a year or more that I thought was ok to use again though.

I use a hook blade to take my grips off and I would say a majority of the time I end up cutting the tape too and it all peels off in less than a minute. I agree with others that the tape on there should work fine but to be on the safe side just go ahead and throw a new piece of grip tape over the old stuff if you don't want to take it off.

I've used the old tape before if it's in good shape. I hate peeling old tape off.

Depending on how old the grip and tap are, the tape will probably come off with the grip. I was able to take off the rest of the tape easily with a cloth and some bug & tar remover.

I just regripped my dad's irons that he's had since the 80s. The tape came right off with some heat, but left this awful glue residue on the shafts. I was originally going to blow on the new grips, but decided to tape over the glue residue and use mineral spirits instead.

It worked out for him, but that glue residue was NASTY.

Some guys use masking tape and air for their grips. Don't see why old tape would be a problem.

I use air and masking tape, works like a charm, with 2 tapes at least. With Superstroke putter grips you need 3-4 tapes for it to hold.

I never try to reuse tape it is cheap and i do not want to take a chance on having to regrip again plus my hook blade general cuts it while removing old grip

Thanks for all the replies. Since golftown said they were out if tape I just cut the grips off and put the new ones on. Worked great let them sit for 30 mins then went and hit 3 buckets. The orange niions feel great!

Back