The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grind on Mike. It will come. Just have to believe it and keep up the work.

Get it mike. It will pay off for sure!

Grind on Mike. It will come. Just have to believe it and keep up the work.

Yeah buddy and I kid you not after my lesson about 30 minutes in when I was frustrated I thought about Team THP and letting you guys down and I used it to keep me going despite the awful elements.

Get it mike. It will pay off for sure!

Absolutely waiting for the AHA moment.

Driving range session went very well, considering it was my first time out this year.

I decided to replicate (in a condensed form) the process my instructor put me through went I took my first lessons 2 years ago. Started with swinging a 9 iron around my body, thinking "L to L". Then I moved to hitting balls of the turf with my feet together, keeping that "L to L" thought. Then I went to 1/2 swings with a bit of shoulder turn. Then I went to full swings at a slow tempo, and then just a few full tempo full swings, with nothing longer than a 7 iron.

The full swings were decent, but not great. I am quite happy with that, though, as I have been worried about even getting the ball airborne and/or taking mammoth divots prior to striking the ball, and I didn't see too many tops or chunks.

Over the next couple weeks I'll keep this routine up, incorporate the longer clubs and hope things stay on track.

Another pleasant surprise was seeing that I retained much of the work I put into chipping and pitching last year.

And to top things off, my new Addizero Sport II shoes felt great!

Well went back to the course after getting a nap and eating and practiced chipping and putting for an hour.

Good session, but still got a ways to go. Still am prone to blading or fatting it. This is no bueno.

Actually started using the putting alignment on the balls, hey that helps. Haha.

2 hours of short game practice today. About an hour of putting using a tee to help align my putts like canadan suggested, seemed pretty effective. *30 minutes of sand play which is improving quite a bit, and 30 minutes of chipping from tight lies and rough.

2 hours of short game practice today. About an hour of putting using a tee to help align my putts like canadan suggested, seemed pretty effective. *30 minutes of sand play which is improving quite a bit, and 30 minutes of chipping from tight lies and rough.

Excellent work.

Keep grinding.

After a rough round, really worked tempo again as I lost a few tee balls by not keeping smooth tempo.

Just came in from 70 swings with my skillz gold flex, 50 swings with my iron head weighted sleeve, I haven't set up the birdieball green in awhile...

Pretty long range session today working on maintaining lag. Kept putting coins a few inches in front of the ball as a way to compress and had a towel stationed behind the ball to promote proper impact. It's slow going though. The swing feels great, but I think I'm getting my hands to far above my head instead of away from me. So I need to work on width as well.

I think less balls at the range is a good idea. Quality over quantity. I definitely see a point of diminishing returns after awhile

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a great range session tonight. Really worked on the turn and keeping the right elbow hugging my mid section.

I spent a good amount of time working my 3 wood and I hit it the best I've ever hit it tonight. I was even able to start drawing the ball with that club. I wish I could translate that to my driver but it is still a work in progress.

Can't wait to see if I can bring the work tonight to the course.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Had a great range session today, worked mainly on my driver and found a few ajustements that helped a lot, hope i can get that progress to the course

Pretty long range session today working on maintaining lag. Kept putting coins a few inches in front of the ball as a way to compress and had a towel stationed behind the ball to promote proper impact. It's slow going though. The swing feels great, but I think I'm getting my hands to far above my head instead of away from me. So I need to work on width as well.

I think less balls at the range is a good idea. Quality over quantity. I definitely see a point of diminishing returns after awhile.

That last part is something I definitely agree with. When I'm really working on my game a medium bucket will last me about two hours. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

I've been obsessing over how to maintain or create lag, and why my swing hasn't had as much in the last month or so. It's been frustrating only because I'm making impact with the center of the clubface and my swing had been consistent, but ball flight had been a little high and about 10 yards short. Everything except my driver for some reason. Sure I could adjust and play with it, but I don't want to settle and am interested in figuring out what I'm doing.

Two articles that resonated with me are below and I thought I'd share them. They're long and wordy, but the main message makes a lot of sense to me; don't try to create lag by forcing it with your wrists, use the downswing path to create it. A few months ago, that meant I used my left arm exclusively to bring the club through impact, but as I've started to get the club parallel to the target at the top of my backswing, I haven't been able to keep that lag angle at impact.

These articles were interesting in focusing on the movement of the hands on the downswing. For me, I noticed an immediate difference when I start my hands away from the target (or backwards) then down to the ball, instead of trying to move my arms down exclusively. Starting the hands away creates this tight pulley concept and that angle is naturally there through impact.

Anyways, it's a bit technical, but I thought I'd share because it's really helped me and maybe it will help others.

http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/endlessbelt.htm

http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/casting.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The course was packed today and I had somewhere to be this afternoon so instead of trying to squeeze in a round, I put in a much needed 2 1/2 hour short game practice session.
After spending about an hour on the practice green putting, I made my way back to a chipping green that is behind hole #10 at my course. I had never been to that green before, and didn't realize they had about 100 yards of fairway behind the maintenance shed, talk about a nice surprise! I spent the next 90 minutes working on pitches 40 yards and in as I have really been struggling with that part of my game lately.

Got a good range session in today. Been pretty busy with work and a weekend in Berlin but things are settling down now so hopefully I can get some work in.

Pretty happy with my swing through all my clubs, driver is probably the best it's ever been right now.

Haven't been on a course for a few weeks though, can't wait to get out there, maybe this week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had a really really good long slow range session. Hit every club I grabbed well. Spent some quality time with the pops. (Maddog701) all in all it was a very productive encouraging day on the range.

When everything is going good...life throws you lemons...
ytanepyj.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

When everything is going good...life throws you lemons...
ytanepyj.jpg

Damn that sucks. Sorry dude

Yup. Going to be rocking 3 wood off the tee for a bit. Time to learn to hit my TourSpoon.

I got a hundred balls at the range today, I wanted to work on some stuff. There was a small roped off section for instructors only, i decided to set up shop next to it. I swung a few shots, he wasnt doing anything. Then I said man, tryin to work on that slice haha. and he started to help me out. I never did quite get my slice fixed, but am on the way. Started hitting my irons a lot better, needed to plce ball much further back in stance!

I spent some time at the range on Friday evening after work to try and work on my swing changes. Due to not having hit a ball for a couple weeks it took a little bit of time to get the feeling I was looking for again, but I was hitting more good shots than bad ones so the practice is definitely paying off

As I wasn't in one of the usual bays I am not 100% certain, but it appeared that on the better shots I was hitting, there was an increase in distance as I hit a number of drives almost through to the far end of the range which I haven't managed before

I can still feel that I am occasionally reverting to my 'old' swing so more time will be needed to work on removing that swing from my memory completely, but as a current work in progress I am happy with how it is going

Also spent a bit of time around the chipping green, but found that a little bit difficult as I didn't have the right club for the distances I had to work with between the edge of the green and the pin position, although that did mean that I was practicing shots I wouldn't normally play - with varying degrees of success......when I hit my landing target I put most of them to within tap-in distance but also holed a few as well

In hindsight, it may have been better to place a basket somewhere else on the green and use that as my target instead of the pin

Well, taking the recent changes from my lesson from the comfort of the driving range to the golf course was a big fail. LOL. I stuck with it though. Figured I'd at least just do that, because it's not going to get better ignoring it. Contact was good, but I was hitting balls 20-40 yards (straight) right of my target on pretty much every swing until the 15th hole. Full swings that is. I really thought I was just pushing the ball, but was fortunate to have a friend with me. He took a look at my setup, and laid down a club on my foot line, which was literally pointing 40 yards right of my target. Setting up 'square' felt really really wrong. Basically like I was 40 yards to the left, but the eyes obviously lie. After that and some concentration the ball started going where I was hoping it would, which was a relief.

This week will be spending a good deal of time working on alignment. Setting up a gate to hit through, using my pre-shot routine for each range ball, etc. Basically using the gate to solidify that I'm set up right and the preshot routine to help my eyes understand/remember what they need to be looking at. Hopefully that will help, but I think this won't be a quick fix. Will probably have to stick with it for a while to get it cemented in.

Putting stroke has really been treating me well. Wedges are fine too.

Lots of work to do this week. Hoping to get 36 in one day over the weekend, if not both days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back