Wet Conditions. ..What's your strategy?

HuntGolfVols

Reaction score
Handicap
It has rained almost 4 days straight here. Sunny today but I'm going to play. What is your strategy for playing in conditions like this. I tend to get to much under the ball and hit it fat. I usually take a divot under normal conditions and compress the ball a lot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Typically I account for Florida roll out (which is little to none) on drives and take an extra club and go nice and easy at the ball on approaches. I too can dig up a beaver pelt with or without soft turf. Also consider pick, clean, and place as I've had some pretty nasty plugs into soft ground. Best of luck out there.

I am in the same boat of you. I have been working on not digging trenches around the course. With that being said I tend to take an extra club and put a smooth controlled swing on the ball.

I usally try take a very shallow diviot and asume no roll out

Well we are about to see in less than 2 hours

I would go 1-2 clubs up instead of trying to make swing changes. If you have an adjustable driver loft it up

I just played in some sopping wet conditions last week. I have to be somewhat aware of digging too deep but as long as I stay smooth and too swing too hard, I find that the wetness isn't too hard to deal with.

My strategy is to club up and play less roll, also try to not be so steep. I end up with the mega chunk

I just plan to hit more hybrids. Boo. Also try to make sure I'm hitting the ball clean with the wedges.

Don't hit it fat, accelerate through the ball, bring extra towels!

Don't hit it fat, accelerate through the ball, bring extra towels!

Was just going to say this. Make sure you have lots of stuff to clean clubs because they will get nasty if you take a divot.

I'm more of a sweeper than a digger already, so I don't have to change too much, but I am more focused on clipping the ball than hitting way down on it. And when in the rough, I may take one more club to be safe.

just played yesterday in some pretty soggy conditions. Light rain for several hours overnight and morning temps not high enough to dry anything out. As someone whose main miss is hitting the ball fat, it was pretty miserable out there. Hitting even a quarter inch behind the ball gets exaggerated and punished much more severely when the ground provides zero resistance. I personally just played the ball a little bit further back in my stance and took easier swings (and made sure the sand bottles were full). It helps but doesn't completely eliminate the "sog effect". My score suffered, but I still had a blast. Even if there was a lot more cleanup to do afterwards :)

I don't know how much my strategy changes but I mentally prepare myself for the course to be playing longer than normal. Knowing I'm going to have longer irons into the greens but also know that the greens will most likely be soft and slow. Play aggressive

I try to hit the ball like I do out of a fairway bunker- stable base very little leg action and expect zero role. I also expect low shots to skid an not check up when hit into the green.

Club up for sure, and try to "pick" wedges and NO DECELERATING

I play wet conditions most of the year and the only thing it really changes is the sand and the rough IMO. The sand is nice and simple to get out of a d the rough becomes thick and sticky.

I live in England and it's always wet. I need a strategy if it's ever dry... (Slight exaggeration perhaps)

On the turf, I play the ball back in my stance about one ball width to make sure I'm catching the ball first. I make sure I have extra towels and gloves and just have fun with it.

Thx guys

Assume little roll on tee shots. And swing normal. Ball first contact with forward shaft lean. Sand in divots after shots.

If its really soggy, we play "lift, clean and place." Figure if its good enough for the pro's, its good enough for us. Other than that, if its just wet and not "plug wet," we try and sweep the ball, use at least one more club, and putt firm on the greens.

I generally figure that I need to club up maybe half a club. The ball doesn't compress against the soggy ground as well. Other than that everything else stays the same.

I try to take shallower divots, follow through, and club up as I am sure to chunk some.

I play pretty much the same. I still go down and after every shot.

Back