The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight is going to be 30 of chipping, a bag on 125 and in, and then 9 holes I think. Hell, maybe 18, it stays light late right now.

Ahh aeration, then it doesn't count! :D Aerated greens can kill a good round.

Still shouldn't have been THAT bad haha. Appreciate you giving me an out though hahaha :D

My range session yesterday went very nicely. I think I am doing much better at making sure that my aim and my alignment are in sync, and that my ball position is correct. Was bombing the Bertha long and with the desired shot shapes (little draw normally, and I could work it right when needed), and was hitting the fairway woods and hybrids mostly long and straight. And the important thing is, I was able to keep this up during my "mock round" where I didn't hit shots consecutively with the same club. Feeling encouraged!

Also got some good sand work in, as well as about 25 minutes of putting practice (although the speed is still all goofed up from the aeration 2 weeks back, aaarrghh!).

I'm not sure if I wanna go to the range and do work or course and play and do work 50* and wind in the mid teens?

Hmm work needs done

I'm not sure if I wanna go to the range and do work or course and play and do work 50* and wind in the mid teens?

Hmm work needs done

is doing both an option?

Lots of short game work at the club today--chip/pitches around 40-60 yards.

Will do the orange whip/full swing work tonight on the home net.

Ugh. Rain and 50° sounds so much better when you're not about to go out in it.

Hmm work needs done

That sounds like good short game practice weather..

Weather ended up being toerable. Light rain, but nothing terrible. I pretended it was afternoon in Myrtle Beach minus 40°.

Great practice session. Lots of flags at this place, so I was able to work to different distances with different clubs. Setup changes are already starting to feel more normal. Really seeing good things with irons and hybrids. Height and accuracy and basically the same distances I'm used to. The hooks are all but gone minus a few big stupid misses. If I really focus on keeping my tilt then I'm in real good shape, but even then most misses are better than I'm used to.

Started out seeing really bad things with fairway wood and driver. Really have to turn my chest through impact there or it's a low liner. I think the turn through just comes easier/more natural with the wedges/irons/hybrids. When I was able to get through the ball I saw some height with the fairway wood that was uncharacteristic of me. Work to do there though, because it took a good 12 swings to get there. Driver really never did come around, but I think that may change with my actual driver rather than the Custom. Height was better, but still no bueno and I didn't have the wrench.

Wedges are feeling good. Distances are getting dialed in.

Finished up on the putting green.

Hoping for one more trip out to continue working on the driver before the weekend.

Hmm instructor has replied to texts to setup another lesson since yesterday's was rained out.

Irritable enough already, lucky for me if I decide to drop him I haven't paid for 2nd batch of 6 lessons yet (1 to go in first batch)

Went to the range and putting green. Had a great putting practice. Had good feel for line and pace. The full swing was a different story. I was hitting wedges and short irons wither fat, or so far off the toe it had shank like ball flight. Didnt have the same issue with long irons or woods. It was so weird amd so frustrating. Will be schedulimg a lesson first of the week to get straightenes out

I had a really.... interesting session today. Grabbed a small bucket and started off with short pitches, which went ok. But once again, I just could not get my full swing going. At all. Finally with the last 5 balls or so, I remembered something I had read about keeping your hands far away from your head and not being too overly connected with your arms. So on my backswing I felt like I was pushing the club away from me, then I just dropped my hands from there.

Great contact.

I ran and got another small bucket, and kept that feeling. Everything was nearly dead straight. No noticeable fade. I'm wondering if I had been pulling things too inside. I had left my phone in the car, so I didn't get a chance to take some videos. But just feeling like I was keeping my hands away from my head and not pinning my left arm to my chest had me hitting my irons very nicely, with only a couple of mis-hits. I may start a thread in Freddie's section once I can get some video of me feeling that swing again.

is doing both an option?

Not really wasn't enough time

That sounds like good short game practice weather..

It wasn't good golfing weather at all wind picked up and I got hammered by it on the course but it was a good practice session on the course after yesterday's lesson.

Even though the overall score was terrible due to implementing a swing change on the course I'm generally pretty happy with the practice round. I do have to start staying down on the ball way to many thins on the course.

Hit a bag of balls, had mixed results driver was bad, I think I'm standing up causing me to top the ball. I don't know.

Then chipping practice, which is getting better, making more consistent and better contact but still not consistent enough.

First 12 chips

je2y5ede.jpg

Second to last 12 chips

9yza2eqa.jpg

Decent day at the range. Got out of work early, so I got my time in on the range. Long irons, 4 & 5, still not quite what I want in terms of ball flight, mostly low stingers (intentional or not). But I feel pretty happy with the swing. Really starting to dial in the accuracy with my wedges and short irons. Feeling better and better about the world inside 130 yards. After knocking off a couple of buckets, headed to the short game area, mostly worked with my lob wedge hitting different shots. Worked on using a forward press to achieve different flights, getting a ball to grab or release. Starting to get more and more comfortable with a variety of shots around the green. Plus the short game area had just been watered, definitely playing thick with a lot of different lies. Was a lot of fun.

Great day at the range. Really happy with my grip change.

Worked on chipping and putting for an hour. Tried to see how many up and downs i could make in a row. Sadly, i could only get two in a row. It's nice to know what needs work though.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

Range session rained out tonight so hitting some putts indoors. Working on a slight inside to down the line stroke.

Hmm instructor hasn't replied to texts to setup another lesson since yesterday's was rained out.

Irritable enough already, lucky for me if I decide to drop him I haven't paid for 2nd batch of 6 lessons yet (1 to go in first batch)

Whats the crap is up with him not getting back to you?

Whats the crap is up with him not getting back to you?

Beats me...not happy. This paired with not getting me in last week gas me wondering.

Put my focus on the range into staying relaxed and focused. Ive been too stressed out about my struggles that I was making it worse. My theme of the moment is "just play golf". Keep it simple and have fun. It was tough to do for the first half of the session. I did something a little different today where after I worked up to my driver and finished those swings, I went back to my wedge and worked on my intermediate pitches. I dont know yet if it had something do with how I played today or not, but I like how I felt afterward. Im going to make it part of my pre-round routine.

I worked more on being more relaxed myself. And a more athletic position. Seemed to help I hit it straighter ans longer by 5 yards per club. My only disappointment I have noticed is my pitching wedge and gap wedge are going to same distance. My pitching wedge is around 47' and my gap wedge is 52 degrees. I checked my impart zone and all in pretty much centred. Only thing I notice my pitching wedge is very toe up. My shots do not curve so much right to left. Possiably only 4-6 yards. I am quite puzzled about this.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

The athletic position is great. so much easier to perform an action from a position of readiness.

That is strange about your wedges. I've got nothing for ya, unfortunately. Puzzling, indeed.

No rain today!

League play tonight!

I think I'll head to the range today!
Also hitting the short game area, and practice greens!

Happy day!

Well I hit the range and played nine last night. Was perusing Golf Galaxy during lunch....they had a 13 degree stiff flex RBZ Tour Spoon in their used area 41 bucks in decent condition so I picked it up. Hit 20 balls with it on the range. Didn't find my groove with it. Seems I had to really step on it to get the flight I wanted but when I did...it was long. Could not hit it off the deck to save my life.

Spent some time with my short game doing chips with my pw and AW then off to the back nine where I tried the Tour Spoon. Was very hit and miss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Spent some much needed range time yesterday.

Really working on dropping my right elbow straight down... When I do it well, the result is so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back