Annika Academy - Callaway Performance Center Fitting for Adwillingham

adwillingham

2024 Vokey Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
When I found out that I was going to be a Callaway sponsored member of the Morgan Cup, I was determined to get the best brand specific fitting I could find. Callaway offers Callaway Performance Centers around the country, and I knew from past participants and my fellow staffers this year that these facilities were exactly what I wanted for this experience. However, short of flying to Carlsbad to the ECPC, there was one location that was my dream destination for this...the Annika Academy.

The convergence of a family vacation at the beaches outside of Tampa/St. Pete and a May 20[SUP]th[/SUP] deadline for Callaway staffer orders allowed me to set up a CPC full bag fitting at the Annika Academy this morning. The below is the account of my incredible morning.

My fitting was scheduled via the online inquiry system and a subsequent phone call from Crystal there at the Academy. The website said a full bag 90 minute fitting was $150, a price I would have gladly paid, but Crystal said they were having a special and it was only $100...a freaking steal. The date and time were set for today, May 19[SUP]th[/SUP] at 10 AM. Crystal said I could get there about 15 minutes early to warm up out on the range, and that I would need my driver and 6-iron.

I left the condo this morning at 7 AM knowing I would have to transverse Tampa in rush hour to make the 90 minute trip up to Reunion Resort. It was a bit slow, but I pulled off I-4 at 9 AM and hit Dunkin Donuts for a sugar loading before heading over to the facility at about 9:30. The Annika Academy is located at the opposite end of the main driving range at Reunion Resort, which ironically was the home of the first Morgan Cup which in turn was the last time I was on those awesome grounds. I walked up to the building with full bag in tow, went inside, and met Crystal. After filling out some information, ogling the magnificent Annika trophy cases, and paying my meager fee, she set me up out on the range hitting back toward the beautiful hotel building.

Not picking up a club for a week, and driving 10 hours Saturday was not the best combination, but the muscles eventually started warming up (as did the rest of me on a Florida humid morning), and before I know it, Dave Wheeler, the unfortunate individual trying to fit my swing comes out of the building and speaks to the gentlemen conducting a lesson behind me...who was in fact Mr. Henri Reis, Annika’s personal coach. Poor guy had been conducting a lesson there as I had made sure that any worms in the first hundred yards of the range had been beheaded.

Dave and I start discussing why I am there today, and he knew all about THP and the Morgan Cup...having personally fit Tadashi and Buckjob last year. I explained to him that I was in the midst of taking lessons and trying to change some swing elements, and that I was expecting nothing more than trying to fit whatever the swing of the day presented. Dave was great the whole day about deleting out the thin and fat shots and not offering up swing thoughts and lessons. After seeing a few outdoor swings, we headed inside to see the studio...and what an amazing place it is.

The CPC at the Annika Academy uses the Callaway Performance Analysis System (CPAS) which is a dual camera based 3D launch monitor system that will measure your club head and golf ball speeds, launch angle, back-spin, side angle, club path and attack angles. Really a nice system, and Dave explained it well. This review is going to be light on numbers because I pretty much just let Dave tell me what was looking better or not and I was replying back with how things felt.

Irons: We started with irons, and Dave had me hit my Xhot Pro on the CPAS to help establish a baseline. These irons were generating pretty good effeciency numbers, but the launch was on the higher side of the range he wanted to see, so as we talked about what I liked and didn’t want to see visually. We tried the Apex head with the same PX95 Flighted 5.5 that are in my current sticks, KBS Tour 90S, KBS Tour R and S, one of the DG models, and the KBS Tour V Regular. Of those options, the Tour V Regular gave me the best combination of feel and numbers. Jumping around, Dave took some static measurements, and used some charts to say that I needed to go +0.25” in length. We also hit a few specially marked balls against some special face tape to show that I could benefit from having the clubs 1 degree upright as well.

Hybrids/FW: Dave had me hit the X2Hot Hybrids and Big Bertha FW outside, and really saw good results with both of them in the stock stiff shafts. We talked about some of the other shaft options with the hybrids, but they were all heavier in weight than the stock blue X2Hot shafts. I tried one of the X2Hot heads with the green X2Hot shaft (which is heavier) and really didn’t care for going heavier. Later in the session, we took the three clubs back inside and I hit them on the CPAS to take a look at gapping and play with some of the other options to see numbers. I tried a Big Bertha 5 wood, which was almost identical numbers to the X2Hot 3 Hybrid...I tried a X2Hot 4 wood, which was pretty similar to the Bertha 3 wood. At the end of the day, pretty much going with the similar 3 wood, 3 hybrid, 4 hybrid configuration I have now. I have to say though, the X2Hot hybrids may be my favorite of the new clubs...man those things are great.

Driver: Dave had me hit my driver on the CPAS and we talked about some of the thoughts I had in choosing that one and talking about what I was seeing of late as lessons have progressed. Between those pieces of information, Dave started me with the Big Bertha head and a Kuro Kage shaft. This combo didn’t fare too well, but Dave learned a bit on direction to try next, and pulled out two shafts, the Speeder 661 and the Handcrafted Project X, and outside we went. He put the Speeder 661 in the Bertha head and had me swing away. Well, you know that moment people talk about in fittings where they swing a club and Handel’s Messiah starts rippling through the air...yeah, I didn’t think I would ever have that moment, but it happened with this combo. Then it happened two more times. Then we went inside to the CPAS, hit it three more times, and if I had had a deeper wallet, I would have walked out the door with that club. Alas, I will have to put it on an order sheet and wait until the end of July.

Wedges/Putter/Ball/Etc.: Ok, so I’m getting tire of typing, and I’m sure folks are getting tired of reading. We talked putters, I tried a few, and I’m going with a White Hot Pro #2 at 35” with a SuperStroke Slim 2.0 grip. We talked wedges, and he agreed with my thought to go through the SW with the Apex, and add just a single 58 degree MD2. Throughout the fitting, we used a SR2 ball, and the various hitting confirmed this was a good choice.

Overall: Ok, so my fitting started at 10 AM, was supposed to be 90 minutes...and I left with a spec sheet at 12:30 PM. Dave didn’t have a fitting in the slot after mine, and just kept letting me ask question after question, scenario after scenario, internet golf thought after internet golf thought. He was simply awesome through this whole process, and I couldn’t have had any more fun if I had tried. This was an amazing experience, and I’m pretty sure Ms. Annika herself was walking around the office as I was wrapping up with Dave.

Gotta get up to take the kids to see the Mouse tomorrow, so my write-up will gratefully come to a close...for now.

Just amazing.

Thanks for sharing Donne. That's an incredible experience, and you're definitely set up for success at the MC.

Sounds like a great fitting and full of info and you'll be lined up for the MC, sounds like a win/win/win for sure!

Great read Donne! Everyone who experiences the Annika Academy for a fitting is getting the royal treatment which is totally awesome. Sound like you had a great time down there. Enjoy the mouse with the boys buddy

Looks like your bag is all set for July. Have fun tomorrow and enjoy the rest of your family vacation!

Great writeup, Cap. And I agree, the X2Hot hybrids might be some of my new favorite clubs.

Having talked to you a couple times about it, what made you chose the #2 WHP? I know we had bandied around a couple other putters.

Really glad you were able to have a great fitting. I think the CPC's are one underrated way Callaway is really creating some brand loyalty. Seems like everyone had some really great experiences, and are coming in really confident in their bag.

Great writeup Donne. Very solid setup there my friend.

Great write-up, Captain. I love it when the fitter takes the time to talk and is genuinely interested in helping get the best bag for your needs. That's awesome you were able to spend that long at the fitting. Can't wait to see you take the Big Dog out in Myrtle.

As a follow-up, the order placed looks like this, which is 100% the spec sheet I left the fitting with.

Driver: Big Bertha, RH, 9 Degree, Standard Length, Fujikura Motore SPEEDER 661 Stiff Flex, Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound Black/White Midsize, 0 Extra Wraps of Tape

FW: Big Bertha, RH, 3W, Standard Length, Big Bertha Fubuki Zeta Stiff Flex, Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound Black/White Midsize, 0 Extra Wraps of Tape

Hybrid: X2 Hot, RH, 3H, Standard Length, X2 Hot Stock (Blue) Stiff Flex, Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound Black/White Midsize, 0 Extra Wraps of Tape

Hybrid: X2 Hot, RH, 4H, Standard Length, X2 Hot Stock (Blue) Stiff Flex, Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound Black/White Midsize, 0 Extra Wraps of Tape

Irons: Apex, RH, 5 iron, +0.25” Length, 1 degree Upright, Standard Loft, KBS Tour-V Regular Flex, Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound Black/White Midsize, 0 Extra Wraps of Tape

Irons: Apex, RH, 6 iron, +0.25” Length, 1 degree Upright, Standard Loft, KBS Tour-V Regular Flex, Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound Black/White Midsize, 0 Extra Wraps of Tape

Irons: Apex, RH, 7 iron, +0.25” Length, 1 degree Upright, Standard Loft, KBS Tour-V Regular Flex, Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound Black/White Midsize, 0 Extra Wraps of Tape

Irons: Apex, RH, 8 iron, +0.25” Length, 1 degree Upright, Standard Loft, KBS Tour-V Regular Flex, Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound Black/White Midsize, 0 Extra Wraps of Tape

Irons: Apex, RH, 9 iron, +0.25” Length, 1 degree Upright, Standard Loft, KBS Tour-V Regular Flex, Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound Black/White Midsize, 0 Extra Wraps of Tape

Irons: Apex, RH, PW, +0.25” Length, 1 degree Upright, Standard Loft, KBS Tour-V Regular Flex, Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound Black/White Midsize, 0 Extra Wraps of Tape

Irons: Apex, RH, AW, +0.25” Length, 1 degree Upright, Standard Loft, KBS Tour-V Regular Flex, Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound Black/White Midsize, 0 Extra Wraps of Tape

Irons: Apex, RH, SW, +0.25” Length, 1 degree Upright, Loft - 1 degree strong (54 deg), KBS Tour-V Regular Flex, Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound Black/White Midsize, 0 Extra Wraps of Tape

Wedge: Mack Daddy 2 Chrome, RH, +0.25” Length, Standard Lie, Loft – 58 deg, 14 bounce, C Grind, KBS Tour-V Regular Flex, Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound Black/White Midsize, 0 Extra Wraps of Tape

Putter: White Hot Pro #2, Length 35”, Standard Lie, Grip – SuperStroke Slim 3.0 Black/White

Golf Ball: Callaway SR2, White

Glove Size: XL

Wonderful write up, Donne! Wow, what an amazing fitting experience.

Having talked to you a couple times about it, what made you chose the #2 WHP? I know we had bandied around a couple other putters.

It came down to two putters for me. The WHP #2 and the Versa #6. While my first preference is center shafted, I have the WHP #7 CS, and I keep going back to the WHP #2 CS that I bought last year. Just have better speed control with it, however the CS version of the #2 is not one of this year's models, so I decided through practice that I can manage the half-shaft offset on those two models. At the end of the day, it was the sight line on the bottom flange, versus the Versa striping...and the #2 WHP won out.

Thats awesome, Donne. Thanks for sharing!

Donne, it looks like you have a great bag coming there. Love the 4 hybrid in the X2Hot.

I so want to try that Speeder in a BB head! Nice writeup Donne. Glad to see you found a great setup with a mix of stock and custom.

It came down to two putters for me. The WHP #2 and the Versa #6. While my first preference is center shafted, I have the WHP #7 CS, and I keep going back to the WHP #2 CS that I bought last year. Just have better speed control with it, however the CS version of the #2 is not one of this year's models, so I decided through practice that I can manage the half-shaft offset on those two models. At the end of the day, it was the sight line on the bottom flange, versus the Versa striping...and the #2 WHP won out.
Gotcha. Great looking bag, Cap. Much as I like the Versa and what they're going for, I think simple is better. Same insert, I too prefer the WHP over it.

An awesome right up for what sounds like an awesome experience. I'm glad to hear that it didn't turn it to a lesson about how you should or should not be swinging.

Really enjoyed reading this, glad you had your aha moment.

Awesome Donne. That was a fun read and the bag looks great!

Awesome to see you have such a good experience like I Did Capt! Set up to win!

Thanks for the in depth write up, I live that fitters are starting to get repeat Morgan Cup players so they know how special of an event it truly is and you get a fitting just as special.

Great write up, Donne. Sounds like a really neat experience and a great fitting. That place is such an awesome facility. Awesome you were able to do your fitting there!

Great write up and nice bag. Did you even try the handmade project x he pulled out or you just know the speeder was the one?

Great read. Makes me want to visit this place

Thanks, Donne. Amazing as usual.

That seals it. I must do this.

Great write up and nice bag. Did you even try the handmade project x he pulled out or you just know the speeder was the one?

We didn't hit the handmade after seeing what the Speeder did. Dave made a comment that I missed in my euphoria that it would do something marginally different, and at that moment I just wanted what I had just seen to happen, nothing more or less.

Back